What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Canadian Girl after Tub advice!?  (Read 3009 times)

AJsun

Canadian Girl after Tub advice!?
« on: November 11, 2005, 12:34:12 pm »
Hello everyone.  

We are looking at buying a spa, and I have been reading here for a while, however being new to it all I am finding it to be a bit daunting...  So here we go...

We live in Calgary and like someone else on here mentioned, the temperature can get down to below -30°C.  We are comparing between D1 (Aurora II & Diplomat) and have looked at the Jacuzzi J355.    How will these tubs fare in the freezing frigid winter (maybe HotTubMan will know since he used to sell D1 ~ And is from a Northern climate too)!  Both are full foam - correct??  I read that some people feel this is a concern in colder climes?  But honestly haven't seen one here yet (that we have looked at) that isn't?  Thoughts?

Also have read about the R Value, but don't quite get it?  Does this only apply to the cover we choose?

Finally I have read the ozone pages endlessly too.  Just need to clear up differences between CD and UV, D1 has UV right?  And jacuzzi uses a CD?  We were explained that the D1 with 'built in' ozonator is optimal because it's within the system, and the ozone is forced down, not up - so no fizzling out and damage?  Also lasting longer in water for more cleaning power?  

Thanks for your input...
One confused potential buyer....
AJ

Hot Tub Forum

Canadian Girl after Tub advice!?
« on: November 11, 2005, 12:34:12 pm »

Pathfinder

Re: Canadian Girl after Tub advice!?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 12:46:11 pm »
If this helps any   I live in NW ontario and we have weeks here where the temp gets to -40 with windchill
most of my friends have tubs  all have full foamed tubs in 7 yrs I havent heard them complain about energy bills of equipment failure  2 have Jacuzzi tubs and no complaints    In regards to ozone  Im no expert  but my friends all tell me it only works in conjunction with your basic water chemistry   if its outta whack ozone doesnt work to well     Only time will tell when I have my tub

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 12:49:43 pm »
Just got back from Calgary last night, was there for a week saw Vancouver get their butt kicked on Monday night.  I Live near Toronto and our winters get pretty cold here as well, I have only had my tub since June though but from the information I have gathered all the top tubs will be ok in our climate.  I have a Beachcomber which is made in Vancouver BC.  Whichever tub you go with make sure it's not a 110volt tub, You will defenitely need to run the heater at the same time as your pumps.  Wet test the tubs, get comfortable with the dealer, go top quality if you can.

IMHO anyway.

Rayman
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 12:55:23 pm »
Hi AJ,

I live in Calgary and own a Jacuzzi J-355.  Darren and his staff are awesome to deal with, not only before, but after the sale.  I know where Dimension one is sold now in Calgary, and it wouldn't excite me to buy there, knowing that I wouldn't be dealing with the owner / GM or one of the prinicpals of the business.  With Darren and his staff, you get things handled in a very professional and quick manner.

The tub has done extremely well in winter.  It hardly drops off in temperature even when you're in it (maybe a degree or two)

The Full foam vs. Thermopane has been debated to death (see beating a dead horse) so either way will work well.

I love our Jacuzzi, and we get great service from Darren and his staff.

PM me if you'd like to come take a look at our J-355 in action.  

Mark

AJsun

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 12:59:47 pm »
Thanks for being so speedy!

Pathfinder - what kind of tub have you got out there??  And how have you found it?

Rayman - thanks we are planning the wet-tests, and are pretty comfortable with the D1 dealer since it's actually a longtime family friend.  Hence why we even began the looking, I just wanted to do my homework too???  
Sidenote -->  that Calgary-Van game was awesome!!!  Nice to see Flames come-back and get more than 2 goals!!

AJ

Pathfinder

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 02:31:56 pm »
Hey Aj  if you look on this page you ll see Beachcomber or Jacuzzi  im still in limbo about which tub I want

I been in most of the top tubs on the market through friends  I must say no 2 tubs are the same  thats Y it taken me multiple months to narrow down to 2

BC seems to be getting more of a push here than Jacuzzi  But they are the originators

AJsun

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 02:52:12 pm »
Sorry - missed that part Pathfinder.

So you are in the boat of finding more than one you like - well at least you have narrowed it down to 2 now.  What about your location geographically> do you have both dealers near where you live - for future service and support??

We have them all here in Calgary - so I am actually going to head out this afternoon to a few more places that Mark knew of being reputable, just to be sure about the final 2; the J355 vs D1.  Such a big decision.

Good luck - and thanks for your cold weather input!

AJ

Pathfinder

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 02:58:25 pm »
we dont have a D1 dealer here  in Thunder bay
but we have pretty much everyone one else except hotsprings  Terninator this is your opportunity to expand
all places are 15 mins away from my house But im going to winnipeg to look at more jacuzzi tubs and get more info

fletch49

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 03:57:37 pm »
Check out Arctic Spa. They make a great tub. You really need to go see the tub to appreciate it.  

Arctic Spa is a well built tub with a great warranty. In terms of energy efficiency, they are on par with all other well built tubs.

I think  Beachcomber, Hydropool, and Jacuzzi are as quality a tub as Arctic, but the deciding factor for me after wet testing them was the cedar skirt. Arctic has stuck with cedar, not composite, and they spare no expense of their cedar skirt.

The cedar skirt looks great on my deck.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 03:57:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42