What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie Advice for Buying a Spa  (Read 2607 times)

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
Newbie Advice for Buying a Spa
« on: July 25, 2006, 12:51:30 pm »
Hi All:

I started to respond to "tubbyB's" thread "Hot Water with Dealer" but didn't want to hi-jack it with a LONG post. Instead, I put down some thoughts based on my experience with buying a spa, what I've read from others here and my experience from working in retail back in the 80's.

First off, I gotta believe that dealers get "tired" of consumers "shopping around" for tubs. I think (and this is my OPINION) that many dealers "see" a potential buyer at different "levels" and that sometimes they "label" potential buyers as "unlikely" prospects if they do certain things.

When you see it from their side - and dealers on this forum please chime in here - they don't want to put out additional effort, expense or even exposure on something they think is a losing proposition. An absurd example occurred on this forum a while back when a certain poster went on and on about buying a tub for MONTHS because he wanted "the best deal." He ended up never buying because he could never become "happy" with what he COULD get. He always wanted MORE.

So, are you frustrated? Here are my suggestions:
  • Become educated BEFORE going shopping. Do your research. Visit websites, print stuff out, know the "lingo" and what's involved. Narrow down your choices by developing a list of features you would "like" and then determine which spa manufactures have these and what dealers in your area carry them. Put this information in a folder and carry it with you to a showroom. Don't show it directly to the salesperson, but let them "see" that you have something.

• When you walk into the showroom, make immediate eye contact with the salesperson, nod your head and wait near the reception area for someone to come to you. When they do, tell them "I want a tub in my back yard by October 1st (or some other date) - what can you show me? If you have a price limit, tell the salesperson what it is, but subtract $500 (say something like, "my ballpark is about $7,500" if you don't want to spend more than $8,000). Make certain that you FIRMLY establish you WANT to BUY. Don't say wishy-washy stuff like "I'm thinking about it," or "maybe in the near future." Worst of all, when approached by the salesperson who asks if he or she can help, DON'T say "no thanks, I'm just looking" and THEN approach them LATER about buying.

• Let the salesperson do their routine. It's THEIR job and they are (hopefully) good at it. Ask questions when THEY finish, don't interrupt them. Listening is a sign of respect. You can establish much better repore and learn more about the "attitude" of someone by LISTENING to them. If you did your homework, focus on your questions about the product. Ask them what "key features" really set their product apart from others. See if they will "bad mouth" the competition. If they do, consider that they will probably "bad mouth" you as a customer the first time you have a problem AFTER a purchase. GOOD sales people compliment the competition but SELL you their product because it's BETTER.

• Leave your contact information for the sales person. Reaffirm when you want to buy. TELL them you have several other tubs to shop and that if you are interested you will call THEM back. Don't talk price if they don't bring it up. If they do, talk "ballpark" figures and tell them right now you are "shopping for features." DON'T let them try and "deal" you when walking out the door. If they do, simply reply "well, if you REALLY want my business, tell me that when I call you back."

• Visit other stores. Use the same routine. When you get comfortable with about 3 to 5 choices (maybe different brands, maybe different models) call the store, ask for the salesperson, identify yourself and schedule a wet test. If they refuse, press it. Tell them you are wet testing "Brand X" spas tonight  but that you would like to wet test their spa for comparison (don't lie, they have a way of knowing if the competition does wet testing). Don't make dates weeks in advance, do it RIGHT away. I won't get into how to wet test, check other posts for good methods.

• Before going to wet test, figure out HOW you are going to PAY for the spa. The "best" deal is always WITHOUT financing or a credit card. Pulling out the checkbook and a pen is a great motivator to "move" the price. Alternatively, credit card purchases offer GREAT protections you DON'T get by paying cash. If I had the funds and the "cash" price was only a few hundred dollars less, I'd still buy on credit card and then pay off the credit card. If you have a "rewards" card, this can be advantageous as well. If you need to finance through the store, don't expect a lot of movement on the price, unless "week-end BLOWOUTS" are part of their pricing strategy.

• On the same visit as wet testing, talk price. Make certain you have a CLEAR understanding of WHAT you are getting, how much it costs and if there are any "other" costs involved. Have the salesperson write it up while you wait. Insist on a "paper" price and have them indicate how long the price is good for. Tell them up front you are still considering "Brand X" spa and that you are wet testing the competition tomorrow night. Tell them you are planning to buy on (pick the day) and you will call them back either way.

(continued NEXT post…)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie Advice for Buying a Spa
« on: July 25, 2006, 12:51:30 pm »

Drewski

Re: Newbie Advice for Buying a Spa
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 12:52:28 pm »
  • After wet testing all brands and models, sit on your decision 24 to 48 hours. Narrow your choices by what you learned from wet testing and comparisons. I don't know if a second wet test makes sales people all that happy, BUT, if you need it, REQUEST it. Use this forum to compare pricing with others. Try and re-enforce that you are getting a "good" deal. If it's comparable, be HAPPY! If not, try to negotiate price, features or services with your #1 choice. If you can't, WALK away or be HAPPY if you GOTTA have it! Call back the sales people you are not planning on buying from and inform them of your choice. Be positive and provide feedback.

