What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: When do you not support your dealer?  (Read 3027 times)

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
When do you not support your dealer?
« on: July 26, 2006, 08:43:43 am »
Okay, before I begin let me start by stating I fully believe in supporting my dealer and local businesses. I carry this philosphy in my professional dealings also. I belive suppliers need to make a profit to stay viable and be able to continue to support their products!

Since we have had our tub my parents have come to soak once or twice a week. It is difficult for my dad to get in and out of the tub. In hindsight we should have placed the tub right against the deck with the steps there so you could hang onto the deck while getting in and out, too late now. My husband and I thought one of the handrails you can purchase might be a good idea. Doc's site has it for $118 my dealer wants $159. A 35% difference in cost seems huge to me (keep in mind that includes my 10% discount since we bought our tub from them). I think a variance of 15% is more in line. I am tempted to order this from Doc as opposed to my local dealer however I want to support my dealer.

What are your opinions? I would like to hear from Dealers and consumers.

Tammy

Hot Tub Forum

When do you not support your dealer?
« on: July 26, 2006, 08:43:43 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: When do you not support your dealer?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 08:47:43 am »
Spread it around.  Both your dealer and Doc have probably been there to help you.  I don't have to worry, my dealer closed and is in trouble with the law.

I'm assuming your going to install it yourself. If you are having your dealer install it, then buy it from them.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 08:48:46 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 09:03:29 am »
Does Doc's price include Shipping? (the hidden cost of on-line shopping).

Docs does a lot around here to help tub owners and I agree with Wm...spread it around.  
07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 09:12:46 am »
Your dealer made enough from you with your tub purchase. If they can't compete with internet prices too bad for them.
I buy all stuff online as it's cheaper and I don't need to drive around town wasting gas. Saves time and money.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 09:56:01 am »
I'm disappointed drew...... We have no hidden costs. That was the most important thing for me to avoid when I developed the web site. Over $60 shipping is free.

tmknies1, tell your dealer what you can get it for elsewhere and make him an offer. I do it all the time in retail stores, and frequently they match, or come close to matching the price. If not, ummmmmmmm, wait about 2 days, we're out of hand rails at the moment, but they're on their way.  ;D
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

cappykat

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 10:36:42 am »
I would have no trouble going elsewhere.  We all try to get the best deals we can and if your dealer can give you that--fine, if not, don't feel guilty.  I agree, spread it around.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 10:37:02 am by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 10:43:40 am »
I'm disappointed drew...... We have no hidden costs. That was the most important thing for me to avoid when I developed the web site. Over $60 shipping is free.

tmknies1, tell your dealer what you can get it for elsewhere and make him an offer. I do it all the time in retail stores, and frequently they match, or come close to matching the price. If not, ummmmmmmm, wait about 2 days, we're out of hand rails at the moment, but they're on their way.  ;D

Sorry if you took my post the wrong way.  I was not impling you hid costs.  I've always have spoken very highly of you and your web site and recomend other shop there.  :)

I was just point out, in general terms, that many folks who shop on the internet, get an inital low purchase price, but many times, any savings that were realized are eaten up by shipping.  My wife is infamous for this.  The other day, she bought a gift for our neice, it was $14 online,  and $18 at the local store.  She told me she saved $4 off the top, as well as time and gas.  

I pointed out she paid $5.75 in S/H.

That's all. I hope there wasn't any confusion and I applogize if  my post did confuse the issue.
07 Caldera Geneva

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 11:02:51 am »
This is true. We get a few calls a week asking if we'll match someone else's prices, we always say yes, and frequently we then get to tell the person that whatever that wanted will now cost them more, as the price they want us to match also includes a shipping charge they didn't notice from the other seller  ;)

What always amuses me is around Christmas, people will buy a $4 duck, and spend $20 to have it sent next day air. I've been known to buy something for $5, and spend another $8 on shipping. But I know what I'm getting into, and really don't want to drive 2 hours to a store for it.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

hymbaw

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 11:33:14 am »
There is more than one company making hand rails. Are you comparing apples to apples?
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 11:43:01 am »
I would have no trouble going elsewhere.  We all try to get the best deals we can and if your dealer can give you that--fine, if not, don't feel guilty.  I agree, spread it around.

That said, when my dealer was still around, he was constantly switching brands to get the best profit margin, and I couldn't buy ones I liked.   Then again,  I have a few dealers I visit periodically, and if I'm in there, I'll buy when I'm there.  My best price on Dichlor is still from the local HS dealer (I own Dynasty, in case anyone has forgetten)  
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 11:51:39 am »
There is more than one company making hand rails. Are you comparing apples to apples?

Yes, I used part# and specs to ensure I was comparing apples to apples.

rick

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 12:28:16 pm »
it's probably an item he doesn't move much of thus the high markup.

Present him Doc's price and I'd bet a bottle of sanitizer that your dealer comes down very close to that price.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 12:32:16 pm »
It is pretty simple to me... Doc is a great guy and help to many here....Your dealer pays for a retail location and paid to have the rail shipped to him and you can take it home right away...Its up to you to decide whats that worth.....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:33:20 pm by Mendocino101 »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 01:09:03 pm »
Does Doc's price include Shipping? (the hidden cost of on-line shopping).

Docs does a lot around here to help tub owners and I agree with Wm...spread it around.  

In the case of this site, you always know the price, including shipping before you have to give your credit card, so I consider that being upfront.

nicker

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 01:28:11 pm »
I would first ask your dealer if they will match the price, give them the option.  If not go else where.  I understand where you are coming from but who you are looking out for.  I think it should be your self and your pocket.   If my dealer wouldn't match the price id go else where, simple as that.  But I would give my dealer the option first.  My dealer has done lots for me so I think I owe him that.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 01:28:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42