What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Trying to grasp Chems & Ozone ?  (Read 2329 times)

ORANGEPEEL

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Trying to grasp Chems & Ozone ?
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:34:34 pm »
I admit I am a newbie novice. About one month into "Hot Tubbing".
Have been reading this forum for about one month and have found it very informative.
Also read "Vermonter's" Ozone parts 1-2-3 and comments from others. Again very interesting, I think I've grasped the general concepts.
So...here is my situation...
Our tub is at our weekend home, so we only get to use it 2-3 times per weekend. I've been doing the following:
1. After the first filling with very clear well water I was able to get the PH and Alk. into the proper range without much trouble. The PH and Alk. have continued to stay at the correct levels after only minor adjustments.
2. Using Dichlor for the chlorine source.
3. Each weekend before using, do a shock with MPS.
4. Upon leaving for the days the tub sits idle I've used a floater with one Tri-Chlor tab, with a minimum release setting. (This was per dealer's suggestion)
5. Tub has an ozonator, and 24/7 filtering system pump.
6. So far I have had what appears to be very clear water upon arrival every weekend.
7. The floater is taken out and the chlorine reading is at about 2.0 or so. Then just add a little Di-Chlor and it comes up to about 3.5 or so.
8. Temp setting is at 100, but in the blistering heat it has gained about 3-5 degrees during the week of non-use. Taking the cover off and running the circ. pump and waterfall gets it back down to 101/102 within an hour or so.
9. I have also purchased a Chlorine shock but have not yet seen any apparent need to use it, as the water is very clear, but maybe I should use it.
10. I'd like to keep everything as uncomplicated as possible and not get over extended with trying to "micro manage" the chemicals.
11. It seems that, so far, I don't have any problems, and that it is working fine, but being new I may need some further "expert" advice. The one thing that is a concern is if there would be a growth of the "Micro-organisms" (That Vermonter referred to). Does the MPS
take care of that, or should I do a Chlorine shock also?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments. ;)

Hot Tub Forum

Trying to grasp Chems & Ozone ?
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:34:34 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Trying to grasp Chems & Ozone ?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 03:07:37 am »
Tri chlor tablets can and will damage many of the plastic parts of tubs - including but not limited to the shell itself.

Read the fine print of your warranty- it may even specifically exclude damage done by trichlor tabs.

If you need to use a feeder use Brilliance.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 09:41:18 pm »
   Orange, While I discourage the use of tri-chlor like Chas, I must say, you sound as though you've got a nicely tuned system that's working for you.
   Addressing Chas' concerns- your floater should have a fine mesh at the flow adjusting area to keep pieces of the chlorine tab from falling to the spa shell. Tri-Chlor has a LOWWW PH. Do you find the alkalinity and ph low upon your arrival each weekend? Can you pop a silver ion cartridge in anywhere?
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 09:41:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42