What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Got my first electric bill since getting my tub  (Read 6300 times)

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Got my first electric bill since getting my tub
« on: December 15, 2006, 11:54:19 pm »
So compared to the same 30-day period last year my bill went up $55.  I was hoping for less than $50 so I'm not thrilled, but I suppose it could be worse.  This is with using the tub once a day for ~15 minutes, usually with one pump running the entire time but sometimes with both.  When I get out I hit the pump button again to circulate the dichlor so one pump runs for an additional 20 minutes.  I keep the temp set to 102.  Tub is a 2006 Sundance Optima.

Curious to see how next month turns out!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 11:57:05 pm by pg_rider »
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Hot Tub Forum

Got my first electric bill since getting my tub
« on: December 15, 2006, 11:54:19 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: Got my first electric bill since getting my tu
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 12:01:15 am »
That's about what my my HS Envoy is running pg_rider. Electricity is fairly expensive where I live--somewhere around $.20/KWh. Money well spent though. Much better than going out to dinner if you ask me. How much do you pay for electricity in CO?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 12:08:33 am by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 12:10:36 am »
Oh, good question.  Not sure I know actually; I don't see it on the bill.  It says I used 1185 KWH for the period, which equates to $111 (the rest of the bill is what they call "facilities charge").  Last year I used 605 KWH for a total of $56.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 12:11:16 am by pg_rider »
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 12:15:22 am »
Not bad pg. Your rates are around $.10/ KWh. Much better than what I pay.  :)

Oh, good question.  Not sure I know actually; I don't see it on the bill.  It says I used 1185 KWH for the period, which equates to $111 (the rest of the bill is what they call "facilities charge").  Last year I used 605 KWH for a total of $56.

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

clover

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 12:38:11 am »
Keep in mind that is heating water from 54° to 102° on the initial start up which you won't be repeated every month.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 12:48:19 am »
I was kind of scared to open this one up!  :o  We've had our Optima since September and I've avoided asking my husband how much it's increased.  He has not screamed so that is good.  I guess I need to dig out an old bill and compare.   $50 is $10-15 higher than I'd expected but as Gombo pointed out its really one dinner out.. which I would happily forego ....  I've been trying to offset the cost a little by being more diligent about turning off lights etc.  

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 08:57:10 am »
PG RIDER,
My bill increased about the same as yours around 50.00 per month in the winter. However it does go down in the summer. Patty does have a good point with the initial fill, the heater is on a lot longer to heat the water than just to maintain it once it gets there. Bottom line it is very cheap therapy and I would pay much more than 50.00 per month if I had to just to continue what I have now. Wish I had bought one 20 years ago.

RobRoy

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 01:05:36 pm »
I would speak to your HS dealer. My dealer has a money back gaurentee. If your bill goes higher than $30.00 they will refund the difference. Talk to them. It would be nice to get a check from HS every month.

Im sure even Term might kick in a few bucks. :D ::)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 01:24:39 pm »
RoyRob, no such guarantee in Southern California. Our electricity rates are too high.  

I would speak to your HS dealer. My dealer has a money back guarantee. If your bill goes higher than $30.00 they will refund the difference. Talk to them. It would be nice to get a check from HS every month.

I'm sure even Term might kick in a few bucks. :D ::)

slimchance

• Jacuzzi J-365 Oh Ya!!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 02:17:43 pm »
Got my first bill two weeks ago.  $60cdn, which I suppose isn't too bad considering we use it daily for average of 40 minutes and I had to dump and refill twice in a month.  :P

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 02:24:53 pm »
let me ask you all this.  Is it enough, that you would get rid of your tub over???  It is so funny that when we are first looking into tubs, we think about energy consumption and the fear of high bills.  Then we get our tub and suddenly you think, its no so bad if I had to pay a couple of bucks more a month.  

I told my wife that if she had a problem with the energy cost, then we would cut back on other things, like coffee every day, peticures and hair and so on.  Suddenly the hot tub costs were not so bad.

Bama

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 02:39:55 pm »
My LA Spa Paradise H-2 (650 gal) is kept at 98 degrees.  I get in about 2 to 3 times per day for 30-45 min each time.  At the end of the day I toss in my diclor and run all 3 pumps for 10-15 minutes with top off.
My bill has gone up approx. $30 to $35.

Han Solo

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 02:44:17 pm »
 I have my Sundance spa set on the economy setting that only runs the heater twice a day when it circulates the pump for half an hour. I usually use my tub after dinner, so I have it set to run at dinner time so that it will be nice and toasty when I get in. It must be working as I haven't really noticed any jump in my PG&E bill. If you have an economy setting you should try it, as there is really no reason to have your tub at 102 twenty-fours hours a day................

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 02:48:52 pm »
sounds like a really good feature to have on the tub.  It only makes sense

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 09:07:25 am »
My electricity bill is higher in the Summer than the Winter, Air conditioning eats up more power.  My house is heated with natural gas so that helps.
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 09:07:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42