What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Final choices: Grandee vs. Piper Glen  (Read 3328 times)

SpaMorph

Final choices: Grandee vs. Piper Glen
« on: October 22, 2006, 09:58:07 pm »
Who has wet tested both the Grandee and Piper Glen, then went on to purchase one of these two spas?  What did you like about one and not like about the other?

These are my final two choices after wet testing many spas.  Actually, the PG made it to the final round without a wet test.  I would have to drive 3 hours to a dealer with one on the floor.  I feel pretty comfortable with the PG though because after testing so many spas, I really know what I want out of a spa.  

Hot Tub Forum

Final choices: Grandee vs. Piper Glen
« on: October 22, 2006, 09:58:07 pm »

mark_in_calif

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Final choices: Grandee vs. Piper Glen
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 11:53:17 pm »
So my wife and I tested virtually every major model out there last year including the grandee and dove canyon (lounger version of piper glen).  After all the wet testing it finally came down to grandee, jacuzzi(i think it was the 385) and the artesian. We finally decided on the dove canyon specifically because we felt it fit us better during the wet tests vs both other finalist. And even though they all appeared to be around the same size, the dove just felt bigger once we were in the water (piper is a bit bigger than the dove). My wife was also very keen on the individual seat controls-- I guess she could see us arguing over diverter valves.
Anyway, as everyone has said before, wet test, wet test, wet test and see which feels the best for you.  Of course there's also how well you like/trust the dealer. Thats my 2 cents.

tileman

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:17:44 am »
I have wet tested the PG but not the Grande. I was really impressed with it, but it was just to much spa for me. I would not recommend purchasing any spa w/o a wet test. Even if you know what you want something might not feel right when filled with water. Also, I'm confused is their an Artesian dealer near you without a PG?

Tileman
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 12:20:09 am by tileman »

SpaMorph

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 02:11:13 am »
Also, I'm confused is their an Artesian dealer near you without a PG?  
Yes, there is a local Artesian dealer, but they do not stock the Platinum line.  If I want to wet test the PG, I'll have to drive to the next closest dealer, which is about 3 hours away.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 02:11:34 am by SpaMorph »

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 08:27:36 am »
I would have a hard time plunking down upwards of $10K (I know the Artesians are pricey) without testing it first.  Why not test one of their other lines locally?  At least you can get a feel for the brand.  Ask the local dealer if they have any REALLY good clients who bought the PG.  Perhaps they can ask their client to let you have a quick soak.  I know if my dealer asked me to let someone have a quick dip I would probably do it.  They could even throw in some chems..that would be nice!  ;)

How did you like the HS?  If you were able to wet test that tub and liked it, the price and dealer were right, then I say go for HS.

Marc
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 08:29:49 am by gores95 »

bohms

• 2006 Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 10:10:17 am »
We didn't wet test the Grandee....just the PG.  The reason why we didn't wet test the Grandee is b/c we knew that we really wanted 4 corner seats and we wanted a little foot jet action.  That's why we really like the PG and the added bonus was that we would have our individual seat controls with the PG.  Sorry I couldn't give you input on a Grandee wet test.  

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 11:35:16 am »
I don't qualify as one who bought either unit, but my wife and I did wet test both. So if you want my opinion, read on. We preferred the PG due to the number of jets and lower price point; ie we just thought we were getting more for our money with the Artesian (about $2k less than the Grandee). We especially liked the individual controls and the seating arrangement. The "butt" seat is a little strange but can be used to massage the thighs and calves if you sit sideways in one of the adjoining corner seats. Not real comfortable but it works.

I would definitely wet test the PG before buying as was suggested. You don't want to make a purchase of this size without getting into it. The Platinum series seats are a bit more reclined than the Island series which has very upright positions which we didn't find comfortable. The Grandee has a nice variety of seats including the 2 MotoMassage, but we have read and heard this feature has some inherent problems with possible leaking. The Grandee also does not have the center volcano nor individual footjets like the GP (although the footjets are a bit weak IMO).

