What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: floating chlorinator - why not?  (Read 15290 times)

knightcap

floating chlorinator - why not?
« on: November 07, 2006, 11:47:36 pm »
newbie here, first post.  I've read and learned a lot here, thanks!  But I have a question I have not seen addressed anywhere.  I have read a lot about the dichlor method of sanitizing (a little after each use) with a weekly shock, and about bromine floaters.  But why can you not use a chlorine floater?  For those using a tub only once or twice a week, but who prefer chlorine, it seems like a hassle to go out every night or two and treat the tub.  A floater with some chlorine tablets seems ideal (maybe remove it when in the tub.)  Is there an obvious reason why its okay to use bromine in a floater, but not chlorine?  Thanks!!

Hot Tub Forum

floating chlorinator - why not?
« on: November 07, 2006, 11:47:36 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: floating chlorinator - why not?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 12:18:07 am »
Compressed chlorine is meant for pools; larger bodies of water.  Far to acidic to be an easy solution in a spa.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 08:22:55 am »
Chlorine tablets are trichlor, and are not advised for many spas.  Some may even deny warranty coverage if trichlor is found to cause any problems.
Read your manual to see if they say anything.  Mine says specifically not to use trichlor.
 Bromine is specifically meant for spas, so it's okay to use it in a floater, or in the built in bromine dispenser that some spas have.
Brewman

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 08:25:04 am »
Hey brewman, how come the arctic line of chemicals uses trichlor chlorine????  I stay away from it.  where I live, no dealers carry dichlor, so it is bromine for now.

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 09:29:24 am »
Beachcomber warranty is not void if you use Trichlor, I have a floater and the only thing I notice is I have to add extra Alk increaser (Baking soda) each week.  You will notice your TDS going up quicker because of the extra Alk increaser but I still get 4 months before a water change.  Everyone on here will tell you it is the worst thing you can do, make up your own mind and read your warranty.

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 10:02:28 am »
For those using a tub only once or twice a week, but who prefer chlorine, it seems like a hassle to go out every night or two and treat the tub.
It would not be necessary to treat the tub every night or two at all.  If you know you are not going to soak for 3-5 days, just put in extra dichlor--maybe 3 tbsp. or so.  This would easily keep the tub in great shape for 3-5 days.  If you know you are going to use it no more than twice a week but you have no idea when the mood will strike, just put in a little more than you normally would and add some in a couple of days.  This really is simple and not difficult at all.  Also, you might want to add an ozonator and a mineral cartridge (N2) if you don't have these already.

As a confirmed dichlor user, I find that the perceived difficulty of a dichlor routine is blown WAY out of proportion.  Now, if I owned a tub that was in a rental unit, bromine would be my sanitizer of choice--and I wouldn't have to soak in it... 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 10:27:03 am »
Hey brewman, how come the arctic line of chemicals uses trichlor chlorine????  I stay away from it.  where I live, no dealers carry dichlor, so it is bromine for now.

I have no idea.  My Sundance manual warns not to use the stuff, so I don't either.
Warning is that trichlor can lead to extreme corrosion.  Maybe Arctic uses materials that are less prone to this corrosion?  
 I myself wonder why dichlor seems to be scare up in Canada.  

I totally agree with WSD.  I've used Bauqa, bromine, and dichlor.  Overall, dichlor is by far the easiest to work with.  And it seems to impact my water balance less than bromine.  I was always having to add Ph and alk increasers with bromine.  

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 10:35:06 am by Brewman »
Brewman

Rayman

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 03:01:36 pm »

I myself wonder why dichlor seems to be scare up in Canada.  

I use Dichlor as well with a floater, Dichlor is sold in every dealer near me in the Toronto area.

Ray

tileman

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 03:57:57 pm »
 If putting in a tsp of Dichlor per person after each soak takes too long than you must be one extremely busy individual and shouldn't even have time to use a hot tub. It doesn't get any easier than that. Plus, you don't get green water and the smell among other things when using bromine. How could anyone stand soaking in a chemical bath? :-?

lagator43

• My wings are a shield of steel.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 04:48:23 pm »
If putting in a tsp of Dichlor per person after each soak takes too long than you must be one extremely busy individual and shouldn't even have time to use a hot tub. It doesn't get any easier than that. Plus, you don't get green water and the smell among other things when using bromine. How could anyone stand soaking in a chemical bath? :-?

Do you have a problem with green water???????
You dichlor people are so arrogant.

Rayman

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 07:29:06 pm »

The question was can you use a floater with Trichlor, taking shots at how busy/lazy a person may or maynot be was not the question.

Ray

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 08:15:05 pm »

I like the ability to leave the tub (longest is two weeks) and come home to perfect water. I keep my chemical bath at 102 and stand it very well.

tileman

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 08:26:48 pm »
It's not arrogance when you can back it up. :)

lagator43

• My wings are a shield of steel.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 08:31:29 pm »

Back what up?
Chlorine is actually harder on your skin than bromine.   ;D

tileman

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 08:55:31 pm »

Back what up?
Chlorine is actually harder on your skin than bromine.   ;D

Hey, If you like bromine, fine. I like dichlor, so what.  It doesn't really matter. Whatever works for US.
He commented on the hassle of having to add dichlor every couple of days. So I posted that it is not a hassle in a way that was offensive to some bromine users. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings, I will keep my OPINIONS to myself from now on about this issue.
 As far as me saying it's not arrogance if you can back it up. My whole life I have been titled as cocky, arrogant, or whatever else you want to call it. I call it self confidence and it has gotten this 24 yr old pretty far in life. I'm part owner of a million dollar business that has been growing ever since I started w/ them. So what I'm trying to say is that my "arrogance" comes from me working my a$$ off my whole life to get what I wanted. I came from a very poor family growing up. I will do whatever it takes, so I will never have to live like that again.  Even if it means coming off as arrogant.

CHAD

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 08:55:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42