What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question on the newer electronic controls  (Read 3249 times)

Chuck_55

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Question on the newer electronic controls
« on: March 19, 2006, 02:22:24 pm »
Hey Guys
After looking at some of the new inovations
that Gecko and Balboa has gone to on there
electronics.
Could ya tell me why Jacuzzi and Sundance, HotSprings and a few of the others out there haven't stepped up the plate like they have on making it easier to trouble shoot your electronics and tub packs. Gecko has with there PDA's and Mini Spa Packs, Balboa plug in comp testers ?
( has anybody work on these systems).  
And are all these bells and whistles
as good as they say
they are? Or is this a sale Hype?

Thanks
Chuck  ???

Hot Tub Forum

Question on the newer electronic controls
« on: March 19, 2006, 02:22:24 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Question on the newer electronic controls
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 03:17:34 pm »
These features benefit the dealer more than the consumer.

I would like to say its just sales hype, but consider these factors.

1) The dealer has the potential to service you more quickly and accurately
2) It shows me that the manufacturer in question is using Balboa or Gecko's "A" line vs. a "B" or "C" line of controls.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Micah

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 03:47:31 pm »
Chuck,
I don't think it's hype, but I also dont think that a self diagnostic system should have anything to do with what spa you choose.  As far as why Jacuzzi and sundance haven't stepped up to the plate...Well they have been at the plate all along.  They have a system called the "watchdog" that gives te serviceman all the info he needs to troubleshoot the system.  You just have to know how to get into "watchdog Mode"  I'm sure that H.S. has a system as well.  
 Keep in mind that a computer diagnostic system can only give you the info that is fed into it.  So if the computer says that your spa is overheating, you still need an experianced repair tech to determine if it's a heater, hi limit, temp sensor or even a dirty filter.  As the owner of a company, I'll take the word of my greasy haired dirty shirt, butt crack showing repair guy over a self diagnostic computer any day
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 06:26:57 am »
As the owner of a company, I'll take the word of my greasy haired dirty shirt, butt crack showing repair guy over a self diagnostic computer any day.

Is this the guy you are talking about?

The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 07:36:37 am »
Well, Chuck got a very detailed answer on Doc's board from nloty who, as anyone who has seen over there, is an extremely well qualified independent tech who works on all and certified by most.  In my book, he carries a lot of credibility.  His answer not only backs up what Micah says, but goes beyond in explaining why he feels Sundance/Jacuzzi and Watkins are far ahead of Gecko and Balboa electroncis and have the best controllers in the business.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 10:46:56 am »
I'm sure that H.S. has a system as well.  

HS has a system. They use the Power light and the Ready light for self-diagnostics, and then there are three leds on the main circuit board for more detailed troubleshooting. It is a simple system, but it works great - I can fix most calls over the phone.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 10:55:02 am »
HS has a system. They use the Power light and the Ready light for self-diagnostics, and then there are three leds on the main circuit board for more detailed troubleshooting. It is a simple system, but it works great - I can fix most calls over the phone.

kinda like how the cars if you turn the key in a certain sequence you can tell by how many times the engine light blinks what the error code is?
07 Caldera Geneva

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 07:58:07 pm »
Self diagnostics is a bunch of crap.  A self diagnostic system may for example look for no input from the flow control with the pumps off and flow with the pumps on.  If the input stays on, it may signal a bad flow control, but the problem could be a pinched wire or a bad main board.  If the input stays off, it may signal low flow or a bad flow switch again, but it may be unpluged or a coroded wire.  We do have alarms and faults on the CNC machinery that I build and service, but when the operator has a phobia of pen and paper and can't tell you what the damn alarm is, it's no good anyhow.  Just last week I drove a half hour out to a call that tok me literally 10 seconds to fix, I pulled out the Emergency Stop on the hand control unit after the guy on the phone swore that it was not the issue when I returned his call.  The bottom line is that all of the tubs have probably got a decent troubleshooting system but nothing is foolproof.  The cheaper tubs might even have a better system because they have to rely on you to do the work for them.
Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 07:58:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42