What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: (HELP!!)Should I Buy Used Cal Spa??????  (Read 15496 times)

mothergoose45

(HELP!!)Should I Buy Used Cal Spa??????
« on: February 21, 2006, 02:34:31 pm »
I read on forums that Cal spa is bad, but does anyone like their cal spa?  Has anyone had good luck with them?  Im asking b/c I can but a 2001 96x96 Cal Spa used for $2000.  It only has 25 jets but thats fine with me for starting out. It is owned by an older couple and has always been kept inside in a sunroom(whic is a plus).  It looks brand new.  I dont want to spend 6000+ for a spa.  Would you guys think I can go wrong with this spa?  Also does Cal Spa transfer their spa to a second owner?  This is a large spa that has been very well taken care of.  
Should I go for it?   Thanks for the help.

Hot Tub Forum

(HELP!!)Should I Buy Used Cal Spa??????
« on: February 21, 2006, 02:34:31 pm »

socal

• so it begins
Re: (HELP!!)Should I Buy Used Cal Spa??????
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 03:08:07 pm »
some have had good luck with cal....others have not. if you want, you can search them in the site and see whats been said.
is the spa running now? if not, ask if you could see it running, maybe even talk your way into testing it out. i would highly recommend it. might seem trivial, but you wont know what you are getting into w/o seeing it opporate.
as far as the warrenty goes, no they do not transfer to a 2nd owner.
if the spa is in good working condition...it could very well be a good "starter" for you.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 03:08:35 pm by socal »
Marquis dealer

mothergoose45

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:42:16 pm »
Thanks so cal.  The spa was working fine when i went to look at it.  Both pumps operated as well as all of the controls.  It is full so I guess that means there isn't any leaks.  I am going back tomm. to look inside the unit and give him a deposit if everyhting looks well.  The way I look at it is, as long as its a decent spa I dont think I can go wrong for $2000, even if a pump goes out along the way.  Also it has a light that says "Ozone" on it.  What does that mean?  What do I need to look for when I go back tomm for the last look?  Thanks for the help.

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 03:57:10 pm »
Don't know what it costs to move a spa but you have to figure that into your cost. If it is still in good shape might still be good deal but will certainly add something to the cost as most dealers will likely deliver a new spa.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 04:06:04 pm »
i would play with the controls. turn the pumps on. see how quiet it is. ask about their electric bill. after 5+ years it would be difficult to know the cost of running it but it could give you a little insight.
i would open the equipment panel, take a peek inside. since it was in a sun room, critters are probably not an issue...but it would hurt to look. also, you will see if it is fully foamed or not. depending where you are located and where the tub will be placed, full foam will help insulate the tub.
ozone helps maintain water chemistry. now a days, just about every spa has it standard or packaged in ( last year Marquis had it as an opition with their constantclean system). the light indicates that the unit was in a cycle. being 5+ years old, it might be near time to replace it.
also, see if they will throw in the disconnect. will save $100 if you went to lowes/home depot....more if the electrician gets it for you.
a few people have gotten a used spa in here and they are very happy with them. for me, i would still ask to test the tub. but if you dont, do as much talking around the tub while its running. just in case there is an issue (however slight) such as over heating and it shutting down.

hope this helped, good luck and congrats, you are about to be in hot water (im pulling for ya)
Marquis dealer

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 04:10:41 pm »
I can't coment on the brand itself or price but...

The illuminated ozone icon indicates that there is an ozone system connected to the tub. There are  2 types of ozone systems: UV (uses a UV light bulb) and CD: uses a spark plub type doo hickey.  The ozone unit if UV may need a new bulb.  CD units also don't last forever. Ask was this a factory installed unit?  Did they ever replace the bulbs?

as far as checking out the tub, some of the things I'd look at are:

Open up the equipment bay and look for moisture and inspect the unions and plumbing. Look for signs of leaks rodents, decaying joints and hoses.  Since this was an inside tub, the equipment are should be spic and span.

Make sure all the jets are working. Work all the jets and diverters.  Run the pumps at all speeds. lsten for nosiey pumps, excessive vibration, strange sounds, etc.

Take a good look at any pillows. These might be in need of repair.

Look for blemishes in the shell and repairs to any cracks.

Take a good look at the exterior cabinet, the cover, lifter and steps.

Inpsect the filters. It maybe a good idea to figure in purchasing new filters.

I'd also take a look at how to get in and out of the house.

Don't forget to ask about the electrical box  (who will do the disconect?) Are the box, breakers and wire whip included?

Ask about supplies and other freebies they might have laying around.  (vacs, chems, test kits, manuals) etc.

