What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Any order for refill  (Read 2482 times)

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
Any order for refill
« on: November 02, 2005, 12:17:37 pm »
Just did my 3rd drain and refill and learn something each time.  This time I learned the little battery pumps work great and with a hose attached also to the drain, the whole process takes about 2 hours to be drained and refilled.  I didn't have to do much bailing by hand and it worked well.  I also learned not to forget to take off the headrest pillows and check all places for the gunk that you might not otherwise see.  Overall, it was a very thorough job.

What I am wondering is if there is a particular oder for balancing chemicals for the first fill.  My routine is to first shock, them add bromine, then check calcium hardness and adjust, then check and adjust ph and alk.  I don't add chemicals more than a few hours apart and may be wasting time.

Hot Tub Forum

Any order for refill
« on: November 02, 2005, 12:17:37 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Any order for refill
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:34:27 pm »
What I am wondering is if there is a particular oder for balancing chemicals for the first fill.  My routine is to first shock, them add bromine, then check calcium hardness and adjust, then check and adjust ph and alk.  

This is completely bass ackwards from what chemical manufacturers suggest. They recommend balancing the water (TA, then pH, then Calcium) and then shock. The logic given is that pH is very TA sensitive. Get the TA right, then adjust pH. I dont think it really matters when you do the calcium, although the chem manufacturers usually list it third. Then you shock. If shocking with chlorine, the logic here is that Chlorine is most effective if the pH is in the desired 7.2-7.8 range.

Most recommend 1 hour between additions. Very few comply.

I don't add chemicals more than a few hours apart and may be wasting time.[/quote]

Homeworks Financing Representative

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 12:47:53 pm »
I have had 3 water changes done by the dealer (don't ask) and everytime they do it they add all the chemicals at once, no waiting.  I don't know if this is correct or not but the water is perfect so that's the way I do it when I change as well.  Then bring in a water sample after a day or two and do the final adjustments if required.

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Confused

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 01:00:40 pm »
I have had 3 water changes done by the dealer

Why is the dealer changing your water for you?

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 01:01:46 pm »
He said don't ask!

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 01:10:51 pm »
I guess I said it wrong.  I wait at LEAST an hour between chemical additions.  I was actually wondering if the order of chemicals added was important.  (calcuim before alk, before ph.... got it?).  I guess like my humming question, I will eventually get the answer I seek.  Vinny, where are you?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 01:11:59 pm by orlandoguy »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 06:05:20 pm »
I see no reason to shock a tub  that has fresh water. I know from experience that my tub will be slightly low in ALK and PH, so I add about 1/4 pound of baking soda and a small amount of sanitizer.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 06:38:20 pm »
You called!!!

I believe that once you get the amount of chemicals down pat (20 tablespoons of calcium for example) you can probably add the chemicals all at once and test about an hour later. I haven't gotten to this point yet.

I typically do PH and then Calcium. I don't test my alk too often because my PH is 6.8 out of the tap and my PH tends to drift down. I'm more concerned that my PH and Calcium are correct

As far as shocking, I agree that new water doesn't need shock but usually put in dichlor the night before the water change to shock the tub.

Hope this helps!

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 06:46:05 pm »
I don't know why I started shocking new water and probably won't again.  Considering I use a bromine floater, I will probably just establish a good reserve after the fill.  Like I said, I learn each fill and hope to get ass forwards one day. ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 06:46:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42