What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: An older Sovereign self install in Alaska  (Read 3203 times)

Mr_D

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
An older Sovereign self install in Alaska
« on: July 02, 2006, 10:03:36 pm »
Hi everyone, I have been lurking for a couple of weeks now getting some info and stuff.
I bought an older HS Soverign I think its about a 96 model, it has green small tiles near the top inside, has what looks like cedar planks outside. I bought it for $100 last month, it had some damage that was repaired pretty lousy by the last owner when he melted a hole in the ABS floor when it was full of ice and one of the heaters was dead, it did come with a 50amp GFCI breaker and box plus the other GFCI plug in for the motor. Its missing the front access cover under the control panel but thats nothing, I fixed the damage done by removing all the bondo and cleaning the ABS then I used a plastic weld system like epoxy, finished it with Fusion plastic white spray paint, perfect repair.
Since I work and drive for a concrete company here in rural Alaska about 35 miles north of Anchorage I delivered the concrete myself, it was a 50-50 mix of 3/8 and 3/4 rock, Fibermesh poly reinforcing additive, over double layered heavy wire mesh with rebar on top of bluboard  with PEX heat tubing, I did all the work myself.
After having to refinish the top surface a bit cause it rained while I was pouring and it left ripples I glued a heavy outdoors type pool carpet to the 12'x18' slab. The carpet was on sale at Lowes, I paid $27 for all of it. I brought the tub in using the companys boom truck and set it in place myself, filled it up and checked ot the pump for the first time, found out I need to replace the moto massage cause it broke off the threads, found one on Ebay for $69.
In a little bit I'll head back outside and put up the walls and hopefully do the roof tomorrow. It was too hot today for my, about 72 and thats pretty warm! I picked up a huge double paned window that was a customer return uninstalled that was originally $366 for $188. Picked up all my lumber and roofing materials this morning and I have the next three days off to put this all together.  Soon I will finish the 220 part for the heaters. I think I will get a new GFCI breaker cause the one that came with it looks beat up, gotta be safe about that part cause I do 3 phase 440 work a lot. I will try to continue along with my spa adventure as it happens, BTW I bought most all chemicals but will have to ship my water in cause ours is terribly full of iron.
Not bad for a redneck huh? ;D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 10:25:12 pm by Mr_D »

Hot Tub Forum

An older Sovereign self install in Alaska
« on: July 02, 2006, 10:03:36 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: An older Sovereign self install in Alaska
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 12:12:12 am »
Congrats Mr. D. I hope your spa lasts another 20 years. There have been a few people around here that have done similar rebuilds and are very happy.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

salesdvl

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 11:07:16 am »
Welcome to the group.
Measure once, cut twice.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 03:01:07 pm »
Welcome to the group.

When it's done we'll need pictures as proof.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Mr_D

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 07:50:52 am »
Just a little update, been really busy with my regular work in the concrete business here in Alaska but little by little I have been building the new room, have to make the insulation triple thick, two inches of styrofoam on the outside walls with R-21 in the studs with another 1" of styrofoam inside with OSB over that then a nice faux tile wall board to finish it. The roof is done in a similar fashion of R-19 sandwiched between 1" styrofoam panels. Final inside ceiling will be suspended white ceiling tiles with recessed lights.
Wired all the electrical this last weekend and as soon as I can all the tools and stuff come off the top of the tub which has been covered for a work bench and then its time to refill it and set up the chemicals, sorry no pics.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 07:52:22 am by Mr_D »

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 12:20:54 pm »
Now THIS sounds like a JOB!

Glad to see someone else take a "leap" and do their own job.

Try and get some pics Mr_D, it would really make this thread....

Good Luck!

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 12:42:15 pm »
I don't want to sound negative, but are you allowing for a removalbe section of wall, or a large door in case you want to upgrade to a newer/larger spa or whatever? I have run into a few folks who built the house around the spa and then years later they wanted to swap it or remove it...

Also - I would not do a suspended ceiling: moisture getting above it is a problem. You might want to go dyrwall with a good enamel paint job on it.

Just some thoughts.

Looking forward to pics.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Mr_D

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 05:59:32 am »
That has made me consider putting in an air mover to pump out the excess moisture into other parts of the house, everything in Alaska is about heating costs during our long winters plus the air gets terribly dry in the house, I have our clothes drier venting back into the house to actually help build up moisture, tried humidifiers but maintenance of them was a problem. Climatewise where I live its semi-arrid, that means basically its rather dry year round, our average humidity is low as well.
Yesterday I started work early around 5am and finished repairs to a front end loader and then took the rest of the day off, finished up some roof edge trim work and started the ceiling insulation and the outer wall wiring, I am installing automatic in wall LED area lights that go in boxes instead of a wall socket for low level night lights around the tub, the ceiling will have both dimmable recessed halo  lights plus a 4 tube troffer recessed light for full room illumination.
My goal this weekend is to clear off the top of the tub which has been covered for a workbench and refill it, our water has iron in it so bad we won't drink it and white clothes over time become rust covered so I will add some metalgone and see if that helps. More updates soon and yes I will dust off my camcorder and try for some pics.

Duh me I never thought about upgrading to a newer model, been out shopping for a 73" DLP widescreen though, I guess when the time comes it meanns getting a good supply of sawzall blades...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 06:05:03 am by Mr_D »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 05:59:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42