What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Great Lakes unibody construction  (Read 2621 times)

fatman

Great Lakes unibody construction
« on: March 12, 2006, 06:37:17 pm »
Would like opinions on Great Lakes unibody construction method.  Is this just Great Lakes way of cutting costs or is it a superior method of building a hot tub?  From the brochure it looks like the molded/contoured base supports the shell so a frame is not needed. Could this possibly be the wave of the future or is it a poor idea?  Are 2x4's so expensive now that it's just better to forsake a frame and rely on other components for support?

Hot Tub Forum

Great Lakes unibody construction
« on: March 12, 2006, 06:37:17 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Great Lakes unibody construction
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 08:28:11 pm »
lol.....well....I think time will tell if its trend setting or another idea that tries and than fails..... ;)

hymbaw

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 04:43:58 pm »
Just to let you know up front, I sell them.

That being said, I think it's a pretty cool concept. They are only able to do it because of the shell material they use,(GELOY) it was developed by GE plastics and it is bonded to ABS. The combo is stronger than the traditional acrylic/fiberglass combo and they reverse mold the ABS bottom pan up to support the shell so they are able to go frame free.
Most Mfg. are seeking alternatives to the wood frames, maybe Great Lakes got ahead of the curve. From what I've seen of them they seem very solid but we won't know how that is in the real world for a little while.

P.S. The colors they offer in GELOY are sharp!!
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 06:12:56 pm »
I like the colors but I have heard that in the field they are not holding up as well you might hope...have you run into any problems with scratching and surface cracks this is what I have heard that is the biggest problems but as you said the colors look great......

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 06:12:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42