• When signing the contract, be VERY clear about pricing, features and services. Make certain EVERYTHING is spelled out. If it isn't, have them ADD it and INITIAL it. DON'T let someone say, "oh that's our standard practice - it's included," but the contract doesn’t mention it. Examples of this might be delivery charges or service charges for warranty work. If there's NO charge, have them put it on the contract. Sometimes services and other stuff (chemicals and toys, for example) can be negotiated instead of price, so don't always focus on moving the price down. Have the dealer indicate a delivery date and try to make it FIRM. Don't let them tell you "oh, it will be here next Friday." Try and get them to say "it will be here as soon as XX but no later than YY." Put the dates on the contract.

• Finally, make certain you hold up YOUR end of the deal. Get your electricity, site and other stuff prepared and ready at least a WEEK before you anticipate delivery. This gives you ample time to work out "issues." It also establishes you as a responsible customer to the dealer, meaning you can usually expect GOOD service from them. Sometimes new spas can have "minor" issues after delivery. Get a clear understanding from the delivery guys that you want everything to WORK. Ask if someone is available to assist you with problems BEFORE they leave; get a name, cell number, etc. If you DO have a problem, call them immediately. This is why it's best to have your tub delivered on a Monday or Tuesday morning, NOT Friday afternoon before Labor Day weekend.

I hope this post puts some of this in perspective for people and is helpful. I also hope others will share experiences and advice as well - especially some of the dealers. I’ll be the first to bust on BAD dealers, but realize that BAD customers are out there as well. For a GOOD business relationship between 2 parties, trust, understanding, support and follow-up are what I think is important.

Peace and Hot Water...

Drewski  

8)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 01:03:07 pm by Drewski »

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 01:00:05 pm »
Great post Drewski :)

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:29:24 pm »
Almost to a tee of how I did it. Even the second wet test part.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 01:33:42 pm »
As a side note:

I am not telling the moderators how to do their job, but being a mod on another site, I find it useful when great posts like this are stickied. That way they are available up front and not lost in the shuffle. When I first found this forum I went through all 300+ pages and noticed that a lot of information gets lost by not being available easily up front and the same questions get asked over and over again.

I realize you have the "dead horse" section, but it is not intuitive to look there for commonly asked questions.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 01:43:15 pm »
One small comment.  Even though my business is comptuers and the internet, It still is not in a majority of homes in the US. I'll be 75% of the people who go to a hot tub store for the first time don't do that kind of research.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 01:44:03 pm »
 DON'T say "no thanks, I'm just looking" and THEN approach them LATER about buying.  

Why not?

don't interrupt them. Listening is a sign of respect. You can establish much better repore and learn more about the "attitude" of someone by LISTENING to them.

This goes both ways.    

good post!
07 Caldera Geneva

96SC

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 02:13:37 pm »
As a side note:

I am not telling the moderators how to do their job, but being a mod on another site, I find it useful when great posts like this are stickied. That way they are available up front and not lost in the shuffle. When I first found this forum I went through all 300+ pages and noticed that a lot of information gets lost by not being available easily up front and the same questions get asked over and over again.

I realize you have the "dead horse" section, but it is not intuitive to look there for commonly asked questions.

I agree with you cooltoy2000 about the 'stickys', there have been several things I have seen in here that I know I'll want later, but won't be able to find because of the 322 pages or they are embedded into a thread that is totally unrelated.

Good post Drewski.  I hope I can find it again later, but for now I'll print it (then lose it in a couple of days.)
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Drewski

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 04:20:11 pm »
Why not?

Psychology. Even if you don't have a LOT of $$, making the sales person believe you want to BUY will ALWAYS work out better for you.

Why? Because they see a SALE, not someone who's wasting their time. I think, to an extent, we have a "department store" mentality these days. Go in, look around, decide and buy (hell, these days you even need to scan your own stuff). So, what's the role of the sales person?

Well, in spas it's KNOWLEDGE. Let them impress you. If they BS you, that's a different story. And, if you do your homework BEFORE going shopping, you will know it and THAT in itself can save you some grief.

I tried this recently when I went furniture shopping at a local Basset Factory Store. I walked in, stood at the door, waited for eye contact, made it and nodded and in a few seconds I had 2 sales people coming up to me.  I told them I wanted to buy 3 rooms of furniture, had a $20K budget and was a cash customer. Before I left they had agreed to come to my house for a design session, offered a 20% discount off SALE prices and were falling over themselves trying to help me. I bought as promised and was VERY happy with both the price and product. Six months later when I walked in the store they STILL called me by name.

Do you need a LOT of $$ to make this work? Nope, just certainty, a polite attitude and a "no nonsense" air about you.

This goes both ways.

Absolutely. I wouldn't waste my time if they didn't.

Faced with only one dealer and a tub you REALLY want, if you get some BS from the first sales person you contact simply say, "look, I'd REALLY like to buy a tub from you guys, but is there someone else here I could talk to?"

If this is not an option, have a friend or your spouse call the store later and ask to speak with the owner or GM. Get on the phone, tell them what happened and then tell him or her that you would REALLY like to look at that spa. Suggest coming down right away and meeting them at the store, even if the store is closed. See what happens...    

Food for thought and THANKS for the compliment Drew...

The other DREWSKI

:P

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 11:47:42 am »
Isn't there a way get a mod's attention to this topic?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 11:48:28 am by cooltoy2000 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 11:47:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42