What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: OK Chem experts...advice about cloudy water?  (Read 6477 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: OK Chem experts...advice about cloudy water?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 01:26:33 pm »
Frankly 6 weeks is not bad any way.  I never to more than about 8 weeks and I am one user not two as is your case.

Bottom line:  Dump your water and refill with fresh water.    This is easy to do and will definitely solve your problem.

Regards,

Bill  

Six weeks is "not bad"?  ? ?

I respectfully disagree. Six weeks is not good. Esp if you are in the colder climates, and water change out's are the last option.  (if at all)  I think you should be able to go at least 3 months, Idealy 4 months.

IF changing the water out isn't an option, what else would you recomend?
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 01:26:33 pm »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 02:35:36 pm »
A good rule of thumb is between 75 and 150 bathers and it is time to dump the water.  

If it is possible, dumping the water seems like the best advice.  

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005, 02:38:08 pm »
If the water is really cloudy all that "stuff' will end up in your filter after you have cleaned it the first time.  By cleaning the filters a second time (you don't need TSP the second time) you will be set for happy tubbing without a relapse back to cloudy water.  Remember to hose off that filter every 10 days or so.  

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2005, 02:43:45 pm »
Six weeks is "not bad"?  ? ?
I respectfully disagree. Six weeks is not good. Esp if you are in the colder climates, and water change out's are the last option.  (if at all)  I think you should be able to go at least 3 months, Idealy 4 months.
IF changing the water out isn't an option, what else would you recomend?

Agreed, I need 3 months minumum this time of year. Very difficult to change out in Jan-Mar. I try and get a change in Dec, late Nov, and make it till Mar. if possible. Otherwise it's a cold cold frozen water change, but a partial change is not out of the question.
Retired

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005, 02:50:35 pm »

Agreed, I need 3 months minumum this time of year. Very difficult to change out in Jan-Mar. I try and get a change in Dec, late Nov, and make it till Mar. if possible. Otherwise it's a cold cold frozen water change, but a partial change is not out of the question.

ah, the partial change out. Forget about that.  That could help.  
07 Caldera Geneva

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2005, 03:34:05 pm »
Is this a new tub that is only 6 weeks old?  Or do you usually get serveral months and for some reason have an issue at 6 weeks this time?

I know that typically a new owner has a couple of other things to deal with.  Usually there's a learning curve to water management that leads to new owners micromanaging the water and a lot of extra stuff is added the first month or so due to trying to keep the water balanced.  This is hard on the water and could lead to a limited life span of the water.  It doesn't happen to all but is quite common.  This is probably a big reason for the Chas' Law of dumping after a month if you're a new owner to start again fresh.

Also, usage is usually quite heavy for new owner and it takes time for new hot tub 'bodies' to become adjusted.  It takes a while for a lot of the oils and stuff to get out of your system.  I've heard that over time your body becomes more used to a hot tub and is easier on the water (who knows if that's really true or not).  The other thing with new owners (for us anyway) is that there tends to be WAY more guests the first couple of months...  Adds a lot to your water.

Just a couple of things to think about anyway...  :)
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

pruned_hands

• Hot Springs Grandee Lover
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005, 03:59:10 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everyone...I appreciate the varied ideas and I am sure this will help me now and in the future.

This is a new tub and I am a new tub owner so micro managing isn't out of the question, but I have been actually micro-managing how much I might be "micro-managing"  and basically have followed advice on this forum almost ahead of advice from local dealer (I hope you folks don't steer me wrong).

I also live in a cold climate so am holding out for the next water change until things are less likely to freeze.  I do know this would be a good idea and if the temp. were 40 F, I would have change it out days ago.

I did have the water tested today at the local dealer who recommended another shock since my free chlorine is really low.  I am shocking as we speak and letting the jets run for awhile to help get everything "shocked".  After this I am going to try cleaning the filter again and see if anything changes in the day or two following.  If no good results occur, then a partial water change is in order.

I appreciate the discussion about shock choice and feel that a dichlor shock seems to have more pros than cons compared to MPS.

