What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Service Techs... Opinions on pump motors?  (Read 3419 times)

slimchance

• Jacuzzi J-365 Oh Ya!!
Service Techs... Opinions on pump motors?
« on: October 03, 2006, 09:29:04 am »
If there is one thing I noticed that remained consistent regardless of what tub manufacturer I researched is that they all out source their pump motors, (AO Smith, Emerson, etc...).  Since they play such an integral role in the overall enjoyment of your tub ie: hydrotherapy, noise, is there some advice on what to look for and what to stay away from?  Is one brand more troublesome then the other?  What do you look for to minimize the noise which was very important to me?

Hot Tub Forum

Service Techs... Opinions on pump motors?
« on: October 03, 2006, 09:29:04 am »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
Re: Service Techs... Opinions on pump motors?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 11:25:21 am »
They're all good. Water chemistry is the single biggest contributor to pump problems. Next would be an equipment compartment super-heated by jet pump. Equipment, electronics that stay cool, last longer.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 11:50:05 am »
G.E. is by far the worst on the market currently. Over the last three-five years they have had issue with motors stuck in high speed and overheating motors due to low grade copper.

They claim to have fixed the issues but for the length of time they had the issues and would not fix it, I will not use one on a spa today!

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 11:51:50 am »
You're not going to get a straight answer on this question here.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 12:10:17 pm »

and why do you think that?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 12:10:31 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

In Canada eh

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 12:25:39 pm »
Slimchance,

I am not a spa/pool tech, but I handle maintenance for a large municipal water plant and deal with fractional hp pumps and motors for chem feed systems.

In my experience Emerson/US electric make some of the best value motors on the market, there are more expensive units out there Baldor, Reliance etc. The offset cost of owning the more expensive ones does not justify the added cost.   Meaning that if a $200 motor lasts 10 yrs and a $500 motor lasts 12 yrs your better off cost wise to use the $200 motor.  The newer high efficiency motors operate alot warmer than older mid efficiency units so this becomes a hydro consumption vs. longevity issue.   In my application at work I would much rather have the lower efficiency motor with big bulky windings that lasts 20 yrs than some of the newer motors out there.

Once again it justs my opinion and some electrical engineering types may disagree
Bullfrog 451

Altazi

• 3 seats, 155hp jet pump - anything BUT relaxing!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 12:35:27 pm »
Slimchance,
The newer high efficiency motors operate alot warmer than older mid efficiency units so this becomes a hydro consumption vs. longevity issue.   In my application at work I would much rather have the lower efficiency motor with big bulky windings that lasts 20 yrs than some of the newer motors out there.
Hi In_Canada_Eh,

Why would a high-efficiency motor run warmer than a motor with lower efficiency?  If you had a 100% efficient motor (which doesn't exist, of course!) it wouldn't get warm at all, since all of the electrical power input would be converted to mechanical power output.  In a high-efficiency motor, less of the input energy ishould be available to be released as waste heat.

Is it because the newer, high-efficiency motors are much smaller, and therefore spread the heat out over a much smaller area - and thus feel hotter?

Regards,

Altazi

In Canada eh

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 12:47:15 pm »
Is it because the newer, high-efficiency motors are much smaller, and therefore spread the heat out over a much smaller area - and thus feel hotter?

Altazi,

This is probably the case,  older ( less efficient ?) motors run alot cooler then newer ( more efficient ?) motors do
Bullfrog 451

slimchance

• Jacuzzi J-365 Oh Ya!!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 05:44:17 pm »
Is there any significance to the term “switch less”?  I heard this thrown around a lot when doing my research.  Increase efficiency or just a sales pitch?

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 07:27:24 pm »
Because this site is mostly dealers, not technicians.

The dealers will back the tubs they sell, regardless if the motors are prone to problems.

gturn

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 07:37:49 pm »
If there is one thing I noticed that remained consistent regardless of what tub manufacturer I researched is that they all out source their pump motors, (AO Smith, Emerson, etc...).  Since they play such an integral role in the overall enjoyment of your tub ie: hydrotherapy, noise, is there some advice on what to look for and what to stay away from?  Is one brand more troublesome then the other?  What do you look for to minimize the noise which was very important to me?

I would be more concerned with noise and the power of the jets when doing the wet test, not the technical info about the motors.  You can't compare motors by Horse Power or frame size, the best test is the wet test.  Listen to how much noise they produce when running.  If you want to compare power compare gallons per minute, but I have heard from some that those numbers are not always accurate.  

slimchance

• Jacuzzi J-365 Oh Ya!!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 08:00:24 pm »
gturn,

Couldn't agree more...GPM, however, can someone tell me the difference between a switch type and switchless motors?

Brookenstein

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 09:55:08 pm »

The dealers will back the tubs they sell, regardless if the motors are prone to problems.

You know sledjunkie, you have almost nothing positive to say about the people at this site so I'm really not sure why you come here.  The rest of the consumers here really value and appreciate the dealers here that is why we are here.  What gives?  Your negativity is really bringing me down.   :'(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 10:02:06 pm by Brookenstein »

Altazi

• 3 seats, 155hp jet pump - anything BUT relaxing!
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 02:28:21 am »
Not just sales hype.  Typical spa pump motors have a starting winding that is energized in order to start the motor rotating.  The start winding remains energized until the motor reaches a preset minimum running speed.  Some of the motors use a mechanical centrifugal switch to disengage the start winding - you can hear the "click" sound shortly after the motor starts up.  Mechanical switches wear out over time.  Failure of the starting switch in an open position can prevent the motor from starting (but it will hum).  The starting switch can also get stuck in the closed "start" position, keeping the start winding energized even after the motor has come up to speed.  If this happens, the start winding will quickly overheat, which is BAD for the motor.  You may get a breaker trip if this happens, depending upon the total load.  The switchless motors do not use a mechanical means to disengage the start winding, and should prove to be more reliable over many start-up cycles.  Plus, you don't get that annoying "click" sound when the motor starts. . . ;)

Regards,

Altazi
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:32:01 am by Altazi »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 05:57:43 am »

Wow man your depressing me to sled boy!! Why all the negitivity man your bringing Brook and me down.

I see mostly consumers posting on this thread. And i am not a dealer.

I agree with Gary, seems alot of them GE's have failed compared to AO and Emerson. But they all only last for so long. A little longer than warranty usualy!!
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 05:57:43 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42