What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking at 2-3 person tubs - help?  (Read 6311 times)

barshnik

Looking at 2-3 person tubs - help?
« on: August 21, 2006, 11:40:02 pm »
Our current one is 14 year old 8' square no-name I bought from a guy using rental space for a 'showroom'.  I've had little problem keeping it working fine over the years, gone through 2 heater elements, relays every other year, and this last year bought a new heater/control box for it.

In the 14 years of use (I get in EVERY morning & evening, wife every evening) we've only had another couple in it maybe twice.

We are planning a complete back yard renovation, and figured I'd start looking at 2-3 person tubs.  Must say, I'm taken aback by the prices these days.  Here is what I've looked at so far:

Hot Springs Jetsetter (quoted $5800):  I dry-sat only, but the seating positions felt very 'blocky' to me, not contoured much.

Sundance Metro (quoted $5500) and the much more expensive 800 series small tub (Capri?  quoted $7500)):  Dry sat in the Metro and wet-sat the Capri.  Felt more comfortable, more contoured.  Don't think I'd use all the jets of the Capri, a little overkill for my liking.

Planning to look at the D1 Dupree, Triad, and Companion.  How will prices compare on these?

Comments on build quality, filtering, pumps, controls, and anything else are really welcomed - other than having used a minimalist hot tub for the last 14 years, and keeping it running, I've got no experience with any of these.

My current water treatment consists of a zinc plug plumbed in the combo recirc/pressure pump intake (have replaced this twice), adding about 3 tablespoons of granulated chlorine every few days, and cleaning the single filter every few months, couldn't be easier.

Help me, please.  I'm sold on the zinc plug effectiveness, I think my chlorine level is at or below our drinking water level with never any problems.

Any comments are welcomed.

John F
LV, NV

Hot Tub Forum

Looking at 2-3 person tubs - help?
« on: August 21, 2006, 11:40:02 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: Looking at 2-3 person tubs - help?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 11:51:05 pm »
Bar,

I'm not very familiar with any of the smaller spas out there. I'm sure some folks will chime in here soon with advise.

I've never heard of the "zinc plug" system before. Is it Vermonter approved? Can you explain how the system operates?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 12:14:03 am »
Try Marquis Spirit/315.  Spirit is back for limited time at very low price with expensive cedar factory stained with expensive sikkens mix.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 05:43:22 am »
Of course, I'm going to say wet test the jetsetter. Ask them for a better price or add a lifter and a step...worst thing someone could say is..no. Solana tx,rx,sx models? I happen to have a tx. Love it! Good luck to you. Thanks for posting.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

jgirvine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 07:37:42 am »
We have a D1 Triad.   Love it.  I can not help you with pricing, as we were able to get it used.  Had it about 4 months now.  Works great.  Love, Love, Love the lounger.  You can set the jets to undulate, or just work on certain areas.  I am 5' 3" and my husband is just a little over 6' and that has not been a problem either.  We also like the 2 other seats.  Just depends where my back or shoulders are aching that day.  We also looked at the jetsetter, but we really liked the D1 better.  Good luck.

Hammster

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 09:24:50 am »
Sundance Metro (quoted $5500) and the much more expensive 800 series small tub (Capri?  quoted $7500)):  Dry sat in the Metro and wet-sat the Capri.  Felt more comfortable, more contoured.  Don't think I'd use all the jets of the Capri, a little overkill for my liking.

John F
LV, NV

Hi John,
We have the Sundance Capri and love it! The lounge is very contoured and comfortable. The little jets for your hands, in the lounge arm rests, are great for tired hands. DW and I have not found the number of jets excessive. Each seating position has a different assortment of jets so you can move around to each seat and feel the differences. Also, the air jets for the calves in the lounger feel so good massaging calves after a good workout or bike ride or what have you.

We got the CD Ozone (for free) from our Sundance dealer and we are following the Nature2 (Called SunPurity for Sundance Spas) with MPS regime for our spa. We are like you in that it's generally just the 2 of us with an occasional guest so our current chemistry method has been working great. I don't care for the smell of chlorine and I've had chlorine related ear problems (called swimmer's ear) in the past so that's why I try to avoid it. Still need a little bit, but I've literally used 4 tsp of Dichlor since March of this year. So, not too bad.

