What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Service Question  (Read 3345 times)

SpaNE

Service Question
« on: December 14, 2006, 04:21:41 pm »
I am considering a Jacuzzi or Sundance spa.  Do you need to get service from the dealer where you buy the spa - or can you get service from any authorized Jacuzzi or Sundance dealer?

For example, I bought my BMW from the dealer that had the model with the color and options I was looking for, however, I take it to the closest dealer for service.  The service dealer is happy to service my car and does quality work.  

Are spa dealers the same?

Hot Tub Forum

Service Question
« on: December 14, 2006, 04:21:41 pm »

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
Re: Service Question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 04:22:45 pm »
sometimes

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 04:27:35 pm »
I am considering a Jacuzzi or Sundance spa.  Do you need to get service from the dealer where you buy the spa - or can you get service from any authorized Jacuzzi or Sundance dealer?

For example, I bought my BMW from the dealer that had the model with the color and options I was looking for, however, I take it to the closest dealer for service.  The service dealer is happy to service my car and does quality work.  

Are spa dealers the same?

Sundance and Jacuzzi dealers are contractually obligated to do  warranty service on what they sell.  (Hot Spring and Caldera also).

A difference with cars is you can drive them to the servicing agent.

From what I understand, the auto manfacturers compensate their dealers so they can service your car under warranty profitably.

Spa manufacturers don't.  Then they tell us you made the profit in the sale, so factor it in that way.

A dealer can choose to service a spa they did not sell.  Most won't.

If you bought a spa from one dealer and moved with the spa into another dealer's service area, then the closer dealer would do the service.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

SpaNE

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 04:59:00 pm »

From what I understand, the auto manfacturers compensate their dealers so they can service your car under warranty profitably.

Spa manufacturers don't.  Then they tell us you made the profit in the sale, so factor it in that way.

Are you telling me that every warranty service call on my spa would cost the dealer money out of his own pocket? :o :o :o

Seems hard to believe...

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 05:01:43 pm »
Depends on the issue, geography and other issues. :o  Typically break evn at best.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 05:02:53 pm by hottubdan »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 05:14:41 pm »
I believe that warranty work is reimbursed at a set rate and time for repairs.  I don't think that dealers are getting rich doing warranty work.  Typically it barely covers their costs.  That is why they charge a travel charge, because they are not getting reimbursed for their travel.  So dealers are reluctant to service under warranty those spas that they haven't recieved some kind of profit margin.

That is why I always say the dealer is as important as the manufacturer.  It is the dealer who is going to be your connection to the manufacturer and it is he/she who will service your spa while it is under warranty.

SpaNE

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 05:39:29 pm »
That is why they charge a travel charge, because they are not getting reimbursed for their travel.  

I wasn't aware of that?  Do all/most dealers charge a travel charge?  I will definitely ask that question to all the local dealers before making a purchase.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 06:09:34 pm »

I wasn't aware of that?  Do all/most dealers charge a travel charge?  I will definitely ask that question to all the local dealers before making a purchase.

I don't think there is a norm regarding whether most spa delaers having a travel charge.

Are you dealing with New England Spas?  They are a top dealer for both Sundance and Hot Spring.

SpaNE

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 06:14:42 pm »

Are you dealing with New England Spas?  They are a top dealer for both Sundance and Hot Spring.

Yep.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 04:46:58 am »

Yep.

I get 70 bucks an hour for service work. For warranty work I get 45.
Retired

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 08:42:37 am »

Yep.
I bought from them.

They will tell you they May charge you a trip free.  I haven't needed any service, so I can't tell you how agressive they are about applying it.

I have found they are very good via e-mail and ordering on line.

Are you in MA? If so, where abouts?
07 Caldera Geneva

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 01:09:00 pm »

NE Spas just did a warranty service call for me.  Their normal charge is $25.00, but because I requested my service on line through their web site, I got a ten dollar credit, so net $15.00.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 01:09:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42