What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Gazebo  (Read 3650 times)

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
Spa Gazebo
« on: February 25, 2006, 10:09:28 pm »
We are considering a spa gazebo to keep the snow and ice off the cover.  Does anyone have any favorites, pictures or advice?
If I could just chew through these restraints...

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Gazebo
« on: February 25, 2006, 10:09:28 pm »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: Spa Gazebo
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 07:57:04 am »
something to keep snow and ice off would be a substantial structure...if you're a DIY'er, or know someone who IS, you might shop for some plans to build one that's to your liking.....otherwise, if I'm not mistaken, the cheapest I've seen the permanent structures is a few thousand dollars......if this isn't what you meant, I apologize, but I'm assuming permanent due to the holding up under snow/ice comment...
I've checked the old posts on here, and found some WONDERFUL additions to homes that look like they'd hold up under anything you'd need them to.
Good luck on finding what you're looking for!
RIP C-Rod

loneoak

• Perception is more important than reality
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 10:05:34 am »
Why would you want to do that?  If there is a "roof" over the hot tub, you cannot see the stars or the planes going by.  

Cleaning off the cover is never a big issue with us.  Keeping the rain or snow off our heads is as simple as wearing a Tilley hat.

Before we got our hot tub, we considered covering up.  Now we wouldn't dream of it.

Astrid.  (from the Ottawa, ON area).

tootsie

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 10:49:14 am »
I found this sight when looking. http://www.backyardking.com/

The one thing I would check on if ordering one of these or building my own would be the load rate for the roof if you are in a snowy area.

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 10:57:17 am »
The best way I have found to deal with snow and ice on the cover is a tarp.  I only put it on the tub when the forecast has precipitation.  I weigh it down with a couple small 2x6's and the cover lifter bar. After it snows, I just slide the tarp off with the snow and all and it's ready to go. If it's a lot of heavy snow, I'll take the shop broom and pull some of the snow off first.
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 12:13:16 pm »
Everybody has different opinions on enclosures or having the tub open to the stars.

Well, living in Michigan there is only one way to go IMHO and that is a gazebo or enclosure.

I could not imagine enjoying my spa a fraction as much as I do without walking inside my gazebo and being protected from the howling wind and sleet.

I owe this forum a complete review on a Cal Spa Cal Select gazebo I purchased and built.

I will provide that review in the near future now that I have had it 6 months and through the changing seasons.

However, the short answer is I would not consider having my tub exposed to the elements unless I lived in a warm southern climate.

Plus with all my windows open I get a great outdoor experince.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 12:14:11 pm by drober30 »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 12:44:29 pm »
GoBlue, My hubby and I have gone around and around with this since before we got our tub.  Once we found out how awsome the night sky is, even in the winter, we decided there was no way we would permantly cover the tub with a solid roof. Like Loneoak, we have learned to appreciate the stars.  Watching a meteor shower on a clear, cold night, surrounded by snow is a really special experience.  As far as the snow on the cover, we have a rubber broom, squeegy thing (as seen on TV ) and it is great for removing the snow and not damaging our cover. My concern is the summer sun beating on my tub cover.  SSBraun has a real nice pergola and I would like to adapt his idea. He also added glass surround to protect him from the wind. I want to construct my pergola so that I can fashon a canvas top to roll down during the day in the summer, and roll back up if I want to at night.

Support your dealer so they can support you!

Tubaholic

• HS Grandee Indoors
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 12:47:02 pm »
GoBlue:
As I also live in a cold /snowy part of the country my wife insisted on having the tub indoors. Also when the state bird , the mosquito, is out in force we are still able to enjoy tubbin. We are able to use our tub 24/7  365 if we want.
 If you didnt see my post last week  here is a link to some pictures
http://photobucket.com/albums/e195/Tubaholic/Hot%20Tub%20Room/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 12:53:11 pm by Tubaholic »

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 12:54:32 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I'm learning a lot.  We still haven't made up out mind yet.  

Pros:
Protection from ice, sleet, wind during the winter

Cons:
The other 9 months of not being able to enjoy the stars, blue sky and general outside experience

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 11:00:48 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I'm learning a lot.  We still haven't made up out mind yet.  

Pros:
Protection from ice, sleet, wind during the winter

Cons:
The other 9 months of not being able to enjoy the stars, blue sky and general outside experience

What part of Michigan do you live in that only gets 3 months of winter?  :)

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 11:55:19 pm »
Now that you mention it... More like 5 months...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 02:28:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42