What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How often should I clean my filter?  (Read 4523 times)

neocacher

How often should I clean my filter?
« on: December 27, 2006, 05:34:24 pm »
I have purchased a spare already, so that part is done.

i have been using tub 2-3 times a day for 2 weeks.  I removed the filter and there is some yellowing , but not too bad.

Should I degrease it now or wait another couple weeks until it is grungier?

Neo

Hot Tub Forum

How often should I clean my filter?
« on: December 27, 2006, 05:34:24 pm »

cparlf

Re: How often should I clean my filter?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 06:00:03 pm »
I am far from an expert, but willing to share what I do as I may learn if I am off the mark as well.  I have a Sundance Optima, there are two filters.  One, the 'microclean' I think it is called, I replace every few months and costs about 15 bucks.  The other is the normal big pleated pup.  I have two of these, one is the tub the other in a plastic bag in reserve.  To clean, I soak the pleated one in filter cleaner solution over night then rinse until the water company drives over and yells at me and Al Gore spot lights me on his enviro campaigns.  While this one is drying, I put the other pleated one in.  This is usually every two to three months, more often if high use.  In between I take out the pleated one and simply hose it off real good.  Amazing how much difference the hosing alone does.  You might want to try that first.

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 06:08:05 pm »
You might want to check with the manufacturer.  If you don't have a manual, you might try checking their website.  

For my Tiger River, I swap out the filter each and every month at the beginning of the month.  This makes keeping track really easy.

If I'm having a really bad water problem (which I have not had since switching to bromine), I might swap it out more than once in a month's time.

If your manufacturer can't recommend a schedule, I would figure out what works best for you.

Best of luck.

neocacher

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 08:47:37 pm »
Well, I have a small Caldera, with just a single pleated filter.  I was hoping someone with similar type of filter could tell me , based on my usage if I should do more than 1 time a month, and maybe do it every 2 weeks.

Neo

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 09:18:44 pm »
Neo, I've had my tub for 2 months now. It has two regular pleated filters and I'm yet to soak them in any cleaner. All I do is hose them off once a week with a high pressure nozzle. I still haven't had a hint of cloudiness even when I was soaking twice a day for a month. I think I'll wait for my first water change in a month or so before I do it.

neocacher

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 09:21:06 pm »
I don't think that i am suppose to wait for cloudiness before I clean my filter, am I?  And why would you NOT soak your filters in 2 months, when it is so easy and if you have  time to do it? :o

Neo

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 09:22:48 pm by neocacher »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 09:30:05 pm »
I change out my filters once a month or so. My tub doesn't get used much, maybe 2x a week and I have used cleaner every time I take them out for the past 4 months. Before that I would just rinse them out monthly

I just started using filter cleaner, I used to soak them in bleach but I wanted something soapy to cut through the body oils.

My dealer recommended rinsing weekly ... it was a real PITA!  I figured monthly is good enough.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 09:33:33 pm »
I don't think that i am suppose to wait for cloudiness before I clean my filter, am I?  And why would you NOT soak your filters in 2 months, when it is so easy and if you have  time to do it? :o

Neo

All I know is that my water is clear and my filters are as white as new, so nothing has given me an indication to soak them yet. I was just sharing my experience with you, not advising. Everyone's water is different. You asked for anyone with pleated filters to chime, so I did.
BTW, if it's so easy to do, why are you asking how often it should be done. Just do it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 09:35:29 pm by WHY_NOT »

neocacher

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 09:46:11 pm »
WHY NOT

Personally, I think it should be done at least once a month. That is why I was surprised you went 2 months, with as much as you use it.  That's all i meant.  Your first post didnt mention that your filters were "white as new".  My are not white as new, there is some yellowing going on, though i dont see any CHUNKS of things stuck in it.

The downside to cleaning more often than necessary is that those cleaners are EXPENSIVE.   A quart bottle is 15 bucks at my dealer, and it says to mix 1 quart to 3 quarts of water.  That is not even enough to submerge my filter!

I think I will try the spray method the first time and see how much I use up. Hopefully it wont use too much, and by then, maybe i can find some discount cleaner online.

Hopefully I will get lots more ADVICE!

Neo

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 10:29:49 pm »
I rins my filter every 1.5 weeks.

every 2 month i put it in the solution.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 10:59:57 am »
I change out my filters once a month or so. My tub doesn't get used much, maybe 2x a week and I have used cleaner every time I take them out for the past 4 months. Before that I would just rinse them out monthly

I just started using filter cleaner, I used to soak them in bleach but I wanted something soapy to cut through the body oils.

My dealer recommended rinsing weekly ... it was a real PITA!  I figured monthly is good enough.

I clean in filter solution once a month.  Filter cleaning is the worst part of owning a hot tub, so I like to keep it as simple as possible....and I only have to clean one filter (very important to me).  I would never rinse my fitlers weekly.

neocacher

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 11:06:45 am »
I think for now I will clean my filter with solution monthly, and maybe go with a quick rinse after 2 weeks.  In addition, I will rotate filters, letting the dirty one dry out after cleaning.  When I lower my usage, I will probably go to every 2 months.

Neo

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 01:20:03 pm »
....The downside to cleaning more often than necessary is that those cleaners are EXPENSIVE.   A quart bottle is 15 bucks at my dealer, and it says to mix 1 quart to 3 quarts of water.  That is not even enough to submerge my filter!.....Neo

Neo, you might want to consider one of these http://www.spadepot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MT1029&Category_Code=Maintenance

I have one that fits my filter and I use 2.5 gallons of water to soak the entire filter (vs. a 5 gallon bucket).  I use 1/2 the amount of filter cleaner (I use a dry granular cleaner that you mix with water).  It also has a lid, so if I leave it outside soaking overnight, it doesn't matter if it rains.  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 03:05:41 pm »

Neo, you might want to consider one of these http://www.spadepot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MT1029&Category_Code=Maintenance

I have one that fits my filter and I use 2.5 gallons of water to soak the entire filter (vs. a 5 gallon bucket).  I use 1/2 the amount of filter cleaner (I use a dry granular cleaner that you mix with water).  It also has a lid, so if I leave it outside soaking overnight, it doesn't matter if it rains.  

I use a filter flask.  It was well worth the money for me.  I keep my filter cleanning solution for four months without issue.

In Canada eh

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 04:50:18 pm »
Neo,

I have a simalar sized tub as you do (apprx. 300 us gals).  I rinse my filter once every week, just quickly with a garden hose in the laundry tub during the winter.  Once a month I soak my filter for 24 hours in filter cleaner followed by 24 hours in a 5 ppm chlorine/water mix.   All seems to be going well so far :)
Bullfrog 451

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 04:50:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42