What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Artesian Falcon current draw  (Read 4968 times)

barshnik

Artesian Falcon current draw
« on: September 10, 2006, 02:56:56 pm »
Just for general interest, (offshoot of 'Ozone questions' thread) I measured current demand for most possible operating modes.  (220v hookup, of course, pump settings at maximum):

Circ pump + ozone:  .9 amp
Circ pump + ozone + heat:  19 amp
Circ pump + ozone + heat + 1 seat pump:  26 amp
Circ pump + ozone + heat + 2 seat pumps:  33 amp
Circ pump + ozone + heat + 3 seat pumps:  21 amp  (heater will not operate with all 3 seat pumps active)

All readings are rounded to the nearest amp.  Unplugging the ozonator resulted in just a fraction of an amp difference, so the CD ozonator seems to be very efficient.

Subtract 19 amps for readings if heater not active.

Notice that the circ filter pump draws less than 1 amp, the seat pumps draw 7 amps each, and the heater draws about 19 amps.

I'm using Econ Mode 2, meaning the heater will only come on if needed from 4pm to 9pm.  With our daytime outdoor temps around 100 degrees these days in LV NV, the actual water temp never varies from my setting of 101 by more than 1 degree.

Hope this was of some interest...

John F
LV, NV
Artesian Falcon Cove (3 seater, 4 pumps including circ, 2005 model)

Hot Tub Forum

Artesian Falcon current draw
« on: September 10, 2006, 02:56:56 pm »

Reese

Re: Artesian Falcon current draw
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 03:03:16 pm »
Thanks!  Now, please go turn everything in the house on and see what the total draw is. ;) :)

barshnik

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 03:29:52 pm »
Jeez, wouldn't be that hard to do, just have to pull the deadfront from the main disconnect panel.  The hard part would be turning on (and off) every single electrical item in every room.  I think I'll take a pass on this.

At least the results of the 24 hour circ pump + ozone makes me feel like I'm not wasting too much energy on that - about 2 light bulbs running all day & night - and god knows neither my wife or I are very good about turning off lights when not used.

John F
LV, NV

Reese

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 03:49:13 pm »
 I think I'll take a pass on this.
;DI thought perhaps you could settle the "In Shock from Electrical Quote" thread about the need for service upgrades.  However, if you had done it, my next post was going to be:  "Thanks!  Now, please send me money."  8-)

Seriously though, that was good info.  Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 04:06:59 pm by Reese »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 04:43:24 pm »
Just for general interest, (offshoot of 'Ozone questions' thread) I measured current demand for most possible operating modes.  (220v hookup, of course, pump settings at maximum):

Circ pump + ozone:  .9 amp
Circ pump + ozone + heat:  19 amp
Circ pump + ozone + heat + 1 seat pump:  26 amp
Circ pump + ozone + heat + 2 seat pumps:  33 amp
Circ pump + ozone + heat + 3 seat pumps:  21 amp  (heater will not operate with all 3 seat pumps active)

All readings are rounded to the nearest amp.  Unplugging the ozonator resulted in just a fraction of an amp difference, so the CD ozonator seems to be very efficient.

Subtract 19 amps for readings if heater not active.

Notice that the circ filter pump draws less than 1 amp, the seat pumps draw 7 amps each, and the heater draws about 19 amps.

I'm using Econ Mode 2, meaning the heater will only come on if needed from 4pm to 9pm.  With our daytime outdoor temps around 100 degrees these days in LV NV, the actual water temp never varies from my setting of 101 by more than 1 degree.

Hope this was of some interest...

John F
LV, NV
Artesian Falcon Cove (3 seater, 4 pumps including circ, 2005 model)

Thanks for sharing!

My tub has the same pump config as yours and that's about what I measured.

If Mr BIGPOPPA reads this ... I wasn't too far off was I!

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 08:34:00 am »
Great info barchik, thanks for sharing.

Have you replaced your home lights that are used most frequently with energy efficient compact fluorescents?
That will probably help balance out the additional 24/7 circ pump cost.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 09:41:41 am »
Thanks for sharing.

I too have noticed that these hot tubs are very efficient during the summer months.  

I turned my thermostat down to about 90 and don't think I lost any water temperature in about 1 day's time.  The high temperature that day in Tennessee was about 90 and my tub does receive a fair amount of direct sunlight, but I was still very impressed.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 01:41:23 am »
Thanks that was great.  BTW, the pumps are probably 1.5 hp at that amp draw...maybe 2.  I'll bet they advertise it as 3 very large pumps, but amps don't lie. :o

barshnik

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 10:07:26 am »
Thanks that was great.  BTW, the pumps are probably 1.5 hp at that amp draw...maybe 2.  I'll bet they advertise it as 3 very large pumps, but amps don't lie. :o

The labels on the motors read:

GE Industrial Systems
Mod: 5KCP111ES007X
HP: (blank)
V: 230
Ph: 1
RPM: 3450
A: 6.4
Insul Class: F1
Time Rating: CONT

The controller box on top of the motor reads:

Ultimax Power Wow
HP: 3.0 BHP

So, yes, if 3bhp, then 2 or less actual hp.  More than enough for an individual seat, (2" hose throughout) with any seat power control set to 'max', I can only stand the pounding for a few minutes.  Normally after getting in, I'll set it to a medium setting for 5 minutes, then max for a few minutes, then back to a lower setting for as long as I want to soak (usually another 5 minutes.)  Nice having these individual seat controls.

With no decimal rounding this time, I measured current draw from one motor at 6.6 amp.  With the individual Platinum class Artisian speed controller set to 'low', current draw dropped to 5.3 amp.  At the low setting, I'd describe the jet action as 'very gentle'.

John F
LV, NV
Artesian Falcon Cove

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 10:07:26 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42