What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: help with creeping PH level  (Read 3345 times)

Tommithy

help with creeping PH level
« on: October 06, 2006, 02:07:17 pm »
I have an odd problem I just cannot figure out.  Did a fresh fill on Sunday (1 month dump and fill as it's a new spa), added calcium to get my hardness up to 250 and threw in 2 oz of shock (I added the chems after the spa was hot.)

I checked the levels on Monday and bromine is 2.0, PH at 7.6, ALK at about 95, hardness at 250.  All looks good.  Come Tuesday I checked the bromine and ph.  Bromine is 2.0 and PH is now 7.8.  Nobody has been in the spa since it was filled.  So I'm wondering why my PH went up when nobody's been in the spa.  I thought Bromine would actually lower my PH anyway.  Odd, but I don't let it bother me too much.

We go for a soak on Tuesday night, spa is wonderful with fresh water.  

It's now Thursday and I decide to check the levels.  Bromine is fine, but PH has gone up to 8.0 now.

Why does my PH keep creeping up?  We do wear suits in the tub however they do not get washed with detergent.  Come to think of it, they have not been washed in probably the last month so about 15 soaks or so.  
2006 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

help with creeping PH level
« on: October 06, 2006, 02:07:17 pm »

Venissa

• Proud owner of a Coleman model 461
Re: help with creeping PH level
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 02:57:29 pm »
I tend to have the same problem with my PH level.

Awaiting an answer by an expert......

By the way - I think its time to wash those suits!
Don't throw away the old bucket until you know whether the new one holds water.

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 02:59:06 pm »
Just rinse them with fresh water from time to time, no detergent.
Bullfrog 562

Tommithy

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 03:13:51 pm »
I agree, it's time to rinse out the suits.  But the main reason I even mentioned that is so that we can put the whole laundry detergent issue aside as it is not a factor in my mysteriously creeping PH level.

Hopefully someone here has an answer.

And in anticipation for the next question..  It's a Marquis Epic and yes we use the spa frog system that is built into it.  The mineral cart is at full open (6) as per the Marquis manual and my bromine cart is at 2.

Thanks!
2006 Marquis Epic

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 04:03:53 pm »
I have the same creeping ph problem. I am hoping someone like Vinny can answeer this one.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 04:09:42 pm »
I have the same problem, also would have thought the opposite would happen.

Venissa

• Proud owner of a Coleman model 461
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 04:10:21 pm »
Vinny...........where are you?

Waiting patiently................

For me PH is the hardest thing to contol.
Don't throw away the old bucket until you know whether the new one holds water.

hymbaw

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 04:31:01 pm »
pH levels slowly rising is completely normal in a spa.

The combined efforts of heat and aeration causes carbon dioxide to off-gas from the water. CO2 plays an important role in water balance. Its presence in the water allows for the formation of carbonic acid, which serves to hold the pH down. When CO2 is lost, the pH of the water has the tendency to rise.

Now you know why. I wouldn't spend too much time fretting about it.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

In Canada eh

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 06:31:35 pm »
The combined efforts of heat and aeration causes carbon dioxide to off-gas from the water. CO2 plays an important role in water balance. Its presence in the water allows for the formation of carbonic acid, which serves to hold the pH down. When CO2 is lost, the pH of the water has the tendency to rise.

Hymbaw,

Thank you

I am also battling PH rise and until now have never seen it explained
Bullfrog 451

Tommithy

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 07:24:00 pm »
Hymbaw

Awesome info!  Now I know why it rises.  Since I will constantly have to adjust my PH down, how do I keep it down without lowering my Alkalinity too much?  When I use alk up it also raises my PH which of course is what I'm trying to lower!
2006 Marquis Epic

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 08:56:47 pm »
I'm always fighting a high PH also. My water out of the faucet has a PH of 8.0. Every weekend I have to throw in some PH down. It takes a month or so for it to settle down.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

gturn

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 12:35:35 am »
I'm always fighting a high PH also. My water out of the faucet has a PH of 8.0. Every weekend I have to throw in some PH down. It takes a month or so for it to settle down.

My new fill water is ph low and I had to add ph up, but after it was up to normal it hasn't changed for 2 months and I use Bromine.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 12:36:09 am by gturn »

Tommithy

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 04:57:22 pm »
The water out of my tap is almost perfect except being a little soft so it's really frustrating to have to constantly lower the PH in the tub because after lowering PH I have to deal with low alkalinity. Raise that and the PH get's to high.

*sigh*  The water battle never ends.
2006 Marquis Epic

gturn

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 05:02:27 pm »
The water out of my tap is almost perfect except being a little soft so it's really frustrating to have to constantly lower the PH in the tub because after lowering PH I have to deal with low alkalinity. Raise that and the PH get's to high.

*sigh*  The water battle never ends.
Maybe your calcium is low, my dealer told me that if your calcium is not right it causes problems. Just a thought since you said your water was a little soft.  Maybe you need to get the calcium up to stabalize the water.

Tommithy

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 05:51:04 pm »
Calcium is low out of the tap however as I mentioned above in my first post, I add hardness increaser to get my hardness to about 250.  Everything seems to be in line.  I guess I'll just end up constantly adjusting things for the life of owning my spa.
2006 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 05:51:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42