What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: water care schedule question  (Read 3288 times)

anne

water care schedule question
« on: May 15, 2006, 12:32:15 pm »
My habit has become:

daily dichlor - 1 tsp. (every time I check the post- treatment chlorine level, it is 4ppm, so I dont check it very often now)

*Sunday- MPS shock
*Monday- check ph, TA, add baking soda or "spa up" depending on whether pH or TA needs the most increase. I always focus on TA 1st, pH 2nd.
*Thursday or friday- add Defender, sometimes check pH

Predictably, the TA and pH tend to be a little low after the MPS. Baking soda does the trick. Is there any reason not to add baking soda and MPS on the same day? Northman's protocol seems to do this. My only hesitation is that skipping a day, and checking pH/TA 24 hrs after MPS, may help me fine tune how much to add.
Also, I have been doing weekly shocking just to stay on a predictable schedule. My combine chlorines have never been above .5ppm, and there is never a bad odor. Should I keep doing weekly shock, or just back off to "as needed"?
thanks!
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

water care schedule question
« on: May 15, 2006, 12:32:15 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: water care schedule question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 12:35:37 pm »
I only add dichlor after I soak, not everyday.  I persoanlly don't think keeping your dichlor up every day is necessary (or even desirable). Why everyday do you add dichlor? do you have an ozinator?

I shock with MPS every other week and that's based on my using the tub about 3 times a week.  If your use is simmillar I would suggest giving it a try and see what happens,

I was told by my dealer to use defender every other week.   ???

Sorry if this adds to your confusion.
07 Caldera Geneva

anne

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 12:40:32 pm »
I only add dichlor after I soak, not everyday.  I persoanlly don't think keeping your dichlor up every day is necessary (or even desirable). Why everyday do you add dichlor? do you have an ozinator?

I shock with MPS every other week and that's based on my using the tub about 3 times a week.  If your use is simmillar I would suggest giving it a try and see what happens,

I was told by my dealer to use defender every other week.   ???

Sorry if this adds to your confusion.

Amendment: I add chlorine no more than daily, or with each use. If I'm in the tub 2x, (am+pm) I just add at night. If a day goes by I dont soak, I dont add any. I use the tub almost every day.

I'm using Defender weekly only b/c the bottle says so, and I have harder then average water (450-500). I'm open to any opinions, though!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 12:42:08 pm »

Amendment: I add chlorine no more than daily, or with each use. If I'm in the tub 2x, (am+pm) I just add at night. If a day goes by I dont soak, I dont add any. I use the tub almost every day.

I'm using Defender weekly only b/c the bottle says so, and I have harder then average water (450-500). I'm open to any opinions, though!

Ahhh.  Yea, i wouldn't add dichlor more than once a day! (do you do it at night?)

on the defender, I add every other week based on an extreanly scientifc method....my dealer said so. I guessI should read the entire lable. ?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 12:56:57 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 12:43:56 pm »
I think you have things under control. ;)  

Stick with what works.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

anne

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 12:45:26 pm »

on the defender, I add every other week based on an extreanly scientifc method....my dealer said so. I guessI should read the entire lable. ?

or, your dealer may be right! The bottle may say weekly just so that I buy twice as much.....
:P

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 12:58:53 pm »

or, your dealer may be right! The bottle may say weekly just so that I buy twice as much.....
 :P

Best to follow manufacturer's recommendation.  Of course they want to sell product.  They also want to make product that works.  With your hard water, you will do best with the weekly dose.

Some people don't need a stain and scale product at all, but use it and feel good for the added protection (insurance) it gives them.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 12:58:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42