What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa location question  (Read 2873 times)

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
Spa location question
« on: June 07, 2006, 08:37:49 am »
Hey guys question about putting my new spa against the deck.  I have a 12 X 22 foot deck that empties out to a 20 X 27 foot patio below.  I was originally planning to put the spa right on the patio but friends suggested building against the corner of the front right corner of the deck and patio.  The area is now a lanscaping bed so should be fairly simple to put concrete or pavers.  How close to the deck can I get?  Even against the deck three sides of the spa will be accessible but I am not sure if I want spashing on the wood all the time.  Also how close to the house can I get?

Any other things to keep in mind when locating near a deck/patio?

Thanks,

Marc  

Hot Tub Forum

Spa location question
« on: June 07, 2006, 08:37:49 am »

Stemay

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Spa location question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 10:56:56 am »
We have our spa against the deck.  It is a side with a motor, so we just had to make sure that we removed some screws at the top of the panel so it will be easier to remove the panel if it is in need of maintenance.  We also needed to make sure that there is access under the deck.  Lots of people have the spas built into the deck.  My husband had a moment or concern about the water.....AFTER it was installed.  Oh well, we will just have to deal with that if/when the time comes.  It has only been installed for 3 days, so it's a little early to assess the effect it has on the deck.

Our cabinet is up against the deck, with the lip of the spa over the edge of the deck.  Makes it really nice for entering the spa.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 11:02:27 am »
Whatever your plans, run them by the people in your area who enforce the local codes.  City, county, whoever applies for you.
They should at least be able to give you some guidelines to start.  

From there, make sure the spa is accessible somehow for service on all sides.  And is in a logical location- water splashing out of the spa shouldn't matter too much, I wouldn't think.
With the spa in your desired location- will the spa be serviceble?  Will the deck railing or stairs be accessible for things like periodic cleaning, painting, etc.....
If your spa cabinet is some type of wood, you'll need to occasionally clean or stain it too- leave room for that, and make sure you place it where your cover lifter will work, and take into consideration how you'll get power to the location.  
 Just some ideas to ponder as you move forward......

Brewman

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 01:14:35 pm »
The thought was to have the new spa against the deck and actually remove the railings.  That way you could enter the spa from the deck where literally you could walk off the deck directly into the spa.  This would help in winter to keep the spa "commute" to a minimum!  Perhaps a gate coudld be installed rather than leaving the side of the deck completely open.  Also vinyl steps would be placed on the patio to enter the adjoining side.  The sides of the tub are vinyl so no need for maintenance.  I will talk to the dealer about logistics...which side should face the deck.  Where the cover/lifter should go, etc.  I will also contact the town to see if there are any restrictions.

Any thoughts of comparing a 4" concrete slab vs. just extending the pavers to go under the deck?  I would think either should suffice.

Thanks for the replies.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 01:51:00 pm »
 Either foundation should work as long as your spa doesn't have some clause in the warranty that says it's only valid if the spa in on concrete, etc.....
Important thing is to evenly support the spa so it can't flex under all the weight.

Brewman

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 01:54:43 pm »
I did 1ft x 1ft pavers for my tub and I too placed my hot tub about 18 inches from the existing deck.  My plans (funny how i lost all that free-time once my hot tub arrived) are to close this gap and extend the deck by 18 inches so that I can step directly into the tub from the deck (right now there is an 18 inch gap).

Eventually (this summer i'm sure) I'll add this "deck extender."  I will make this part semi-permanent in case i ever need to service that side of the hot tub.  My service panel is still easily accessible.

This link contains a few photos of my deck.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1145195169;start=0
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 02:23:40 pm »
AHa!!  This link is exactly what I am looking for but in another post today!     ;D  Very cool.
2005 HS Vanguard

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 06:46:12 pm »
As long as you can get to the electronics, you can slide the tub really close to the deck. Don't let it touch it as vibrations may transmit into the house.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 06:56:21 pm »
#1 -face the seating of your spa toward your best view into the backyard. #2 -make equipment accessible. #3 -if a cover lifter is in the plan, orientate it not to obstruct your view. #4 -butting the spa up to a deck is a great idea. Especially if you can elevate or position the spa so it sticks up about 18"-24" above your deck height. Makes for easy access into the spa without the need for a handrail.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 07:45:15 pm »
That's interesting HTP Boy.   I wa actually planning on the top of the spa being exactly the same height as the deck floor so as it sits next to the deck there is no step up to the spa.  Why do you think its best to have the spa 1 1/2 to 2 feet above the deck?  I am not challenging you but I want to do it whichever way is most practical and safe.

Thanks,

Marc

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 09:34:07 pm »
My spa is about 2' off the deck

The thought about it is it's easy to get in and out and as we get older all you have to do is to is sit on the edge and swing your feet over.  Also, no tripping hazard.

A dealer recommended it to me as I was shopping and I'm glad he did.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 09:34:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42