What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: had to dig for any 'real' info on GL spas...  (Read 3013 times)

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
had to dig for any 'real' info on GL spas...
« on: February 13, 2006, 02:11:48 pm »
this post goes back to October 2005:
GL has always been known as a "Value" Spa. That is not to say anything bad against the brand. Even GL advertises their spa as value priced product. They retail from $2999-5999. with an assortmant of small to midsize spas priced in the $4000-5000 range. They manufacture an affordable spa for people not seeking to spend $6-12,000 and not try to go up against the big 10. GL is traditonally carried as a second line for a lot of spa dealers, since they only offer spas in the low to mid price category. They offer just 8 models. Not alot of options, just color upgrades, LED Lighting and Stereo. Only two models have 2 pumps, while the other six models only have one pump. Five models are standard equipped with a air blower, which is not through a air channel, but only as a turbo, to increase jet pressure. The model blower they have chosen is not a good one, it is truly the loudest shreaking air blower, I have ever heard. When the turbo is turned on, in many cases water will spit from the air control knobs.They have no stainlees steel escutcheons, just grey plastic. The spa is not full foamed, but it is foamed adequately, about 4 inches around the shell and plumbing, nothing on the cabinet or floor. They are equipped with Balboa Controls and Starite Pumps, both quality products. Their acrylic shells are supplied by GE,the product name for the acrylic is called Geloy. All of the GE shell colors are solid colors, while they also have granite colors from Dupont. The warranty is on the value side, just 2 years parts and labor on equipment and plumbing. The cabinet has fully removable plain looking panels, made of resin, a little flimsy when removing, but fairly attractive. Total number of jets range from 19-34 on the 1 pump models to 67 for the larger 2 pump model. They experienced some quality control problems in the summer months of 2004, with leaks, when they went through some management changes in front office and production department. Up to last year they were glueing the clear flexible tubing to the 3/4" barbed manifolds, with clear medium bodied glue.Some spas had leaks that took place on the barbs, where glue did not hold or was not covered.  They changed production in January 2005, and now use hose clamps on all barb fittings, instead of glueing and that has corrected the leak problems. Overall, a decent spa though, not a Hot Springs, but a heck of a lot better than any internet or mass merchant spa, in the same price range.

There's so much info available on the "top 10 tubs", but since I'm not buying one of those, I need to dig DEEP to find the little I have so far.....many hours (and 42 pages)  into my search I've found this... I don't need all the goodies, I would like a few extras with a GOOD, SOLID product....Thanks, NJDave for posting that (yeah, yeah, I'm late on the draw again...)
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

had to dig for any 'real' info on GL spas...
« on: February 13, 2006, 02:11:48 pm »

Tatooed_Lady

Re: had to dig for any 'real' info on GL spas...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 01:11:16 pm »
Tman122, it took me this long to realize that you might think of this as a dig toward you.....NOT SO!! I appreciate your info and advice on the GL lineup, but I'm so paranoid about the purchase that I'm trying to dig up all the info I can, so I can sit back and relax in spaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-topian comfort when it gets here.  Hope you didn't misinterpret my subject title....
RIP C-Rod

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 07:51:07 pm »
Hi Tatooed Lady,
Your welcome. Wow. You had  to go all the back to October to find a GL Post and it was my post. Nothing agaisnt GL, they are a smaller family owned company, so they don't get the press or exposure of the big guys. They can usually be found in the Mid West and NorthEast. Feel free to contact me with any other questions pertaining to this brand. If I remember correctly, you already purchased a GL recently and are waiting for delivery. You can put your mind at ease, relax and prepare to sit back in your new hot tub. I think you will really like the spa. Let us know when you are in hot water, the good kind. Dave.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 09:05:50 pm »
We ordered 10 of them in june, still have one, won't order again....

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 08:07:09 am »
ordered 10, sold 9, stuck with 1 right now....won't order because they haven't sold as opposed to your other lineup....or there've been problems from the get-go that have kept them from selling?
RIP C-Rod

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 12:52:25 pm »
All of them that we brought in had siding either broken at shipping or when we delivered them. We had jet leaks and complaints about scratches in the G-loy. In addition to this most of the customers haven't been happy with the jet performance. We also replaced 2 topside controls.

As a whole we are used to much more reliability and durability with the D1 and Marquis lines. We brought GLakes on as price point with a lot of sex appeal and feature but found that most people preferred either the Marquis Hideaway, EveryDay or even the D1 @home Cove for seating, performance and warranty in the same price ranges.

Their new line looks cool but can't compare to some of the other brands out there for the price.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 12:52:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42