What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Best defense for scum line--scumball or enzyme?  (Read 1665 times)

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Best defense for scum line--scumball or enzyme?
« on: October 27, 2006, 08:07:06 pm »
Got the dreaded ring around the tub after only four or five soaks (and even an inadvertent shock) -- a nice light tan stain right at the waterline.  Rubbed off easily with a soft cloth, but I'd rather prevent it in the first place.  What's the easiest, most effective way -- scumballs or an enzyme cleaner additive?
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Hot Tub Forum

Best defense for scum line--scumball or enzyme?
« on: October 27, 2006, 08:07:06 pm »

kervis

• runnergirl
Re: Best defense for scum line--scumball or enzyme
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 09:14:58 pm »
I have to chuckle after I read some of your posts because I have gone through so many of the same things at exactly the same time frame of tub ownership as you.  ;D

I use a zorbo and I went through almost a whole bottle of enzyme in the last 4 months.  Most of it being used up in the first 2 months.

After the first 2 months, things settled down quite a bit, and I believe it is from our skin getting cleaner from the hot soaks.  Your extra oils come off, your dead skin cells float off, you are sweating while you sit in  the tub which further cleans your pores out.... :P

I'd like to think that my whole family is a heck of a lot cleaner than we used to be.  

Every so often, I can now feel a dried line--it has no color.  If I ever do get back to the days of the dreaded colored tub ring, it is due to the kid's friends (the unclean) that have joined us.

I have about one more use of the enzyme left and then I will change things up a bit for the winter water.  I'm going to try N2, my usual dichlor, and shock with MPS.  I am also going to try the 4-in-1 SeaKlear once a week to help prevent the dreaded rings!

I think things will settle down for you after 2 months of both scumball and a bottle of enzyme!
2005 HS Vanguard

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 07:59:42 am »
I have used enzymes, they work but they can also foam.

The ring will come and go. I've filled up the tub and even with new water without soaking I have gotten it.

What I find is that whenever I get foam I get the ring.

Also, that's why we have Chas' Law.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 07:59:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42