What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone use Lithium Hypochlorite?  (Read 6956 times)

tooth

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Anyone use Lithium Hypochlorite?
« on: November 16, 2005, 07:58:40 pm »
We've had our tub since May and started off with bromine as our sanatizer but I seemed to develop skin problems so switched to the chlorine sold by my dealer which is Lithium Hypochlorite.

All I seem to hear reading the posts here is dichlor as the chlorine sanatizer people use.  Is there a difference between the two?  When I questioned my dealer he said that Lithium hypochlorite is better for hot tubs.

It is also very expensive!!!

Any comments from the experts?

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone use Lithium Hypochlorite?
« on: November 16, 2005, 07:58:40 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: Anyone use Lithium Hypochlorite?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 10:28:26 pm »
I bet you live in Canada.  My dealer also recommends using lithium but dichlor is by far the most popular in the states. Here is another link about lithium.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1131845547

We've had our tub since May and started off with bromine as our sanatizer but I seemed to develop skin problems so switched to the chlorine sold by my dealer which is Lithium Hypochlorite.

All I seem to hear reading the posts here is dichlor as the chlorine sanatizer people use.  Is there a difference between the two?  When I questioned my dealer he said that Lithium hypochlorite is better for hot tubs.

It is also very expensive!!!

Any comments from the experts?

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Debra

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 08:22:15 am »
We are in Canada and have been using Lithium Hypochlorite since September as directed by our SD dealer.   We would like to try the Dichlor and see if there is a difference because the LH is more expensive and you use twice as much of it.  We have had problems with cloudiness and foam but we're starting to get a handle on it.  

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 02:44:02 pm »
Dichlor has 2 major advantages over lithium hypochlorite:
--pH of dichlor is 7.0 (neutral) where lith pH is between 9-10
--dichlor provides between 56-62% active chlorine and lith provides around 35% active chlorine

Dichlor has 1 disadvantage:  it contains about 57% cyanuric acid (a stabilizer) though this is normally not a problem for tub owners since the water is changed regularly.

HTH   8)

BTW, is there a reason why Canada does not allow the sale of dichlor?
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 05:15:33 pm »
BTW, is there a reason why Canada does not allow the sale of dichlor?

I work in Canada. We sell Dichlor. There is no restriction on it whatsoever.
Homeworks Financing Representative

windsurfdog

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 09:31:51 am »
I work in Canada. We sell Dichlor. There is no restriction on it whatsoever.

That's good to know--thanks.  Don't know why I thought otherwise......
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 02:10:11 pm »
That's good to know--thanks.  Don't know why I thought otherwise......

It is because most posts regarding lithium users come from Canada where more dealers sell this product and do not carry dichlor.  You have been posting long enough to have seen owners from Canada not being able to find dichlor.  This may not be the issue now, but it once was.  Or maybe still is in some places because obviously there are lithium users out there.

windsurfdog

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 01:12:03 pm »
It is because most posts regarding lithium users come from Canada where more dealers sell this product and do not carry dichlor.  You have been posting long enough to have seen owners from Canada not being able to find dichlor.  This may not be the issue now, but it once was.  Or maybe still is in some places because obviously there are lithium users out there.

Thanks, tony, that makes sense.  Glad everyone in the Great White North has a choice. 8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 01:12:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42