Also ask the Artesian dealer if the jets are interchangeable, We were told they are not, so if the mfg comes out with new ones in the future, you can not add them if you wish. Also, we heard that the pillow hardward degrades quickly and is difficult to repair. You may want to ask about them as well.
Otherwise, they are both very nice units and expect to pay $10k and up for either. I think you would be happy with either one.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 11:38:10 am »
I'd like to offer my input on the Grandee, if that's OK?

It is?  Good...thank you for the opportunity to respond. :)

I just got out of a brand new 2006 HotSpring Grandee about 5 minutes ago.  'Tis a fine autumn morning in far East Texas with nary a cloud in the sky.  The temperature's hovering around 45 at the present and there's no breeze to be felt.  As fine a day as you could ever hope for around these parts!

The water was set at a hot and steamy 104, which is just about right on a day as fine as the one today.  I had a steaming cup of coffee in one hand, a Montecristo cigar steadily burning in the other, and a big ol' fluffy towel draped over my arm as I eased out to the deck to settle in and soak my achy particles.

"Man o' man...don't this feel wonderful!" I almost says out loud to Brer Mockinbird, perched up in a faux palm tree eyeballin' my glistening head like it were some big ol' target just waiting to be deposited upon.  "It's too bad you is just a little ol' sqwaukin
 bird with deviltry in you're eye, or I'd ask you to join me for a soak" I did says to him, but he didn't pay me no mind, nor should he.

I fired up those 2 powerful jet pumps and settled on back in a corner seat to enjoy the effects of one of the Double MotoMassages.  Dang that sure does feel right nice!  Up and down it goes, loosening up all the tension I've built up over the last few days getting ready for the new baby.   Oooooooweeee...those neck jets is doin' the trick, I'd surely say.  My danged ol' knee is swollen from falling down during that softball game a few weeks ago...I oughta just prop it up against that Jetstream Jet right there.  OUCH!  That is too powerful, I'd better throttle it back some.  I'll just turn that little lever down a bit....yessir, that is juuuuusst right!

I move around here and there, lettting the spa work the different parts of me that are hurtin'.  It does everything I need it to do, quietly, powerfully, gently if need be.  What could be a better way to spend a day off from work than this?  Shoot, it's getting pretty warm in here, better move on up to the cool down seat.  Look at that big ol' hawk sitting on the power line across the street!  Brer Mockinbird is givin' him fits, but he don't mind much.  He knows he just a little ol' bird can't do nothin' but fuss and carry on.  He got other things on his mind.  He just sits there watchin', biding his time, 'til he see a juicy varmint stray out of the bushes and he swoop down on him with lightnin' speed.  Brer Mockinbird decide he better go afore he end up bein' dessert!

Ooooooooo....those big footjets down in the bottom sure feel good on my heels.  I never thought much about sitting up here and getting my feet massaged so fantabulously whilst just drinkin' coffee and watchin' the critters.  This is so nice!  Come to think about it, my whole aches and pains are pretty much GONE...and so's my cigar and my coffee.  Thirty minutes of sitting here in this wonderful machine, and I feel like I'm just rarin' to go the rest of the day.  Got a lot to do, we're havin' a baby boy tomorrow, and I can't wait 'til he's old enough to sit out here in the spa with his daddy and watch the world go about it's business.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 12:28:21 pm »
I'd like to offer my input on the Grandee, if that's OK?

It is?  Good...thank you for the opportunity to respond. :)

I just got out of a brand new 2006 HotSpring Grandee about 5 minutes ago.  'Tis a fine autumn morning in far East Texas with nary a cloud in the sky.  The temperature's hovering around 45 at the present and there's no breeze to be felt.  As fine a day as you could ever hope for around these parts!

The water was set at a hot and steamy 104, which is just about right on a day as fine as the one today.  I had a steaming cup of coffee in one hand, a Montecristo cigar steadily burning in the other, and a big ol' fluffy towel draped over my arm as I eased out to the deck to settle in and soak my achy particles.

"Man o' man...don't this feel wonderful!" I almost says out loud to Brer Mockinbird, perched up in a faux palm tree eyeballin' my glistening head like it were some big ol' target just waiting to be deposited upon.  "It's too bad you is just a little ol' sqwaukin
 bird with deviltry in you're eye, or I'd ask you to join me for a soak" I did says to him, but he didn't pay me no mind, nor should he.

