What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coughing & Tub that quickly seems to get dirty  (Read 18621 times)

tped

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Coughing & Tub that quickly seems to get dirty
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 02:20:34 pm »
So I have it backwards?  I think half my problem is acronyms and nomenclature...

- Chlorine after each use (please confirm that DiChlor is Chlorine)
- Shock every 10 days (please confirm that "Brilliance Shock" aka Peroxymonosulfate is MPS)

The only reason it stays clear is that we don't use the tub - and since the change in 'program' the water goes bad and I change it - 2 water changes since 2nd week of October.  We've used the tub probably 4 times

Doc's site?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 02:29:23 pm by tped »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 02:20:34 pm »

Soakin

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 02:25:59 pm »
Although you say that ventilation is really good, with an indoor tub, mold or allergies to the gases coming off the tub could be likely culprits of your symptoms.  The recurring "dirt" points more to mold.  Do you have 24/7 ventilation along with more that kicks in when you have the cover off the spa?  Do you monitor humidity levels?

It does sound like you could use more information on sanitation and water management.  I would suggest a visit to the rhtubs.com site and look at the sanitizer info sections and the Vermonter and Northman posts in the FAQ.  They provide a good background on hot tub water management.

As previous posters have said MPS is an oxidizer, not a sanitizer and IMO, Nature2 should be viewed as a supplemental sanitizer, not the primary one.    You need dichlor, bromine or one of the other bacteria killing chems as part of your routine, and you need to monitor residual levels to make sure you have enough in there to keep the nasties away.

Good luck.  Keep us posted as you sort through this.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 02:26:08 pm »
So I have it backwards?  I think half my problem is achronyms and nomenclature...

- Chlorine after each use (please confirm that DiChlor is Chlorine)
- Shock every 10 days (please confirm that "Brilliance Shock" aka Peroxymonosulfate is MPS)

The only reason it stays clear is that we don't use the tub - and since the change in 'program' the water goes bad and I change it - 2 water changes since 2nd week of October.  We've used the tub probably 4 times

Yes. Dichlor is chlorine.  Use after each soak. Chlorine will santize your water and kill bacteria.  Use your test strips to make sure you are acheiving the appropriate amount of chlorine levels.  You levels will drop in a day or so, but don't worry about that. You want to have high levels after you get out of the tub, but have them drift lower  the next day or so, when you get back into the water.

Yes. Peroxymonosulfate is MPS. Use every week to 10 days depending on use.  The shock will burn up all the sstuff that the chlorine has killed, and free up the chlorine to do it' s job.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 02:30:12 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

tped

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 02:44:19 pm »
I can't believe how responsive this group has been

thanks - all of you

It sure sounds to me that we got the instructions wrong (backwards) when we had to buy our own chemicals.  We had instructions and supplies from the previous homeowners - worked GREAT.  BUT ... We never paid attention to what we were dumping in there (e.g. DiChlor vs MPS).   Our instructions were like "toss in some of the stuff with the orage cap after each use" and "a little of this once a week".

The timing was about right.  When we ran out of supplies and had to stand on our own - we goofed it all up ...  the tub began to give us problems about this time!

I'll look at the Vermont guide and see if I can fix this thing

thanks again, everybody

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 02:47:43 pm »
So it seems we haven't identified the problem, but  it does seem to be that a change in your water treament  is needed.

Recaping

1) Clean out the tub with the bleach as Serjical stated and do a water change out.  

2) Get on the Dichlor program as the Rhtubs site outlines

3)  The ventilaton may be an issue.  I think there is a recent topic that deals with this in greater detail.

4) The coughing could be caused by the heavy MPS use, (we've been discussing MPS and out gassing recently here as well)  hopefully with the new routine this will be eleviated.  ?

5) I've read reports where some folks are highly sensitive to ozone. It dsoens't seem to be too common place but I have heard about it.  It can cause coughing and irratiited throats.  It can aggreviate ashma as well.  

It should not be a pain to take care of the tub.  Honest. If it is, something is wrong.
07 Caldera Geneva

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005, 03:10:47 pm »
Now that we figured out you were not using chlorine, you really should go and see a doctor and have them take a look at the cough.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2005, 03:18:51 pm »
Now that we figured out you were not using chlorine, you really should go and see a doctor and have them take a look at the cough.  

Hot tub lung?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hot-tub-lung/AN00660
07 Caldera Geneva

tped

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2005, 03:25:59 pm »
Hot tub lung?!  I don't think so - but we'll watch it

Nobody has a chronic or ongoing cough ... we had to be IN the tub, close to the water ... even then its was more like a tickle/tendency to cough sort of a thing.  Stopped as soon as you stood up or got out.

We probably used the tub 2-3 times since the situation started and I HAVE been chlorinating once a week whether we used it or not ... so I'm feeling better that it was probably caused by tossing MPS into the tub every couple of days and before we used it....

but we'll keep an eye on it

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2005, 03:41:13 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of this:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/legionellosis_g.htm

My guess would be that this isn't the case, but with the symptoms and the history of the spa, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Ronnie526

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2005, 10:15:09 pm »
Tped .... You're getting some great info & suggestions from the resident experts here .... Here's my $.02 worth.  I'm a hot tub newbie myself (not quite 2 months.  I experienced the same thing with coughing.  I chalked it up to "over fragrancing"?  When my nose was very close to water level, those "microbubbles" would tickle my nose & take my breath away, making me cough & choke a little. Same thing happens to me in a steam room @ the club.  Certainly don't discount anything anyone else here says .... like I said ... they're very knowledgeable, & in my case, maybe ignorance is bliss, but as the fragranced got diluted by topping off & just dissipating on it's own, I found the coughing went the same route .... Good Luck!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 12:19:29 pm »
tped

Any updates on how things are working for you?
07 Caldera Geneva

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 02:04:07 pm »
The cough...  ???

tped

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2005, 03:19:47 pm »
Sorry - I owe you guys an update

I explained it to the chemical/repair guy - he knows the tub, ventalation and such.  He had us do a healthy Chlorine dose ... and talked me through chemicals

It seems that I was adding chlorine (Dichlor as you guys call it) weekly - which is why it stayed clean - whether we used it or not - we rarely do.  Adding MPS just before getting into the tub appears to have been the stinker.

Water is nice and fresh now - no coughs when I put my face down there - but I don't think anyone has been in there - sort of spooked.

keating

• Arctic Avalanche Ultra DELIVERED
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2005, 03:24:38 pm »
Everybody says the great thing about MPS is that you don't have to wait for the chlorine to subside, like you would with a chlorine shock....well I threw in a shock dose of MPS one day and hopped in about 20 minutes later.....the water felt slimy when I was in there, and turned my skin all pruney in record time.....and the vapour coming off the water was smothering....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2005, 03:24:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42