What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone here familiar with Cal Cover?  (Read 4340 times)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Anyone here familiar with Cal Cover?
« on: August 02, 2006, 04:00:21 pm »
Cal Cover, NOT Cal Spa.......I'm trying to find out about a product they used and have receintly discontinued.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone here familiar with Cal Cover?
« on: August 02, 2006, 04:00:21 pm »

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Anyone here familiar with Cal Cover?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 04:12:56 pm »
Yeah I have one. Not sure about it being discontinued but they are recalling all covers sold between 2004-2005. They lose heat in the seam where it folds over. They are sending a replacement free of charge.

Call your dealer where you bought your tub they will take care of everything for you.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 05:23:39 pm »
Actually I'm just trying to find out about one type of material they used in the production of some covers. It "was" an alternate scrim material that was mylar laminated to a single sided scrim. They went through about 9 container loads, then just stopped using it. I"m trying to find out if there was a problem with it, or just a change in marketing strategy, or something else.

COME ON PEOPLE! Help me out here with some cooperate espionage.  ;D ;D ;D

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 08:29:29 pm »
Doc,

My dealer told me I have a Cal Cover. It has a greyish beige patterned (maybe raised is a better term) side that faces the water (is that a scrim). It's not shiny but feels a little bit like plastic.

Just be careful on that espionge thing ... there can be MAJOR federal consequenses ... just use a false mustache! ;)

Hey, you wanna swap - an extreme cover for my Cal ...

sledjunkie - were you pulling Doc's leg or is there really a recall?  My tub was made in April 2005 and the cover's seam doesn't have a good seal - kind of it's missing link. I was waiting for it to go so I could order a better quality cover.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 08:39:56 am »
I was pulling his leg

;D

Charger Fan

• Go Bolts!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 12:15:30 am »
We saw that reflective material on our covers (from Cal Cover) for about a 4-6 month period, and then out of the blue it was back to the old gray bottom again.  I've never heard one single complaint from any of our customers who have it, so I'm not sure why they stopped.  Customers sure seemed to like the mirror-like appearance of it.  I was kind of sad to see it stop!  

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 01:19:38 am »
THANK YOU Charger Fan............ can I ask, how long ago did you see it?

Charger Fan

• Go Bolts!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 08:05:03 pm »
I would say it was probably summer of 2005 that I saw it last.  We did order a replacement vinyl in for a customer who wanted it, and we were able to get that in about September of 2005.  It seems like the boxes that contained the individual covers were marked with the words "with heat shield" while they were making them that way.  Then, like I said, out of the blue it just stopped.  I'm not sure what why that material would be called heat shield, but I'm pretty sure that's the way the boxes were marked.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 08:06:54 pm »
Well, if it is reflective it would reflect the heat back, thus  - Heat Sheild.

Charger Fan

• Go Bolts!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 08:17:43 pm »
One other thing I forgot to mention--One of my delivery guys mentioned that he remembers that when the sun hit this material at a certain angle, it would definitely shine right in your eyes.  It was worse when the entire cover was up in the air above the spa with any of the Covermate III's or other hydraulic coverlifts.  That's the only negative I've heard so far.

Pisces

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 01:55:19 pm »
Hey Doc,

Wasn't there a mention on your board, some time ago, about ozone deteriorating the reflective heat shield material more rapidly than the conventional material?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 04:41:47 pm »
Not deteriorate, but delaminate. The "reflective material" is laminated to standard scrim (the regular underside material) and excessive sanitizers, over time, was causing it to bubble and delaminate. The manufacturer of the material we currently use though "solved" the problem some time ago and we have not seen any new instances of delamination in about 1-1/2 years. The manufacturer of the stuff I'm here inquiring about also had the same delamination problems, but is telling us they too solved it. Sooooooooo, I guess I'm trying to find some "independent" info on this and if perhaps there's any other problems the manufacturer isn't telling me   ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 01:55:18 am by lets »

Pisces

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 01:39:33 am »
Thanks Doc, for the clarification.

Oscar

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 01:39:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42