What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: overheating  (Read 4538 times)

anne

overheating
« on: March 05, 2006, 03:59:21 pm »
 Should I be concerned?

I read (somewhere else) that Arctic's "heatlock" system is BAD if you live in a warm climate- that the components can overheat. More specifically, that the heat will lead to premature failure of components. The context was such that I dont necessarily trust the info, but was hoping for confirmation not to worry....

A counter argument stated that the above was NOT true, as the components were all rated to withstand up to 150F.

I live in Sacramento, CA. It does get to 100F easily in the summer. I assume that my heater will just be off at that point, but I dont know how warm the cabinet will be.  

Kinda too late now, as the tub is purchased, but do I need to do anything to protect my tub from the heat?

thanks!

Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

overheating
« on: March 05, 2006, 03:59:21 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: overheating
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 04:24:50 pm »
I don't think you need to worry. I'm sure their tubs are all over in hot climates also.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 04:27:01 pm »
Don't worry about it.  Ask your dealer for suggestions on this topic for what to do during hot spells.  Your heater won't come on if your water stays at the set temperature.  But your pumps still need to run to filter the water and when you use the spa.  And it's the heat from those pumps running that generates the controversey- their heat gets trapped inside the sealed cabinet.  Good or bad?  Hard to say for sure.
One suggestion would be to reduce the filter run times during the hottest days to the bare minimum to keep your water clean.  But Artic obviously sells spas in your climate, so I see that as a good sign.  
Brewman

meriflower

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 05:07:24 pm »
We don't have an Arctic but when we shopped spas the Arctic dealer here told us that they have 2 sets of doors for the front of the cabinet, one set fully insulated for winter the other has screens or vents for  summer.  That was a couple of years ago, don't know if that is still an option or not.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 05:59:03 pm »
anne, arctic does have cedar doors that are vents.  the work at taking the heat out of the cabinet for you if you have overheating issues.  you should be fine though

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 08:08:34 pm »
Meriflower, Arctic still does have the two sets of doors. If I owned one I would tap into a 110 circuit inside the cabinet and wire in a small fan Like you would find in a computer cabinet. It wouldn't take much of a fan. I did this very thing to my stereo cabinet because of overheating when the door was closed. This was all it took to cool the unit.  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 08:09:21 pm by galen »

anne

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 05:00:26 am »
thanks, everyone! Did not know about vented doors. I'll talk to my dealer if he thinks that is an issue around here. Hope not- sounds like a little pain, but good to know it is an option.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 05:00:26 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42