What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Draining Jetsetter  (Read 8373 times)

MostlyLurkingGal

Draining Jetsetter
« on: October 07, 2006, 01:02:53 pm »
Ok, I know if I have to ask this question, I probably shouldn't even own a hot tub, but......
I bought my 2005 Jetsetter used, so I am learning things on my own, and I want to drain it today and start fresh. I went to where you hook up the hose to drain it (hot tub is inside, so can't just "let it go") and as I'm unscrewing the cap, water is coming out and getting stronger as I go. So I retighten and I try to turn what I assume is the open/close valve to the right...but I can't budge it, and I don't know if it is open or closed. The position of it is....  /  <---that angle. Seems you have to be pretty stronge to move it, or there is a secret I dont know about?
Any help?
Thanks,  Jo

Hot Tub Forum

Draining Jetsetter
« on: October 07, 2006, 01:02:53 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Draining Jetsetter
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 01:22:38 pm »
When the lever is in the vertical position, it is turned off.  When it is horizontal, the water will flow.

When you refill the spa, be sure to unscrew the gray filter cap and shove the hose all the way down the standpipe.  This will prevent getting an airlock in the plumbing.

I hope this answered your question. :)

Termy
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 01:29:04 pm »
Thanks Termy...I was hoping you would reply. Actually, you have me more confused than before. When I first filled it a few weeks ago, I just filled the tub and turned it on...no hose down filter. Oops?  I used the filter cartridge on the end of the hose...does that go down the drain filter too? Man, I'm sorry, but now I am lost.  Sigh.........
 So, does water always come out the drain at first...before you can screw on the hose? I'm afraid to take that cap off now!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 01:32:31 pm by MostlyLurkingGal »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 01:35:42 pm »
If the little toggle lever is straight up and down, the water flow should be cut off.  The lever is tapered similiar to a teardrop.  The small end of the teardrop should be pointing up towards the ceiling.  If it is, then there should be no water flow and you can unscrew the cap with no leakage.

Regarding the hose placement on refill, it's just a good idea to do it the way I described to eliminate any potential for an airlock.

Give me a couple of minutes and I'll draw some diagrams and post them for you.

Back in a minute!

Termy

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 01:41:49 pm »
OMGosh ty Termy.....it IS in the locked position...but water is coming out when I unscrew, so I'm not sure what to do next.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 01:53:38 pm »

I went and looked at one of the spas and the small end of the lever was down.  Try that.

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 02:07:17 pm »
OK OK...so I AM blonde.... ;D  :P
Thanks for the detailed graphics! My lever does not look like that....is not teardrop shape....just a straight piece of plastic that I assume you grab hold of and turn until horizontal. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong lever....but it's just right of the drain outlet. The thing is...it is vertical now and water is coming out when I start to unscrew the cap.
I guess I will just wait to drain until I buy a pump....
I can see now, that when it involves cars or hot tubs....it would be nice to have a man around to help.
Totally frustrated, but thanks for trying to help!
Jo

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 02:16:07 pm »
If it's vertical, just a little water should come out.  If it's horizontal, it should really gush.

I realize it is hard to get down there and see.  It is a little booger.

Sorry I couldn't help more.  If you were here in Longview, I'd come help you. :-[

Termy

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 02:23:57 pm »
Thanks Termy.....I know you would come help if you could...
I am just in this alittle over my head.....but I will figure it out over time.
Thanks again!! :)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 02:32:17 pm »
Why don't you open the cap and turn the valve until the water stops coming out? You should only have to move the lever 90 degrees. For mine, when the lever is in-line with the pipe it is open. When the lever is perpendicular to the pipe it is closed. Maybe yours is slightly different.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 02:32:36 pm by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 04:36:39 pm »
"Why don't you open the cap and turn the valve until the water stops coming out? "

I couldn't get the lever to budge....Anyway, got a pump...drained the tub, cleaned it and the filters, and am now refilling it. Seems to have the same slight green tint to the water as when I dumped it....sigh
Does some water just look that way? The tub is a pearl/white color, so maybe that's just the way it's gonna be? Gosh I wish I knew what I was doing! LOL!!

Brookenstein

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 06:35:19 pm »
My lever is on top not on the side (is it different with an Envoy)?   :-?

Does your water look like this or more green?  I always think mine has a tint to it too, but it is 'normal' for us, so I just go with it.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 06:38:05 pm by Brookenstein »

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 07:07:03 pm »
Fresh fill...nothing added yet

Brookenstein

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 07:11:58 pm »
What kind of water do you have and how does it test out of the tap?  Mine is city and it tests perfect.  I think you have a tad bit more color to it than mine, but they seem the same tint, so I think it more than likely is just how water looks in that color of tub... maybe?  I dunno.   :)

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 09:27:57 am »
What kind of water do you have and how does it test out of the tap?
[/color]

Brookenstein, All I have are Bioguards 4-way test strips to test, and everything reads in the low range before I add anything.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 09:27:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42