What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Noob questions about D1  (Read 2692 times)

don.davis

Noob questions about D1
« on: January 10, 2007, 06:01:05 pm »
Hi, all!  I've just moved to VA and located a D1 spa that is supposed to be around 10 years old.  It has a Jacuzzi pump and UV purifier, but other than that I couldn't see too much about it when I looked.  The sellers stated that the previous (and original, from what I understand) owner had had to have the heating element serviced a few times.  From the D1 site as best I can tell, it's a Diplomat.  It's clean, sitting vertically on a trailer, exterior wood is all there in good shape, no cracks or chips or other faults visible in the shell.  Asking price, delivered, is $300.  I believe that to be fair if it's working, but then again I don't want to spend another $1k to put it right if it needs help.  They said it was working when it was disconnected and are including chemicals with it.

I've searched the forums for D1 and (as with any other brand) there are pros and cons and supporters and detractors.

My questions are:

1.  Is D1 a good brand, generally speaking?  I mean, are there any known gremlins inherent to that brand?
2.  If all else (pump, filter/purifier, shell, etc) are fine, is the heater a big deal?
3.  Is $300 a fair price if it's working?

Opinions and advice of those more experienced than I are appreciated!

Thanks,
Don in VA
donald.j.davis@gmail.com

Hot Tub Forum

Noob questions about D1
« on: January 10, 2007, 06:01:05 pm »

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
Re: Noob questions about D1
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 06:56:57 pm »
D1, from my research, is one of the top five spa makers around.

Larry Becker

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:37:54 pm »
$300 delivered is basically a free spa. Most places would charge that much for delivery...

D1 still sells a spa called the Diplomat -- don't know if it's the same as they're always upgrading their models. The GOOD news is that D1 is still around and parts are available. If the ozone generator (I assume that's what you mean by "UV purifier") is original it may need to be replaced.

What color is the shell? If white, then it is their "lifetime" shell and may still have some warranty available. Here is a link to the D1 site for that spa. Is it similar to yours?
http://www.d1spas.com/spa_selector.asp?spa=2

Good Luck

Larry
2005 D-1 Sarena Bay

don.davis

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 07:53:33 pm »
Larry, the shell is in fact an off-white with a faux blue tile insert around the inside.  It's the same dimensions as the one you cited from the D1 site, 7.5 ft on the side.

So, for $300 it's not a bad way to enter the spa foray, if it works?

For informations' sake, what would a heating element or ozone generator run me?

Thanks for your help and ideas on this!
Don

Larry Becker

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 08:42:06 pm »
Just having purchased my D1 Sarena Bay a few months ago, I am REALLY a noobie in this stuff myself.

I would say that it's worth a call to your local D1 dealer -- assuming there is one there. Ask what you might be concerned about in an older spa, if there is still warranty available on the shell, and maybe if they will do a spa checkup for you (my term) to see if there's anything wrong with it. If it was indeed working when it was taken down, I bet you'd be ok. But in 10 years there's plenty that can happen to a spa. You may end up replacing a pump or heating element or control panel -- any of these is, I think, $3-500 or so...

If a pump is weak, you may want to replace it, or if some jets are clogged or sticky, they are replaceable, too.

Buying something that used is a risk, so you just need to evaluate what the risks might be. Only a dealer could help you with that, I think. I am not aware of any D1 dealers that frequent this site.

I bought a never-wet floor model and thought I was pretty safe, but it had a cracked pipe ("union") in it, and it took a day or so to find the right part. You never know. For some of us, nothing is ever easy...

Good luck!

Larry
2005 D-1 Sarena Bay

jgirvine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 08:51:08 pm »
For what the information is worth, we own a 2002 D1 Triad.  We are very pleased with it.  Only problem has been the lighting on the buttons has gone out making it hard to read the screen.  But, we are dealing  with it.  The ozone light has to be replaced about every 2 years, so keep that in mind...but for the price you quoted.  I would jump on it.

Larry Becker

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 09:04:28 pm »
For what the information is worth, we own a 2002 D1 Triad.  We are very pleased with it.  Only problem has been the lighting on the buttons has gone out making it hard to read the screen.  But, we are dealing  with it.  The ozone light has to be replaced about every 2 years, so keep that in mind...but for the price you quoted.  I would jump on it.

What did it cost to replace the ozone light? I imagine Don will have to do something like that... I think some people never bother replacing these... they just add more chemicals.

Larry
2005 D-1 Sarena Bay

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 09:17:40 pm »
At $300, what do you really have to lose? I'd go for it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 09:17:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42