Can they give yo uany history on the tub? When it was bought, how much paid, any repair work, why are the selling....
Are they going to let you wet test?
Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 04:16:30 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

mothergoose45

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 04:18:42 pm »
I will be moving it myself with a large trailer.  Actually I just helped move my brothers to his new home an hour ago.  Ironic.  Socal thanks for the info.  I dont really know how loud the motors should be.  What should the foam inside look like? When I was there the other day it ran for 5 or so minutes and it sounded normal to me.  I messed with all of the buttons and they seemed to work well also.  There is only one button for the jets.  Push once turns the 1st pump on, push twice and the 2nd one comes on.  So you think I should replace the ozonator?  Wonder what that runs.  The thing I like is the spa (cosmetically) is in brand new shape(besides the pillows which is no biggie, will replace) and the cabinet looks perfect.  I dont mean to ask all these questions but want to get some opinions.  Anything else you guys can think of checking or asking before I buy this would be a big help.   Thanks

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 04:27:48 pm »
when the equipment bay is open, if you see hoses hanging its partial foam.
drew (as usual) makes some good (ummm better) suggestions on what to look for as well. you could always print this out and take it with you so you dont forget anything on this growing list we are making for you  ;D
youre welcome for the help. but not nessicary to thank me. like alot of people on here, i just want to help people get in some hot water  ;)
as far as the ozone goes....like drew mentioned, if it has not been replaced before you probably would want to. here is the cal website. it has dealer locator and a parts page. http://www.calspas.com/. or 1-800-cal-spas. dont know if they will sell you parts or direct you to a dealer, but its worth a try.
if the owners do not have a manual, should be able to get one through the 800#.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 04:34:16 pm by socal »
Marquis dealer

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 04:31:58 pm »
Sounds like it only has one 2 speed pump. I would offer them 1500 then you got a good deal if everything works.
Retired

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 04:36:54 pm »
good point Tman.....is it a 1 pump model?? 96x96 seems too big for only 1 pump. again, that mystery will be solved by looking inside the equipment bay.
Marquis dealer

mothergoose45

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 04:45:42 pm »
He told me it had two pumps.  One on each side.  What will they look like(i dont know, this will be my first tub)?
I also thought it would have buttons such as Jet1 and Jet 2, but it only has the one button.  mmmm.  I guess I will find out tomm.  a 8x8 tub with one pump wouldnt be right, i wouldnt think.  I will be able to look at the owners manual tomm night as well.  If it is a 1 pump tub, should i even consider(being 8x8) buying it?

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 05:21:41 pm »
instead of trying to describe...which i started to due lol....lets do it this way.

http://www.calspas.com/parts/index~catalog~Pumps.htm

its a link to the type of pumps cal uses. as far as should you get it if its only 1 pump.....honestly, its an individual choice. granted, its a large spa. but there are only 25 jets from what you mentioned. i would consider it, but would have to wet test.

hope that helps

socal
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 05:26:46 pm by socal »
Marquis dealer

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 05:44:06 pm »
Is it still hooked up so you can check it out?  I have a friend with a 2000 Cal spa that he is still happy with. Its a low end one.   This is a lot of spa for a little money. If it is operating, it probably is a deal.  As Ronald Reagan said, "TRUST BUT VERIFY"
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 06:27:09 pm »
I read on forums that Cal spa is bad, but does anyone like their cal spa?  

The big knock against Cal Saps is how well the back their product (or don't back it). However, in your case that is pretty much irrelevent as it will not be under warranty. Getting a used spa isn't a bad idea but I would look into where teh enarest dealer is so you'll know parts are available if/when needed 9and who would be available to service it when issues arise). Good luck.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

mothergoose45

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 06:31:48 pm »
Ok.  I called the couple selling it.  The pump is a 6 HP Dually pump.  Made by GE.  I called Cal spas and they told me this.  The dually pump is actually two pumps running on one motor.  So it has two pumps, but they run on one motor.  To me that is a good thing for operating costs.  I called a couple of Cal dealers around here and told them I was looking at a used Cal spa(so their opinion wouldnt be as bias, to get me to buy one from them).  I asked them about the Dually and both dealers said it is a good one.  They said it is like two pumps but saves money since it doesnt draw as many amps.  One told me they sell 1/3 of the spas with the dually and one hasnt had to be serviced yet.  They said 2 pumps would put out a little bit more, but it is alot more powerful than having one pump.  And it does only have 25 jets.  It looked to me like it put out some force when I turned it on.  What do you guys think?  It sounds like it might be a good buy.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 06:31:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42