What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Rust like spots in Hot Tub  (Read 14596 times)

gkckm

Rust like spots in Hot Tub
« on: November 12, 2006, 06:10:21 pm »
Hi

I am using MPS, Chlorine, PH reducer/increaser. I was gone a few days and when I returned I have spots on the bottum of my tun that look like rust. There is no metal in the tub. Does anyone know what would cause this?

Thanks
Greg

Hot Tub Forum

Rust like spots in Hot Tub
« on: November 12, 2006, 06:10:21 pm »

tileman

Re: Rust like spots in Hot Tub
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 06:13:41 pm »
What are your chemical levels and how long were you gone for w/o adding any dichlor?

gkckm

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 06:47:16 pm »
I do not know the levels since I use strips. If I add daily it still seams that the chemicals are off the next day. I play hell trying to get the thing balances. I was gone 4 days.

Thanks

tileman

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 07:13:32 pm »
I do not know the levels since I use strips. If I add daily it still seams that the chemicals are off the next day. I play hell trying to get the thing balances. I was gone 4 days.

Thanks

First off throw those strips away and get a water test kit. You'll never be able to get steady readings with those strips as you can see.

It could be any number of things. I'm sure you're aware that it's very bad, to say the least, to not maintain properly balanced water.
Have you tried scrubbing in off by hand?
Is it oily?

Until you get a test kit and balance your water, I would just dump and refill. Starting fresh is the cheapest, fastest way to get back on track. Or just give it a super shock of dichlor and see what happens. It's amazing what a couple of tblsp will do. :o

Did you add a significant amount of dichlor before you left? If not, you should have.

I don't know if your away alot but if you are the Bromine Patrol can chime in and give you some of it's benefits that will help you.

gkckm

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 07:32:31 pm »
Thanks for the help

Was going to drain and clean next weekend anyway. Maybe I will switch to Bromine.

MarKee

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 07:33:15 pm »
The rust color is caused by your ozonator.  Sometimes little metal particles can cause that or sometimes you might see that by your ozonator exhaust port.  Usually it will wipe off or if it doesnt, use some goof off the next time you drain and refill.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 09:39:57 pm »
I was told to expect brown spots by the inlet by my dealer.  That was based on my water chemistry.  I never have seen them however.

mcmishka

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 10:27:46 pm »
We drained our tub today and there was rust spots on one of the seats and three on the bottom of the tub.  I used a very small amount of baking soda and a paper towel and the spots came off.  I rinsed well after with a wet rag.  Hope this helps.  I do not know what caused mine.  I will probably call the dealer Monday.            mcmishka

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 09:16:17 am »
I hate to bring this up again, but I will as no one has been able to answer it yet:

I do NOT get brown/rust spots or deposits anywhere on the tub--just a wipe-off-able brown/rust  spot up above, on the spa blanket--right above the ozonator port.

Anyone, anyone, Bueller, anyone?  ;)

2005 HS Vanguard

In Canada eh

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 09:31:49 am »

Kervis,

What a classic movie that was.

I would imagine that your spot is pretty much the same thing, nitric acid and should wipe off with a sponge.  Your post may start the whole ozone thing again explaining the benefits of a proper sized contact chamber ;)
Bullfrog 451

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 01:07:43 pm »

Kervis,

What a classic movie that was.

I would imagine that your spot is pretty much the same thing, nitric acid and should wipe off with a sponge.  Your post may start the whole ozone thing again explaining the benefits of a proper sized contact chamber ;)

THANK YOU!!   :) :)  I am unfamiliar with and would probably not understand the ozone/contact chamber arguement.  I suppose I could check it out in the archives in my spare time... :P

Your answer will suffice!
2005 HS Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 01:07:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42