What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Think I found a great "deal" - did I?  (Read 3570 times)

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
Think I found a great "deal" - did I?
« on: September 24, 2006, 03:43:01 pm »
I'm so close!!
After lots of research, many visits to dealers and hours online at this forum reading your helpful tips, I managed to narrow down my selection to 3 tubs that suit me best.  In the running are the Beachcomber 578, Caldera Hawaiian, and the Sundance Bahia.
I literally stumbled across what seems to be a great price on a new Bahia.  For those of you in the know, is this a stellar value or am I jumping the gun? From what I've seen in the local market, the tub, without Ozonator, lifter, or chems retails for $7.7-7.8K Canadian, before 14% tax.

The tub I'm considering is equipped with CD Ozonator & comes with the following:
4'-3' cover
hydraulic cover lifter
GFCI panel
extra filter
complete start-up chem kit
Full delivery & set-up + tutorial (good dealer)
Full Sundance warranty

ALL Taxes included, $8000 CAN (that's a pre-tax price of $7018).
At current exchange rates, I think this translates into about $5965 US$
Am I dreaming or is this a dynamite buy?  :o
...because integrity's the key

Hot Tub Forum

Think I found a great "deal" - did I?
« on: September 24, 2006, 03:43:01 pm »

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
Re: Think I found a great "deal" - did I?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 03:54:43 pm »
Great price.  Floor model?

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 04:42:03 pm »
Nope.  New.  It's a fluke.  
The dealer has it on order and is moving to a bigger showroom. (The rest of his inventory has sold already.) He would rather have it delivered to me instead of taking into inventory.
Bizzarre coincidence.  I hadn't planned on getting the tub for another few weeks but at this price I don't want to wait and lose it.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 05:21:07 pm »
Sounds like a great value at the very least. Your definitely not being taken.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 05:53:00 pm »
The tax should only be GST of 6%, the PST is exempt on any tub delivered by the dealer to a permanent deck or concrete pad.

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

SpaGirlAZ

• 2004 Sundance Marin
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 05:53:59 pm »
You're right, you did find a great deal.  :)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 06:13:47 pm »
If you like the tub, grab it!

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 09:48:41 pm »
Actually the dealer has to pay PST on the whole sale price then he marks it up so the end price is about the same.
You should tell him that you are only supposed to pay PST if it delivered to its final resting place and see what he says.
Steve

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 10:28:57 pm »
You guys are the best! I had no idea.

After Rayman's heads-up about PST, I went searching and found the "rules" in a June 2005 Ministry of Finance notice.  I printed it off and will take it to the dealer on Monday.  Who knows? This might just save me another $560! (Ha! I'll count it when I see it!)

The excerpt from the tax notice is as follows:

Hard-wall hot tub or spa, supply and installation:  When a hard-wall hot tub or spa is delivered and placed directly on the concrete pad or area where it will be permanently located, it is considered a fixture.  The dealer pays RST on the cost of the hot tub or spa and on any installation materials used for the contract.  RST must not be charged or shown on the invoice to the customer.

Thank you all for your advice and support.  I will keep you posted as to how it goes.

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 11:32:00 am »
I spoke to the dealer this morning about the fact that dealer-installed tubs are considered fixtures and as such, they were exempt from PST.  

He told me that hot tubs were like any other appliance and taxed the same.  When I pointed out the Ministry rules on taxation pertaining specifically to tubs, he said that he'd never heard of it.  This concerns me as it means one of 2 things:
1) He genuinely didn't know something as significant as this in his own industry, so he may not be the best choice for me as a dealer.
2) He may have deliberatly misled me - or hoped that I wouldn't find out.  I need to be able to trust my dealer.

I am also talking to another reputable Sundance dealer in the area.  He has been very helpful to me in my search for answers and although his sticker price was considerably higher, I thought that he deserved a chance to quote on the same product.  Turns out that his quote is very competitive with the first! He also was aware of proper tax procedures.

I've just experienced first-hand something that I've heard repeated here many times: Don't buy on impulse! A deal today will most often be a deal tomorrow.

Hey!  At least now I will have more time to prepare the site for my new tub!

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 12:33:53 pm »
Your price appears to a good one. We were quoted $6275 for about the same package here in metro Chicago. Good luck!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 12:33:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42