What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbe question  (Read 2484 times)

joshua45

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Newbe question
« on: April 13, 2006, 05:16:03 pm »
I'm in the market for a hot tub... I had a hot tub before that I build (brought shell, pump, lights, filter etc. seperately and put together).. I used a regular household water heater (40 gal) and it did great.  

All spa's that I have seen come with 'electric' heaters... Is there any way of replumbing for gas (natural or propane)?  My old spa house water heater lastest AT LEAST 10 years before I sold it and relocated.  Was thinking of building another myself but with all the 'fancy' jets etc.. might just by a 'package' setup.  

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hot Tub Forum

Newbe question
« on: April 13, 2006, 05:16:03 pm »

Anoroc

Re: Newbe question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 05:50:09 pm »
Hmm? way over my head on this one.  I haven't heard of anyone here at least lately talinking about builiding their own tub.

Repost again if you don't get a response right away as there may someone lurking in the background that just may have the answers you need.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 05:50:42 pm »
my last spa was a gas heated spa - an older in ground job.
My new (old) spa is electric. Frankly, I like the electric better, because it always keeps the temp up, hence the spa is instantly ready for use. I've found myself using this one much more than the gas heated one.
The electric spas are also self contained units. Much easier than having to run gas lines.

My opinion.

joshua45

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 06:03:58 pm »
I'll be living 'in the country' anyway and running an extra propaine gas line is no big deal.. What I am thinking is that it seems that the average cost of heating with electric is between $40-$60/ month.  I'm guessing but I would think  that by using propane (a lot less expensive then electric).. I would be saving 30-40/ month.. Hell, in 5 years, thats a 2,500 savnigs.  Besides.. the gas heats SO MUCH FASTER then electric PLUS without the 'problems' associated with heating elements  going bad etc.  In my last spa, I had it set up on a 220 timer so that the hot tub was ready when I came home from work.. and I used it everyday....

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 06:11:06 pm »
I'll be living 'in the country' anyway and running an extra propaine gas line is no big deal.. What I am thinking is that it seems that the average cost of heating with electric is between $40-$60/ month.  I'm guessing but I would think  that by using propane (a lot less expensive then electric).. I would be saving 30-40/ month.. Hell, in 5 years, thats a 2,500 savnigs.  Besides.. the gas heats SO MUCH FASTER then electric PLUS without the 'problems' associated with heating elements  going bad etc.  In my last spa, I had it set up on a 220 timer so that the hot tub was ready when I came home from work.. and I used it everyday....

1) I don't see you saving the $$ you're assuming you can get. If you get a well insulated spa the power going to the heater heats the spa very efficiently and if it's the right spa it'll hold that temp well.

2) Even if you saw the savings you're hoping for you might want to redo the math on that because even at your hoped for #s you don't get to the $2500 amount you're coming up with.

If I were you I'd get a well insulated spa and see how it runs. I'd bet you don't end up running that gas line afterall.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 08:49:19 am »
Also, you'd be rolling the dice on energy costs.  
No way to know what the future holds for the prices of electricity, NG, propane, gasoline, etc....
What's true today might not be true in a year.  
What if after spending thousands of $$ to convert and setup your spa for propane, which as Spatech states, will likely cost you more than you think, the price of propane spikes up?  
I suspect you'd break even at best on this idea.  
I suspect stronger that you'd loose, but that's only my opinions.

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 08:49:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42