What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: deck or crushed stone under tub?  (Read 38025 times)

Webini

Re: deck or crushed stone under tub?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 02:36:44 pm »
A few questions for those who did the PT wood, crushed stone.

1.) I'm concerned that 2*4 will nbot hold in the stone as well as 4*4. However many here used 2*4. Is 2*4 sufficient for the weight load?

2.) For those who made a wood box, how did you ensure the box did not move? Did you drive metal stakes thorugh the wood into the ground or did you just nail the four corners together, or both?

3.) A few mentioned that the tub can sit directly on the stone and I can "shim" it. What does this mean?

In making my box frame, I used 2x6.   I secured the box frame with metal corner brackets & long wood screws.  Additionally, I drove some metal stakes along the sides.

I back filled with some dirt and gravel.

Exactly what I did.  Worked great.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 02:36:44 pm »

Reese

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 02:42:16 pm »
$1400 CND. I find that a bit expensive.
 :oMe, too!    

Styx555

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2006, 09:53:58 am »
seeing as the cement pad is soo expensive, my other option would be buidling a wood platform. What I was thinking was bulding a 10*10 box using PT 4*4, then having 4*4 running every 2 feet. Finally running 1*6 floor boards acroos the top. Would this hold up the weight? Is crushed stone still a better option?

Reese

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2006, 10:24:44 am »
Since you are in northern climate, my personal preference after a slab would be a deck with footings and the appropriate 2X joists, but several posts here already have demonstrated nice crushed rock bases (albeit in warmer climates). Your 4x4 idea could probably work, but 2ft spacing is probably to far for a 1x6 skin, and I'd be concerned about settling. How about your idea, filled with rock?  I'd get input from your local dealer.  I'd also check local handymen (my Home Depot offers referrals, and the community newspaper has ads for several) to try to find a better price on a basic slab and/or help with a deck.    

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2006, 10:24:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42