What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: High Alk  (Read 2476 times)

nyspa17

High Alk
« on: November 30, 2005, 02:19:23 pm »
I have a alk reading of 160, ph is pretty good at 7.5-7.6 and the bromine level is good. How can I lower the Alk without affecting the other readings?
Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

High Alk
« on: November 30, 2005, 02:19:23 pm »

sunnydee

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: High Alk
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 02:22:02 pm »
Funny, I have just the opposite problem. My ph is good, but my alkalinity is on the low side. I hope someone out there has the answer! ???

keating

• Arctic Avalanche Ultra DELIVERED
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 02:26:01 pm »
If I understand correctly, you use a "ph down" or "adjust down" or some similar dry acid product which decreases alk and pH simultaneously, then you add a "pH up" product to get your pH back in the correct range without raising the alk back up.

I think, if I remember correctly, that there is no product to decrease alk without affecting the pH.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 02:27:33 pm »
Use ALK increaser or plain baking soda to raise TA without impacting Ph.

If my alk is pretty close, but a bit high, I just leave it alone, it tends to drift down over time.  I've been told it's the MPS shock I'm using.   It usually drifts down to where I need to use PH increase to get it back in range.

You can use Ph decrease to lower TA, but you may need to adjust it back up with PH increaser if you end up overshooting.  

Not sure if there is anything to just raise TA.  I've seen Ph up and down, and alk up, but not alk down.
Brewman

keating

• Arctic Avalanche Ultra DELIVERED
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 02:31:07 pm »
Funny, I have just the opposite problem. My ph is good, but my alkalinity is on the low side. I hope someone out there has the answer! ???

baking soda....or a more expensive spa specific product called "perfect balance" or similiar.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 02:43:59 pm »
I have a alk reading of 160, ph is pretty good at 7.5-7.6 and the bromine level is good. How can I lower the Alk without affecting the other readings?
Thanks

Ideal PH and Alk are a range not a specific number, what are you shooting for?  I'd leave well enough alone.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

nyspa17

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 09:34:04 pm »
OK, will do. I'll leave it alone. The water is a little cloudy so I'm hoping that will clear up on it's own, or do you have any suggestions?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 09:34:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42