What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Aftermarket Filters??  (Read 2877 times)

slimchance

• Jacuzzi J-365 Oh Ya!!
Aftermarket Filters??
« on: November 05, 2006, 08:21:12 pm »
I was looking on Ebay for backup filters for my tub while my OEM's are soaking.  Aftermarket filters such as Unicel etc are plentiful and fairly cheap.   Any thoughts or experiences with these products?  Recommendations?

Hot Tub Forum

Aftermarket Filters??
« on: November 05, 2006, 08:21:12 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Aftermarket Filters??
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 08:50:01 pm »
I've been looking at them myself and I guess if it's a "name brand" filter you should be OK. My problem is that my tub seems to have 2 or 3 filters available for it.

I believe Pleatco and Unicell are good brands and at least for my tub they run about $10 cheaper on the internet than at my dealer using OEM. My thinking is I'll use the OEM version as the $20 that I could save I'll just support my dealer for this product. The filters can last a while.

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 09:02:45 pm »
I just purchased some replacement filters last week.  Since I need 4 for my tub, I price checked around and found them $60 cheaper (for quantity 4) online.  I still purchase chems from my local dealer, but that's just too large a difference to overlook on the filters, I snagged them online.

In Canada eh

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 09:20:19 pm »
Gang

I'm not sure if this is the same for all tub manufacturers, but our tubs (Bullfrog) filtre is made by unicell with a Bullfrog logo on it.  The second filter I purchased is identical( Unicell )
Bullfrog 451

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 09:40:48 pm »
Gang

I'm not sure if this is the same for all tub manufacturers, but our tubs (Bullfrog) filtre is made by unicell with a Bullfrog logo on it.  The second filter I purchased is identical( Unicell )

I would think that this is the case 99% of the time. Just like the Waterway jets in your tub are probably similar to my Waterway jets if they are the same size.

It seems fairly easy to figure out in my case which filters to buy and I guess if there is a substancial saving to be had, why not! I definately wouldn't buy "just any filter" from the internet since I believe in the adage "let the buyer beware". Although I have bought from e-bay, I still am very wary about it.

anne

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 02:34:17 am »
I have two Unicel filters that I alternate, and have no problems with them. My dealer sold me one before he stopped carrying my spa brand, and the second one I bought online.
Dance like nobody's watching

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 09:22:10 am »
In_Canada_eh, are those unicell replacements the same density as the oem Bullfrog filters?
Bullfrog 562

Vanguard

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 11:02:44 am »
Both Unicel and Pleatco are perfectly fine filters.  Yes, most tub makers use one of these two brands for their spas.  Unicel is the larger of the two, but I have never seen an issue with Pleatco.  I used to replace swimming pool filters with Unicel all the time.  Of course, those filters come with Unicel right off the bat.

Don't know about the special Sundance filter though.  Any Sundance dealers could probably chime in on that one.  In addition, the Hot Spring Tri-X is proprietary.  You can only get that from a Hot Spring dealer.

Other than that, Unicel makes a replacement for nearly every filter out there.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 11:02:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42