What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Tub - Filter Question  (Read 4857 times)

brentp

New Tub - Filter Question
« on: December 27, 2006, 12:30:22 pm »
OK - our new tub arrived yesterday, is now hooked up and in the process of heating up for our fist soak tonight.

It is an Artesian Island Series Antigua with 42 jets.  I have a quick question and couldn't find the answer anywhere in the owner's manual (that manual leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion!).

The tub is a 2 pump model and has 2 filters, . . . nothing special there.  But, one filter is a 'normal' type SPA filter with lots of pleats and a blue plastic frame, . . . the other is also a pleated filter - but has much less surface area (pleats) and has a purple frame.  The blue one screws into a pipe with no 'screen' on the left side, . . . the purple one screws into a pipe where there is a very coarse plastic screen built in on the right side.  The system also has a 24/7 circ pump.

Is there a difference in what these 2 filters are used for and do they need to be different?  I would like to buy a 2nd set of filters, but would like to understand why they are different.  One would think that if they truly are different and need to be that way, . . . the manual would clearly indicate this.  Hoping someone with an Artesian SPA might know, . . . the guys that delivered the tub were clueless.

Thanks in advance!  Back in Hot Water tonight after a loooong wait!

Hot Tub Forum

New Tub - Filter Question
« on: December 27, 2006, 12:30:22 pm »

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
Re: New Tub - Filter Question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 12:45:18 pm »
I would call my dealer.
do both filter look brand new?

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 12:45:59 pm »
congrats to you new tub

Happy tubbing

brentp

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 12:50:05 pm »
I would call my dealer.
do both filter look brand new?

Will call - just thought I'd ask the 'experts' here in case I get a sales pitch.  Yes - both appear to be new.

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 12:54:47 pm »
I would call the dealer but my hunch is that one is for the circ pump and the other for the filtering while the pumps are running and someone is in it.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 01:20:38 pm »
The purple filter is a microban filter (inhibits the growth of bacteria on the filter media) and should go on your cric pump side.

If I was buying a second set just get the std filters and save the money of the microban as it will cost more.  Your choice.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 01:37:38 pm »
The purple filter is a microban filter (inhibits the growth of bacteria on the filter media) and should go on your cric pump side.

If I was buying a second set just get the std filters and save the money of the microban as it will cost more.  Your choice.

It is a microban filter and I agree with Jacuzzi Jim - don't waste your money on a microban filter.

I use them interchangably and my tub actually came with 2 microban filters. BTW the screen filter opening is the circ pump opening.

I thought Artesian went away from the microban filters and have disposable now ... I'll be looking into that when the time comes to buy new filters.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 01:43:26 pm »

It is a microban filter and I agree with Jacuzzi Jim - don't waste your money on a microban filter.

I use them interchangably and my tub actually came with 2 microban filters. BTW the screen filter opening is the circ pump opening.

I thought Artesian went away from the microban filters and have disposable now ... I'll be looking into that when the time comes to buy new filters.

I have not heard the diposable deal yet least they didnt show it in Vegas,  I know the original microban filter use to cause flo errors in the first week so they went to a different style and in some models a higher flow circ pump.

That is one reason why Sundance went to a highflow circ pump to increase water turnover and to also have enough ooomph to pull water through there microclean filter or else they would have flo issues very fast.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 01:54:57 pm »
Jacuzzi Jim knows his stuff. ;D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 02:20:59 pm »
My tub was ordered in April 2005 and delivered with the new high flow pump. My dealer was surprised to see the pump being put into the spa and was happy to see how big it was - no more small circ pump issues. It must have been implimented early 2005 as I wasn't the first spa she delivered with the bigger circ pump. Of course I didn't know about the microban filter and purchased 2 new regular filters, so I swap them when I change them out.

As far as disposable filters, it was mentioned here earlier this year and their web site is touting disposable filters. I have 2 sets and hopefully it'll be another 2 or 3 years  before I need filters. Also for me it depends on how costly and how long the disposable will last ... I ain't spending no $35 every 3 months ... I've said it before - I'm cheap when it comes to certain things!

I seem to remember having water issues when I stuck the N2 cartridge into my filter. Of course I was more of a newbie then and maybe it was my water care issues :-?

brentp

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 02:25:36 pm »

Now we all know, . . . thanks Jim!!!

brentp

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 03:00:12 pm »
. . . .  BTW the screen filter opening is the circ pump opening.

Funny thing, . . . and back to my gripe with the Artesian manual, . . . which instructs you to fill the SPA through the circ pump filter pipe (with the filter removed) to 'purge' air from the circ pump system.  After removing both filters, . . . it was not apparent which was the circ pump inlet and which was for the regular pumps.   I wasn't about to remove the front panel again (and disassembly the cover lifter with is mounted on the side), . . . so, I guessed, . . . and evidently guessed wrong.  Fortunately for us, all the pumps started working right away and we could see water flow (with air bubbles from ozone) coming out of the circ pump 'jet'.

One would think if it were this important to fill through the circ pump inlet, . . . they would tell you which one it is right there in the manual.   Oh well, . . .  :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 03:00:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42