What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Leaving empty vs refilling?  (Read 3337 times)

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
Leaving empty vs refilling?
« on: April 14, 2006, 04:34:44 pm »
I will be away from home for several weeks right about the time my spa will need its first refill. This will be in the summer so the risk of cold temps is zero.

Are there any reasons to leave the spa full of water and running (probably at a very low temperature) while out of town vs dumping the water right before I leave, shutting off power and then refilling upon my return? That would seem to make the most sense economically but don't want to damage the spa.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Hot Tub Forum

Leaving empty vs refilling?
« on: April 14, 2006, 04:34:44 pm »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: Leaving empty vs refilling?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 04:36:55 pm »
any chance of having someone with some common sense come out and dose the tub with dichlor a couple times per week?
RIP C-Rod

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 04:41:18 pm »
any chance of having someone with some common sense come out and dose the tub with dichlor a couple times per week?

Not all that concerned about the water quality while gone as I have ozone and N2. But since I will likely be changing the water upon my return it seemed like it might be wise to empty it and shut it down until I return and save the cost of running it during that time.

Also would serve to motivate me to clean and refill it immediately when I get back it if is empty and I can't use it again until I do so!

Not to mention discouraging impromptu parties by the neighbors while gone...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 04:42:14 pm by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

hymbaw

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 05:01:02 pm »
I don't see any reason not to drain it. Be sure to take a shop vac and blow as much water out of the plumbing as you can. Upon your refill I'd give it a heavy shock to kill any critters that may have been living in the plumbing.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 05:17:16 pm »
I don't see any reason not to drain it. Be sure to take a shop vac and blow as much water out of the plumbing as you can. Upon your refill I'd give it a heavy shock to kill any critters that may have been living in the plumbing.

It depends on how long you'll be gone. You'd really have to clean it out well to avoid getting nasty water in the plumbing and I'm not sue this is always done properly. A total drain is really for times when the spa will go unused for a few months or more IMO. Either way will work as long as you care for it properly.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 07:30:39 pm »
I am about to go away for 3 weeks and was thinking of leaving the spa empty.  Would I be better off with it filled and using some kind of floater to dispense the sanitizer.  If so what kind of sanitizer can you use in a floater.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 07:41:36 pm »
Blowing the lines out might be a problem if there any seals in the pumps that could dry out.  Maybe there is a tech on the board who knows the right answer.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 10:10:35 pm »
I am about to go away for 3 weeks and was thinking of leaving the spa empty.  Would I be better off with it filled and using some kind of floater to dispense the sanitizer.  If so what kind of sanitizer can you use in a floater.

The only sanitizer that is OK with every manufacturer is bromine. Some manufacturers say it's OK to use trichlor but check with your dealer first.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 11:27:59 pm »

The only sanitizer that is OK with every manufacturer is bromine. Some manufacturers say it's OK to use trichlor but check with your dealer first.

Only bromine? Which one(s) has issue with using dichlor?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

anne

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 12:23:33 am »

Only bromine? Which one(s) has issue with using dichlor?

I think he was just referring to chlorine products available as floaters (trichlor).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 12:24:03 am by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

TubsAndCues

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 10:06:16 am »

Careful, I know Nordic won't allow the use of bromine in their tubs at all.  It will void all warranties for them.

As far as the drain or refill, you might as well drain it.  Clean out the inside when you get ready to refill it with some spa surface cleaner, refill and do like Hymbaw said, hit it with a heavy dose of dichlor when you get back.

good luck and have fun on your vacation!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 10:09:07 am by TubsAndCues »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 10:06:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42