What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: D1 californian  (Read 4053 times)

still sore

D1 californian
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:15:32 pm »
I'm hoping to start a topic to get some info without it resulting in two guys having a pissing match and not getting much usefull info.

We like the Cali because it has wrist, thigh, and calf jets in the lounge. We tested the Saratoga Empire (wife likes the wrist jets) and Marquis reward (I like the leg jets) but neither had everything we wanted. The D1 dealer here is close, small, and has a good reputation, mostly for pools. He wired and filled the tub just so we could wet test it. Thing is, he doesn't seem to be up on some info other salesman have, like who is making the controls and brain (ex. gecko, balboa) or the pumps (flowmaster?).

I expect to pay a little more with a smaller dealer but I don't want to lose might shirt. He has a floor model for $8500 and will order one in our color preferences for @9500. We're seeing if we can cut down on options if we order one to save cost (ex. water fx, leds, SS jet caps). Thing is, on the one review of the Cali on this site the price was $6k. Are his prices way out of line? I can get the empire which has another pump (single speed) and more room for $9000.

Are the brain, controls, and pumps on the D1 good quality? I've seen posts listing D1 as high quality but would like some specifics.

Hot Tub Forum

D1 californian
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:15:32 pm »

jgirvine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: D1 californian
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 12:53:36 pm »
I really can not give you specfics, but I can give you personal experience.

We bought 6 months ago a D1 Triad that was used (2002).  We have no D1 dealer in our area.

1.  We have been very happy with the spa.
2.  Not having a dealer, when we have had questions, we have used this forum, but more important, we tried emailing D1 Tech support (let me know if you want email address).
Tech support has been sooooooo responsive and helpful.

good luck

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 12:58:00 pm »
I'd hate to see this go unanswered...

I'm not a D1 dealer, but of the non-HS spas that I like, D1 and Sundance are my favorites.  Dimension One makes a very quality spa.  I wouldn't feel cheated paying over 8k for it.  

How immediately are you looking to make the purchase?

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 12:58:07 pm »
I have a 93 D1 that was given to me 5 years ago. Tech support from D1 has been excellent.

cappy2449

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 01:55:33 pm »
that seems high for the cali...i paid $9500 tax included for the chairman II, with everything...steps, cover, lifter, chemicals

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 03:33:23 pm »
if you like it, it's in your price range, and no one else (locally) sells them...seems like $9500 is the "going price" in your area. Prices are subject to change, depending what part of the country you're in. There's a D-1 dealer within about 30 minutes of our house, and I can't remember if the Californian is going for $8k or $10k... :-/
Either way, dealer/manufacturer support is worth PLENTY on this sort of purchase, IMHO.
Take this for what it's worth, which is just my $.02.
Best of luck!
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 03:38:30 pm »
I think the guy who sold D1 isn't around, but D1 is a good name. Very good.

If you must verify the pumps and controls, open the equipment panal and look yourself.  ;) OR  Contact D1, they can help you out too!
07 Caldera Geneva

still sore

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 09:52:23 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies w/out the arguing.

I've been inside the panel and the brains and pumps almost look proprietary. The pumps are "dimension one flowmaster" and the computer panel only says dimension one, at least that I could find.

I was thinking the price was high as well. Then again, the dealer probably doesn't have much volume so there's not as much movement. I'm close to the Saratoga factory which is why I think I got them down to $9k for a $10.5k tub.

I'm a big fan of the chairman, except, it doesn't come with the thigh jets. The adjustable pillow in the lounge has got to be great, but why make all of that without the thigh jets? I just don't get it. The thigh jets hit my hamstrings right where I need it. You go up in options and they eliminate the thigh jets and sometimes the calf jets - why?

jgirvine - I'd really appreciate the tech support address, maybe I can find out if I can get the chairman II with the leg jets I want.

giraffe - right now the big hold up is between my wife and I. We agreed we both like the cali (couldn't agree on the others we tested, my favorite was the marquis reward, hers the saratoga empire) but I'm all for the floor model (gray) @$8300, she wants to order the colors that match our deck (brown/blue) for $9500. Thats whats holding me up from putting a deposit on the Cali.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 09:52:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42