What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: spa umbrella for $100 + S&H?  (Read 5773 times)

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
spa umbrella for $100 + S&H?
« on: February 24, 2006, 09:14:39 am »
I've been digging thru old posts and saw that orlandoguy had purchased one of these (or something similar) awhile back....any thoughts on how well it actually works, quality of construction, etc? I'm considering a LOT of different ideas at this point, just trying to pin something down to keep those little "helicopters" from landing in the tub in fall....http://heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?product=natural-hanging-umbrella&PIN=21189&GUID=39F5E6BC-8964-4526-8FBC-8F3A94670488&BC=S&DL=SEH3#
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

spa umbrella for $100 + S&H?
« on: February 24, 2006, 09:14:39 am »

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
Re: spa umbrella for $100 + S&H?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 09:24:02 am »
I love mine and it covers a lot of space and allows me to sit in the tub during blazing sunny days in Florida.

It was really easy to assemble but you need to weight the base down.  They reccomend sand bags but they are ugly.  I put flat patio blocks around the lip of the base (notice the "T" shaped bar in the picure)  and it works great.  

If I could figure out the whole picture posting thing without it taking too much of my time, I would post a pic of my setup.  I put some planters on the patio blocks and it looks pretty good.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 09:25:53 am by orlandoguy »

cappykat

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 10:36:15 am »
I use www.imageshack.us to host my pics.  It will tell you how to upload and then give you the code.  Once you have the code you just copy/paste that in your post here.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:37:40 am by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 10:50:43 am »
I use Photobucket to store pictures and from there the HTML code is listed under every picture to copy and paste into a post.

In the spring and fall to prevent stuff from falling on my cover and staining it I took 2 fitted sheets (brown in color but this can be your choice) and had the little woman cut them in a little over half and sew them back together to make a tight fitting linen cover that slips over the hard cover for a protective barrier. When you flip the cover open it stays with for the ride and with minumal adjustment goes right back into place when you close. I store it through the winter and summer, it dries quickly after a rain or can be hung up. I only use it when stuff is falling from trees. I have never had a problem during a soak unless it's particularily windy or it's a long drinking soak with friends.

Just a though.
Retired

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 10:53:27 am »
They are nice although I am not sure it is "the most magnificent patio canopy available" as the ad suggests.  ;)

I have one of that syle although it is much heavier in construction, tilts and turns a variety of directions and has a built in lighting system. The umbrella is made of the "sunbrella" fabric and is a lovely burgundy that hopefully will hold up over time. I use it for my table on the deck (the spa will be on the concrete pad under the deck if I can ever get the underdeck roof finished so I don't need it there). It even comes with an optional mosquito netting that is a great edition in the summer. Of course it also cost significantly more unfortunately.

Weighting the base is an absolute must or it will come crashing down on your head in a light breeze. My base can be either a typical cross as shown in the picture or a symmetrical (maltese) cross configuration and I used 4 16" concrete tiles from home depot to hold it in place. It has worked well. And makes a nice edition to the deck.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 11:18:56 am »
I bought the light cable at Lowes for 10 bucks and attached it to the poles, so my toatl cost is now $110.  No tilt though.  The comparable ones I have seen are around $500.

hymbaw

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 12:33:47 pm »
We carry an umbrella by Leisure Concepts. Looks to be of heartier stock than the first one posted, uses Sunbrella fabric, and the weight of the tub holds it in place. They run $499.

http://www.leisureconcepts.com/spaUmbrella.html

You should be able to find a dealer in your area, if not contact me and I'll see what I can do to help.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 12:37:33 pm »
From the look of it, that umbrella comes from Southern Patio. I would look closely at the various models they offer: they sell high and low quality.

The better umbrellas have a crank mechanism, tilt, double top or cupola, and they generally offer �A� grade fabric rather than a much lesser cloth.

Buy one for $500 or buy and replace it five times for $100 each, plus shipping.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 01:26:53 pm »
my HS dealer carries what I THINK he said to be the HS brand umbrella......or what they stand behind...anyhow, it's about $400, and looks GREAT.....I was just wondering what's available that wouldn't add $400 onto the already large price of the tub....however, I MAY be able to get a "deal" on it, if I ask him. Hmmm...
RIP C-Rod

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 03:17:18 pm »
I purchased an offset umbrella with a weighted base from Lowes.  The base opens up and you can add water to a bag inside the base to weight it down.  I got it for under $200.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 03:59:31 pm »
I had one of the $500 umbrellas on my deck at the store.  Forgot to crank it down, a storm came up, snapped the plastic arm, and I threw that sucker in the trash.  Got a $100 umbrella from Target, forgot to crank it down, wind tore it to pieces.  If you get any umbrella, be sure to lower it every time you're not using it.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 04:07:34 pm »
I had one of the $500 umbrellas on my deck at the store.  Forgot to crank it down, a storm came up, snapped the plastic arm, and I threw that sucker in the trash.  Got a $100 umbrella from Target, forgot to crank it down, wind tore it to pieces.  If you get any umbrella, be sure to lower it every time you're not using it.

Terminator

This is why I am inclined to consider  the cheaper $100 umbrella. (Asumingit doesn't look cheesey)  It can break and be replaced 6 times before the higher end unit shows value.

Kinda like my pool cover; they had 2 for sale. 1 with a 5 year gurantee for $50 and the other with a 10 year gurantee for $100.  Identical in function and looks.  Which would you buy?

Or the replacement windows I just put on my house.  The high end units were 5 x the cost of the standard units.  The salesman tried to tell me that the ones I bought would only last 15 years. While his would last 50.   I bought the standard.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 04:13:49 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 05:17:02 pm »
okay, I stand corrected.......hymbaw's link to leisure concepts umbrella is the one they have at the dealer....looks very nice, I just don't think I want to spend $400 or more on an umbrella yet...and I KNOW someone here (maybe even ME) will forget to put that sucker down when we get a storm, and POOF! Out the money.... *sigh*
RIP C-Rod

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 05:31:11 pm »
This is why I am inclined to consider  the cheaper $100 umbrella. (Asumingit doesn't look cheesey)  It can break and be replaced 6 times before the higher end unit shows value.

I'm sure not disagreeing with you, but if you buy the better unit and fold it up and cover it when not in use, it will outlast your vinyl windows.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 05:31:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42