What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone have/know of a good towel tree?  (Read 5608 times)

Brookenstein

Anyone have/know of a good towel tree?
« on: December 27, 2005, 05:14:41 pm »
I'm trying to find a good towel tree that isn't terribly expensive.  I need something with a solid base as it will be on grass or possibly on a brick stepping stone or crushed rock if I pull up the sod where it is.  I've seen some ugly cheap white ones and don't care for those.  I know in the summer time I've seen some at Target in redwood color, but haven't been able to find anything now.  Overstock has a chome one or about $60 that says it is weather resistant, but I'm still nervous about putting it outdoors.

Any ideas?

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone have/know of a good towel tree?
« on: December 27, 2005, 05:14:41 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Anyone have/know of a good towel tree?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 05:56:43 pm »
Go to your local welding shop and have them weld one together for you. Then clean it all up and spray clear coat on it. I made my own out of pipe and big bolts and it's heavy, but I have a welder.
Retired

salesdvl

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 06:24:56 pm »
We used to sell one that was white PVC and stuck into a weighted base.  To make it more stable tho, I would put it in a cheap umbrella base.
Measure once, cut twice.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 06:32:16 pm »
We use Sheperd's hooks available at any home/garden store. They weather the elements pretty well.  If you get them at Lowe's lookk for ones made in the US, not the ones they sell from China.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

jdheffer

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 07:16:49 pm »
I'm trying to find a good towel tree that isn't terribly expensive.  I need something with a solid base as it will be on grass or possibly on a brick stepping stone or crushed rock if I pull up the sod where it is.  I've seen some ugly cheap white ones and don't care for those.  I know in the summer time I've seen some at Target in redwood color, but haven't been able to find anything now.  Overstock has a chome one or about $60 that says it is weather resistant, but I'm still nervous about putting it outdoors.

Any ideas?

I've been looking all over the net today for the same thing.  The one on overstock is the nicest one I have found for a reasonable price.  There are plenty of the white ones made from plastic, but I don't like the look.   There is an outdoor metal spa tree that is okay, it is on a number of sites, including hot springs.  It is pretty plain though and doesn't really have a base.

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 07:30:50 pm »
 Here's a nice looking, sturdy, yet inexpensive option 1- 4"x4"x10' pressure treated ($10.00), 4 large robe hooks ($16.00), 1 bag of quickrete to set in ground ($3.00), finial to finish the top of the post ($8.00) and as an option if you don't want to dig a hole to sink the post into you can buy a 6' section of 2"x6" and cut it into 4 18" pieces which can be attached to each side of the bottom of the post to make legs kind of like a hall tree.  Of course if you go the "legs" route you might want to get a shorter 4x4 and you can also round the end of the legs with a jigsaw so they're a little more decorative.

This is a great set up because you can stain it to match your tub or anything else and with your choice of robe hook finishes and sizes you can make it as personal as you want to your tastes.  Total cost less than $40.00 and shouldn't take you more than a few hours to do....even if you know nothing about wood working.

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 07:32:51 pm »
We sell one from 'Hanamint' furnitur. It is about $180 or so, which isn't exactly cheap - however it is aluminum with a baked finish, so rust will not be an issue. It has a big cast iron disk hidden inside the base, so blowing around won't be an issue. I comes in several colors.

Here is an image of it and a few other items from the same company. Not a very good picture I'm afraid. It is over 50" tall, and the base is pretty big. The picture makes it look tiny.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 08:51:35 pm »
I bought an unfinished coat rack from an unfinished wood furniture store for about $20.  I primed and painted it with a couple of coats of my outdoor trip paint and it works perfectly.  I've got is sitting right next to the steps getting in/out.

Ken
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 09:32:35 pm »
I bought ours from Frontgate. The cost was $195 but it is solid as a rock. We got ours in the bronze finish. It also comes in white. It weighs 23lbs and is all-weather constructed. If you do a search you can find it. It may be a little pricey but it will last eternity.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 10:05:50 pm »
My hobby is woodworking and I will make a towel tree to match the steps.  The tub surround is medium gray so I will paint them to match.  I am planning to use ash since I have about 1000 board feet cured in a rack in my shop.

Of all the ones I have seen, I like Docs the best.  It follows the KISS (keep it simple stupid ::) ) theory pretty well.  I intend to use his as a basis to make mine, but I will try to make it a little less "clunky" since it will be indoors.  The design he has would be good outdoors.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 12:32:40 am »
Arctic sells a cedar robe tree, for I believe under $100.  I can't recall the exact price because it was included in the negotiation.  It works for us.  You can see it in this pic.  It has four hooks.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 12:37:00 am by rexspent »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 08:50:34 am »
I purchased the white PVC one for our pool. It broke by the end of the season.   I can't recomoned it.

My wife picked up the redwood one from Target  and it seems to have held up well and is made a bit better than the plastic one.

It's great for dry,  FOLDED  towels. Wet towels are a bit different. The poles are not long enough for a wet towel to be hung out and dry.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 10:49:50 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 11:08:46 am »
There is alot to consider when purchasing a towel tree.  First off is it made for the outdoors. Secondly, will it be heavy enough to withstand high winds. Thirdly, does it have enough hooks to accommodate the amount of towels you will be using during each soak. Also, appearence, price, warranty also play a part.  I mean if I am spending a few hundred bucks on a towel tree, I want piece of mind from a warranty and a company that will back it up. In my opinion, I would  not purchase one over the internet, unless, I had seen one that someone had already purchased. Getting out there and finding one that is best for you and your family is reallly the best way. Good luck in your search!!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 12:37:03 pm »
Very nice Payton.  Do you think you can hang a robe on this without it hitting the ground?

http://www.frontgate.com/fg/pdp.jsp?prod_oid=3834287&showarrow=y&search=y&cursor=0

I bought ours from Frontgate. The cost was $195 but it is solid as a rock. We got ours in the bronze finish. It also comes in white. It weighs 23lbs and is all-weather constructed. If you do a search you can find it. It may be a little pricey but it will last eternity.

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 12:48:55 pm »
As Chas was stating, a cast alluminum towel tree might be the way to go. Won't rust and heavy enough to withstand the elements.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 12:48:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42