I fired up those 2 powerful jet pumps and settled on back in a corner seat to enjoy the effects of one of the Double MotoMassages.  Dang that sure does feel right nice!  Up and down it goes, loosening up all the tension I've built up over the last few days getting ready for the new baby.   Oooooooweeee...those neck jets is doin' the trick, I'd surely say.  My danged ol' knee is swollen from falling down during that softball game a few weeks ago...I oughta just prop it up against that Jetstream Jet right there.  OUCH!  That is too powerful, I'd better throttle it back some.  I'll just turn that little lever down a bit....yessir, that is juuuuusst right!

I move around here and there, lettting the spa work the different parts of me that are hurtin'.  It does everything I need it to do, quietly, powerfully, gently if need be.  What could be a better way to spend a day off from work than this?  Shoot, it's getting pretty warm in here, better move on up to the cool down seat.  Look at that big ol' hawk sitting on the power line across the street!  Brer Mockinbird is givin' him fits, but he don't mind much.  He knows he just a little ol' bird can't do nothin' but fuss and carry on.  He got other things on his mind.  He just sits there watchin', biding his time, 'til he see a juicy varmint stray out of the bushes and he swoop down on him with lightnin' speed.  Brer Mockinbird decide he better go afore he end up bein' dessert!

Ooooooooo....those big footjets down in the bottom sure feel good on my heels.  I never thought much about sitting up here and getting my feet massaged so fantabulously whilst just drinkin' coffee and watchin' the critters.  This is so nice!  Come to think about it, my whole aches and pains are pretty much GONE...and so's my cigar and my coffee.  Thirty minutes of sitting here in this wonderful machine, and I feel like I'm just rarin' to go the rest of the day.  Got a lot to do, we're havin' a baby boy tomorrow, and I can't wait 'til he's old enough to sit out here in the spa with his daddy and watch the world go about it's business.

Terminator

Term,

You are the BEST!  If you were my local dealer here in NW NJ rest assured a HS Vanguard would be sitting in my backyard instead of the Caldera.

BOL with the delivery tomorrow.  As a father of two young daughters (9 & 4) you will never forget when that little life pops out.  Since you are having a boy, make sure you are cutting the correct "cord"!!!!! ;)

Marc

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 07:27:49 pm »
Also ask the Artesian dealer if the jets are interchangeable, We were told they are not, so if the mfg comes out with new ones in the future, you can not add them if you wish. Also, we heard that the pillow hardward degrades quickly and is difficult to repair. You may want to ask about them as well.
Otherwise, they are both very nice units and expect to pay $10k and up for either. I think you would be happy with either one.

Wes, these 2 points are partially true.

All spas are made with certain jets, some are made by the spa company and some are made by a vendor (Waterway in Artesian's case).

From what I've been told by Waterway that a certain jet body type and size will fit into any of the same jet openings. That doesn't mean that the same size jet from Pentair will fit a Waterway, just that a Waterway, 4" poly storm jet can accept jets of that size and type.

Here's a link to a Waterway jet page: http://db.waterwayplastics.com/CatalogSpa2006/page21.pdf

As you can see there is a number of different jets that fit

If a spa has a proprietary jet, the possibility of having the the spa manufacture make a different jet may be there but may not. Also, I would think that since a spa manufacturer is not in the business of selling jets to another manufacturer the available types and sizes of jets would be limited.

As for the the head rests, I have mine now for a little over 1 year and they look as good as new. I don't have a Platinum series but I would think the construction and materials are very similar. I do pop them out and in to clean behind them but there doesn't seem to be too much wear on them, the only part that shows "wear" is the seam that sits in the water ... but it is a short time and they are not falling apart yet. I think that all spas with headrests can have problems if water chemisty is bad and off gassing from chems and ozone happens. This will affect the cover too.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 08:33:21 pm »
Curious how much do replacement headrests go for anyway

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 08:39:09 pm »
Curious how much do replacement headrests go for anyway

Go to Artesian's website and register ... a whole new world will open up! ;) They do sell stuff on-line to us priviledged Artesian owners ... of course you might get it cheaper at the dealer. ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 08:39:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42