What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ...and now the rest of the story  (Read 5239 times)

cappykat

...and now the rest of the story
« on: October 29, 2005, 03:43:28 pm »
Ummm...where do I start?  Guys got here with the tub about 2:00pm.  Got it off the truck...piece of cake.  Set it up where it's suppose to go, all ready to start hooking up the electrical and #$@% it was run with 3 wires instead of 4.  

That was the only thing my husband was in charge of...get the electrical done.  A family member who is a master electrician did the work BUT...they went by the Jacuzzi wiring diagram.  Don't even ask me why we didn't have the Marquis specs???  In order for the GFI to work it has to be 4 wires.  I don't have a clue what I'm writing about...I'm just relaying what I heard.  So now it's 3:40pm and we're waiting for the dealer's electrician to get here.  All this wiring was buried and is underneath our newly laid pavers!!! and it's going to cost us another $200!!!  Hey, what's another $200 when you've already spent $15,000+...

I had to come inside and get away from all the chaos!  My nerves are about shot after 8 months of planning!

Alrighty then...ya'll have a great weekend and I'll post again with the "conclusion of the story"!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 03:45:54 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

...and now the rest of the story
« on: October 29, 2005, 03:43:28 pm »

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
Re: ...and now the rest of the story
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 03:50:51 pm »
Congratulations Cappykat!!!
It is true that not all spas are wired the same, but fear not and relax, you have many many years of spa enjoyment ahead of you..

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 04:13:05 pm »
Cappy,

If it makes you feel any better, When my paver patio went in, I woke up wondering why everything was sandy and wet.  I discovered the illegal aliens I hired to do the job had put the pavers over some sprinkler heads and they had to rip the bricks up.

cappykat

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 04:19:45 pm »
Orlandoguy...thanks for that!  It's comforting to know that others have had these "bumps in the road" also.  I know once everything is up and working it will all be worth it.  Once we take that first soak it will all be behind us.
2005 Marquis Epic

cappykat

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 04:44:05 pm »
Good news!!  Let's see it took 5 guys (2 delivery guys, 2 landscapers, and hubby) but they came up with a way to do the electrical without calling out the electrician.  Something about a pvc pipe and water pressure and ran the ground wire through the pvc pipe.

Saved us $200, but I'm going to tip the delivery guys.  
2005 Marquis Epic

drprwnap

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 05:07:41 pm »
Cappy,
Sorry to hear about your problems.  Hope it all works out for you.  All I can say is that it will ALL be worth it when your Epic is up and running.  If I can be of any help, pm me.

drprwnap  8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

bob5820

• Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 05:47:30 pm »
I was actually going to post this last Monday, but wanted to see how it played out first. Then I got lazy and forgot about it. The electrician was scheduled to come by at 1 pm and hook up the tub. I called him around 11am, and he started giving me a song and dance about being backed up because one of his workers quit. Normally I would have just given in and rescheduled, but I had taken a 1/2 day off from work, and figured I've sunk enough money into this, I want it done today. After a call to the primary contractor, who built the deck, the electrician found some one who could make it out that day. So the tubs been up and running since Monday, and I've been in it every night. To only problem is the electrician put in a 40 amp breaker, when I wanted a 50. He latter told me it wouldn't make a difference but would change it if I still wanted a 50.

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 07:09:16 pm »
Cappykat,  it seems like you have the electrical issues resolved. Don't worry, it will all work out and you will be enjoying your spa in no time. Good luck with everything and post some final install pics when you get a chance. Everything looks awesome so far!!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 07:12:48 pm by Payton3485 »

cappykat

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 07:20:20 pm »
Removed
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:22:37 am by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

Payton3485

• 2005 Sundance Majesta
ARe: ...and now the rest of the story
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 07:37:41 pm »
Awesome!!!! Enjoy the Epic  ;D

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 07:51:59 pm »
Wow, I don't want to say what I am paying for my Epic, Maybe  I should have shopped in Florida!  It was kind of like everyone said yes and I quit trying to bargain. Oh well...now I really need to save on my deck!!!!
Please keep posting about how wonderful it is and the couple extra thousands won't make me feel so bad! :'(
Support your dealer so they can support you!

cappykat

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 08:11:07 pm »
I know...we got a fabulous deal on our Epic.  The guys that did the delivery said we had the cadillac of spas.  He said he does repair on all tubs and the Marquis Epic is the best in his opinion.  

Not taking anything away from all the HotSpring, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Artic, Artesian, D1, and other owners.  I know those are excellent tubs as well.  Just relaying what I was told.  Of course, it made me feel like we made a good decision.

We bought our hot-tub from Waterline Spas & Backyard Leisure in Longwood, FL.  So all you Florida people looking for a great dealer and a great spa...tell Marshall Roper, I sent you!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 08:11:46 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 06:38:19 am »
You were saying that they ran a three wire instead of a four wire.  If they ran a 6/2 NMWU then it has two wires plus a ground.  Using the bare ground wire as a neutral and adding a separate ground wire is not the best idea.  Even thought the neutral wire is at ground potential at your service entrance, it could cause nuisance tripping of the GFI should the cable have a small pin hole.  I am an industrial electrician so I sought the advice of co-workers in the construction wiring end when I did my install.  I recommend the use of direct burial cable (as required by code) pulled through PVC (for underground runs) for new installs.  Objects underground can pierce the two layers of insulation (quite common actually) and eventually cause the GFI to trip.  This can happen years down the road.
Good luck and happy tubbing.

cappykat

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 10:30:30 am »
Thanks, cola.  They did use buriel cable and pvc, so they assure me we're ok.
2005 Marquis Epic

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 10:27:55 am »
Congratulations on your new tub!  You are not alone with the wiring.  My builder did not do the wiring in accordance with the National Electric Code, so the electrical inspector not only would not sign off on the hot tub, he would not even issue the occupancy permit for my new house.  We are talking movers on the door step.  Moving pavers never happened so fast.  It only cost me several thousand dollars.

Ain't spas fun?

Regards,

Bill

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 10:27:55 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42