What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for the HS experts  (Read 4181 times)

iggythewetcat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Question for the HS experts
« on: January 07, 2006, 11:20:34 am »
I have a simple question about my Jetsetter. My favorite part about hot tubing is when I first get in the hot water, sit in the lounge seat, and get the top and bottom treatment. However it kind of bugs me that there is only one foot jet. I'm blessed to have two feet that must compete for the treatment. Do you have idea why HS doesn't put two foot jets in this tub? How much more could it cost? It's not like they give these things away.

Hot Tub Forum

Question for the HS experts
« on: January 07, 2006, 11:20:34 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Question for the HS experts
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 11:59:02 am »
The impetus behind this design was to create a powerful and effective jet to not only massage the bottom of your feet, but all the way up towards your calves.  Instead of two smaller bullet jets like some employ, it was determined that one single oversized jet would be more effective.

If you were to put two Jetstream Jets side-by-side, two negatives would occur:

1 The diameter of the jets are so large that they would have to be widely separated.  This would force the legs apart and put stress on the knees and hips, something that is the polar opposite of the spa's purpose and

2 Since some customer's tend to be more buoyant than others, the force of two Jetstream Jets would only exacerbate this problem and could very well lead to a forcible ejection from the lounge, perhaps even the spa itself.

Hope this answers your questions and I'm glad you enjoy your spa! :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 12:40:42 pm »
I have a simple question about my Jetsetter. My favorite part about hot tubing is when I first get in the hot water, sit in the lounge seat, and get the top and bottom treatment. However it kind of bugs me that there is only one foot jet. I'm blessed to have two feet that must compete for the treatment. Do you have idea why HS doesn't put two foot jets in this tub? How much more could it cost? It's not like they give these things away.

Iggy, first I will admit, I am not a HS expert, and tx gives a good explanation, I am not to sure I buy the powerful force concept and the increased potential of physical stress, but it does come down to gallons per minute.  BTW, don't your jet faces rotate to vary the gpm water flow like most other spas do?

Well at any rate, each jet has a volumn capacity in which it can pass x gallons of water per minute and many will be variable flow reducing the flow to x-95%of x.  Simply multiply the number of jets being supplied and that dictates the total gpm required from the pump for maximum performance.

I do represent a manufacturer that did the same thing until they got feed back from the field.  While the engineers felt "a" foot jet was adequate, both consumer and dealers pointed out that 99% of the shopper had two feet as you point out.  They eventually opted to include the second jet and it made the spa more attractive to the buyer.  Possibly HS feels the cost increase or the consumer demand does not dictate their need to consider such changes.

Amazingly enough, many manufacturers have found more jets that require more hp/gpm, which cost more money oddly enough show an increase in unit sales.

I think you have a very good and reliable product, and maybe tx's explanation makes some common sense to you, but life is full of changes and this too may change in the future. ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 12:47:03 pm by J._McD »

iggythewetcat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 01:55:36 pm »
Term and J thanks for your thoughtful explanations. Term has a point, it is a small tub and perhaps two powerful jets would not make sense. While two smaller ones would work for me (I'm 6') they would not be as effective for my 5'4" wife whose legs wouldn't be long enough to reach lower powered jets. With that said I agree with J that what people want to buy is not necessarily what works best. I'm a rep for a major camera manufacture and that's the case in the photo business as well. How about two smaller jets that can be pulled out to accommodate shorter people?
Term: Is the collar suppose to turn on the foot jet? I've tried with no luck. I could perhaps use more force, but was afraid of breaking something.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 04:03:05 pm »
Yes sir, Mr. WetCat, it simply unscrews for disassembly.  You won't break it.  Of the 3 Comfort Control levers beside the lounge, the closest one to the foot jet controls it's pressure.

Terminator  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 04:03:43 pm by East_TX_Spa »

Anoroc

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 05:17:40 pm »
Hey Iggythewetcat- I have a jetsetter too.  I really like my spa and I think two foot jets would have been great.

I am not crazy about the soothing sevens seat and I never sit there.  I sort of feel as if that seat was waisted.

Have you tried putting another rotatiion jet below the one next to the moto massage seat?  I haven't but I have been thinking of it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 09:17:07 pm by anaroc »

salesdvl

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 10:07:15 am »
Here's a completely different take on the question.  Many years ago I had the opportunity to have dinner with the President of Watkins and we were talking about the Hot Spring line and asked him why they didnt make the Prodigy snazzier, add the Moto etc..  His response was that it was purposely designed that way so that people would buy the more expensive Sovereign model.  I believe his exact words were something like: "I dont want people to buy my Prodigy, I want them to buy Sovereigns."    I'm not saying that this is the case here but it does give an incite to the mentality of the manufacturer.
Measure once, cut twice.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 10:13:42 am »
Here's a completely different take on the question.  Many years ago I had the opportunity to have dinner with the President of Watkins and we were talking about the Hot Spring line and asked him why they didnt make the Prodigy snazzier, add the Moto etc..  His response was that it was purposely designed that way so that people would buy the more expensive Sovereign model.  I believe his exact words were something like: "I dont want people to buy my Prodigy, I want them to buy Sovereigns."    I'm not saying that this is the case here but it does give an incite to the mentality of the manufacturer.

Yes, it's called product placement.  The Jetsetter is small and has a lounge with Moto.  Great, but for about $400 more you can get a much bigger Prodigy.  But, the Prodigy doesn't have a lounge or Moto and I really want those.  Cool, the Sovereign is big, has a lounge, and a Moto.  Great, that's the one I want.  Best selling spa ever!

Are you saying we are the only company that does this?  If so, no wonder we outsell every other spa company on the planet.  That is simply an astute business model class 101. :)

And, to add, typically the Prodigy has always been our second biggest seller.  Therefore, it is in all probability the second most popular spa ever.  It is considered to be an economy top-of-the-line spa and will still do things most other brands of spa can't.

Terminator
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 10:16:40 am by East_TX_Spa »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 10:13:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42