Thanks again for the feedback...this forum never ceases to amaze with the level of friendly advice and helpfulness.  Thank goodness no scrooges here!

PH

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2005, 07:23:29 pm »
Generally when I get cloudy water, I add chorine and filter more.  I know this is not easy to do with a HS spa because you have to hit the clean cycle a few times.  If that doesn't do the trick I add some Bright and Clear.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005, 07:29:14 pm »
Generally when I get cloudy water, I add chorine and filter more.  I know this is not easy to do with a HS spa because you have to hit the clean cycle a few times.  If that doesn't do the trick I add some Bright and Clear.

Tony, it's actually easier than you might realize.  Once a week, add some chlorine and just turn on the jets and leave it.  It'll shut off in 2 hours and 100% of your water (with NO BYPASS, I might add) will be thoroughly sanitized without sucking debris into your plumbing.  That's what I do every Saturday evening before I leave the store.  When I come back on Tuesday, the water is crystal clear! :)

Pruned Hands, do the same thing and your water will always sparkle.

Terminator
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 07:31:36 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

pruned_hands

• Hot Springs Grandee Lover
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 11:42:15 pm »
Term,

just a couple of questions...(and I have a HS grandee so you know what I'm dealing with)

1.  When you "add chlorine" are you adding a shock treatment amount or just a TBS like I do after a soak?

2.  Do I turn on both jets (#1 and #2) and just leave them?  I didn't know they would shut off in 2 hours on their own.  I suppose leaving the cover off would be needed?

thanks for the reply...

PH

By the way forum friends, I finished the shock I spoke of earlier and also soaked/cleaned my filters over night and rinsed them like crazy and the water is looking much better.  I was just amazed that I basically did a dichlor shock last Monday, an MPS shock on last Thursday, and still needed another stronger dichlor shock again on Monday!  I would have thought that was too much dichlor, but apparently I had enough junk in there that needed to get oxygenated out.

thanks for all the posts  (and by the way I always get a good laugh on this forum ...although this thread in itself was not too funny.  This post showed how helpful the forum can be.  The funny posts are found elsewhere and can certainly be skipped by those not interested.  Happy holidays!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2005, 10:41:48 am »
Term,

just a couple of questions...(and I have a HS grandee so you know what I'm dealing with)

My friend, this is the easiest spa in the world to take care of and this is how you do it:

1.  Balance the pH
2.  Get the Calcium Hardness where it needs to be
3.  Add a tablespoon of dichlorine each time you get out of the spa.  Push the "Clean" button
4.  Once a week, add 2 tablespoons of dichlorine, push "Jet Pump 1" and "Jet Pump 2", prop the lid open slightly, go do something fun with your family.  The spa will shut off in 2 hours and your water will be crystal clear.
5.  Clean filters twice a month with water hose.  Use filter cleaner every 2 months.
6.  That's it, easy as pie! :)

Terminator
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 10:42:19 am by East_TX_Spa »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2005, 05:21:03 pm »

Tony, it's actually easier than you might realize.  Once a week, add some chlorine and just turn on the jets and leave it.  It'll shut off in 2 hours and 100% of your water (with NO BYPASS, I might add) will be thoroughly sanitized without sucking debris into your plumbing.  That's what I do every Saturday evening before I leave the store.  When I come back on Tuesday, the water is crystal clear! :)

Pruned Hands, do the same thing and your water will always sparkle.

Terminator

Now why didn't I think of that?  My head must be somewhere else.  Thats how I do it with my SD.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 05:22:39 pm by tony »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2005, 06:05:17 pm »

Now why didn't I think of that?  My head must be somewhere else.  Thats how I do it with my SD.

Oops!  I thought you were Tony P than owns an Envoy, my mistake.  Been really busy lately and didn't pay as close attention as I should have.  I apologize for any inconvenience.

Terminator

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 12:57:46 pm »
No inconvenience.  I really should have known that.  My dealer sells both Sundance and HotSprings so I see them all the time.  Don't know what I was thinking. ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 12:57:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42