Our Capri was around $6000 installed. Not including the electric service. The Capri only requires a 50amp circuit. For me, the little extra spent was worthwhile as Sundance is one of the best out there.

Hope this helps some.

barshnik

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 10:08:32 am »
6k for the Capri, eh?  My Sundance dealer seems quite high, then - 7.5k.  I've not done any bargaining yet though, was just in the decision making stage.

Am going to look at the D1's (hopefully) today to see what those look like.

The Capri did seem very comfortable, and very roomy for 2 people.

Thanks for all of your help,

John F
LV, NV

barshnik

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 10:23:45 am »
Oh, the zinc - our local pool / spa parts house sells them.  It is just a zinc plug about 3/4" diameter, maybe 2" long fitted in a standard 'T' fitting that gets plumbed in the circulation intake, or output.

They used to be very expensive, but now under $100 I think.  The idea is to keep chemical usage to a minimum.  Apparantly the guy who thought of it lived in the rainy part of Washington, and noticed that slime/moss did not grow under the zinc-coated nails of his house siding, leaving clean streaks below each nail.

Zinc, as it turns out, is also good for the skin (zinc oxide) and algae will not grow where it is present.  This is all I use with the addition of very small amount of chlorine granules 1 or 2 times / week.  I've measure my chlorine level at about the same as our city treated drinking water, or just slightly higher.

I'm on my second plug now (they seem to last 5-6 years.  Once a year I unscrew the plug from the 'T' and wire-brush the oil/crud off of the metal for better exchange.

I don't think it is 'snake oil' as I've never had any type of water problem since I started using them about 12 years ago.

He says they are used in most Vegas hotel spas & pools to help save on chemical usage.

John F
LV, NV

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 10:26:34 am »
Definitely check out the SX and the Tiger River Sumatran.

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 02:33:24 pm »
My current water treatment consists of a zinc plug plumbed in the combo recirc/pressure pump intake (have replaced this twice), adding about 3 tablespoons of granulated chlorine every few days, and cleaning the single filter every few months, couldn't be easier.

Help me, please.  I'm sold on the zinc plug effectiveness, I think my chlorine level is at or below our drinking water level with never any problems.

Any comments are welcomed.

John F
LV, NV

Don't know anything about the zinc plug but 3 tablespoons of chlorine seems like a lot! Is this the same as dichlor or something else? I rarely put more than 2 teaspoons of dichlor in my tub after each use except when I shock and it is a 500 gallon tub.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

barshnik

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 03:28:43 pm »
Definitely check out the SX and the Tiger River Sumatran.
Sorry, what is an 'SX'?
I see Tiger River is made by Hot Springs, or is at least owned by Hot Springs?

Yes, my chlorine unit of measure was wrong - a couple of Teaspoons (not tablespoons) of granules twice a week...

John F
LV, NV

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 03:33:13 pm »
John we just opened a new 30,000 square ft show room in Vegas last year go check it out its Cal Spas out by the Silverton Cal Spas has a bunch of 2 to 3 person spas let me know I can get ya a great price if interrested at all. Let me kno if you decide to check them out I will hook ya up. Dont talk to a salesman prior to talkin to me tho.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 03:34:34 pm by spaman_dot_com »
-SpaMan~

Chris_H

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 03:39:31 pm »
John we just opened a new 30,000 square ft show room in Vegas last year go check it out its Cal Spas out by the Silverton Cal Spas has a bunch of 2 to 3 person spas let me know I can get ya a great price if interrested at all. Let me kno if you decide to check them out I will hook ya up. Dont talk to a salesman prior to talkin to me tho.

Always looking for a commission...

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 03:45:29 pm »

I dont work on commission, but thanks for asking!
-SpaMan~

barshnik

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 06:48:49 pm »

I dont work on commission, but thanks for asking!

Check your PM

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 06:48:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42