What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Trixie left her top off...  (Read 4849 times)

Bama

Trixie left her top off...
« on: January 11, 2007, 05:50:28 pm »
Ok, we all have a fear that someday we might do the same!
For 3 hours today, Trixie goes off shopping and leaves the top off of the hot tub!
What a poop head!!!  What am I going to do with her??
Do you think any damage has been done to the heater or the pump that runs all the while the heater is on?  The only positive thing I can say is, it was only 60 degrees outside today.
Should I admit this to my husband?  Or, should I lie and tell him that someone broke into our home just to soak in the hot tub and that's how it got left open and that's why our electric bill is a gazillion dollars?    :o  :o

Hot Tub Forum

Trixie left her top off...
« on: January 11, 2007, 05:50:28 pm »

Brookenstein

Re: Trixie left her top off...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 06:09:38 pm »
I leave the top off at least once a month if not more... if I find it within 8 hours I'm doing good.  Honestly, this is why I don't leave it off after adding dichlor daily.  I would never return to put it back on.

I really don't think doing it one time is a big deal.  I would omit the info from husband if he's gonna be mad... my husband just laughs and tells me I'd lose my head if it wasn't attached.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:12:19 pm »
so if I've read this correctly, the cover was off and the jets were running for 3 hours....the tub is full, I also assume? If the heater ran intermittently just to keep the water at temp, there shouldn't be any question of damage. I'd consider it to be the same as having used it for 3 hours straight, and not worry about it. 3 hours of use isn't going to kill your electric bill. It'll be the same as (again) having used the tub for 3 hours....
RIP C-Rod

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:40:30 pm »
I don't think that would be an issue. What if you had a hot tub party and people where going in and out of your tub for a period of 3 hours?

Bama

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 07:33:40 pm »
Really,  you guys have parties and have the cover off for 3 hours or more???
Wow, I live a boring life!!!
I thought I (I mean Trixie) had done something horrible by leaving the cover off for so long!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 04:29:08 am »
I know this guy,Jeff.....who has several 3 hour tub partys a year.
Retired

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 10:08:34 am »
You might see a jump in your next electrical bill, but  I can't see how you would have done any damage to the pumps or heaters.

Does Trixi tell her husband? Depends...who pays the bills and how much "oversight" is there?  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

Reese

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 10:22:59 am »
You might see a jump in your next electrical bill...
Again, me doing math without a calculator is always a risk, but even if the heater ran for the whole three hours, it would cost less than a couple of bucks (5.5 kW X 3 X $0.10/kWh).  The heater won't be damaged, because it has to run much longer than that to reheat water after a refill.  IMO, the only concern is leaves/dirt/etc blowing into the tub if it was a windy day -- and that can be easily cleaned up.  This is the equivalent of leaving a light on, or not getting the refrigerator door shut.  Don't sweat it!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 10:33:54 am »
3 hours in 60 degree weather on a spa with an adequate amount of water in it won't hurt it in the least.  And the impact on your power bill will be very minor.  
 You're essentially just using the spa.  

Are you sure your pumps and heater even ran the entire 3 hours?  My pumps shut themselves off after 20 minutes, unless the filter cycle is running.  And the heat will only run when the water temperature drops.  In warm weather the running pumps keep the water heated during use, so the heater might have hardly ran at all.
Even if it did- that's what it's supposed to do.  

Kinda like asking if it's okay that you drove your car for 3 hours when you only meant to drive 1 hour.  You burned a bit of extra gas.

This whole episode probably didn't even cost $2.  Don't say anything at all, and see if Mr. Bama even notices the electric bill.  Odds are he won't.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:36:12 am by Brewman »
Brewman

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 11:06:34 am »
Lying to your spouse is not advisable.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 11:12:31 am »
Lying?  Absolutley not.

Forgetting to mention something? Perfectly understandable.  ;)

BUt then again if leaving the cover off a hot tub for a few hours will cause a major probelm with your spouse, then I think you might have bigger concerns in your relationship.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 11:13:58 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 12:13:32 pm »
Lying?  Absolutley not.

Forgetting to mention something? Perfectly understandable.  ;)

BUt then again if leaving the cover off a hot tub for a few hours will cause a major probelm with your spouse, then I think you might have bigger concerns in your relationship.

No Kidding.  

Talk about creating much ado about nothing.  

How was anything harmed by simply leaving a spa uncovered for 3 hours on a warm day?  

Was the spa hurt in any way?  Doubtful.  

This was such a non event, in my opinion, that it doesn't merit being even brought up in a coversation.  

If you left the TV on while you were out and didn't tell your spouse about it, would that be lying?  Same exact type of thing..

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 12:14:58 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 12:49:32 pm »

No Kidding.  

Talk about creating much ado about nothing.  

How was anything harmed by simply leaving a spa uncovered for 3 hours on a warm day?  

Was the spa hurt in any way?  Doubtful.  
 This was such a non event, in my opinion, that it doesn't merit being even brought up in a coversation.  

If you left the TV on while you were out and didn't tell your spouse about it, would that be lying?  Same exact type of thing..

Over dinner:

Yea, I had a good day, the repairman said he'd come by on Tuesday to look at the dishwasher....

Oh good.  Hey,  this chicken tastes great....

Thank you, I got the recipe off a cooking website.. Oh, I left the cover off the hot tub for a few hours.

That was dumb. Please pass the gravy.....
07 Caldera Geneva

Bama

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 07:48:17 pm »
Drewstar,  you are too funny!
No, it's not a problem to tell my husband that I left the cover off the tub...
he pampers me like a princess.
In fact, I've already told him and he said, "pass the gravy, please".   ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 07:48:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42