What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Nature 2 vs. HS Freshwater Silver Ion  (Read 8238 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Nature 2 vs. HS Freshwater Silver Ion
« on: October 23, 2005, 01:26:02 am »
I'm assuming that the Nature 2 cartridge system is very similar to Hotsprings Freshwater Silver Ion purifier? Any advantages or disadvantages to using the Nature 2 system with a HS spa? I'm thinking the N2 system would cost less but I could be wrong. ;D

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

Nature 2 vs. HS Freshwater Silver Ion
« on: October 23, 2005, 01:26:02 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Nature 2 vs. HS Freshwater Silver Ion
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 10:05:08 am »
My opinion is ... don't waste your money on either. With that said others will say it works great.

I' m using N2 and it doesn't seem to be working,  I've been told I'm using it wrong, but can't see how!

N2 is the same as all the propriety systems and a little different than the Frog system as you can't use N2 with bromine.

I would suggest to NOT use either system and see how much different the water is and if you find you do like or need something like N2 in your tub, buy the N2.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 10:41:11 am »
They are the same.  I've taken the top off the HS one and put it on the N2 cartridge so I wouldn't have to play with the plastic sticks.  

Over 1 year and no water problems.  I use the N2 with ozone.  I add 2 tbs. of MPS before each use and 3 tbs. of DiChlor once a week.  Just opened the Spa after over a week of no use (RAIN, RAIN, RAIN) and the water is perfect.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 10:55:06 am »
Over 1 year and no water problems.  I use the N2 with ozone.  I add 2 tbs. of MPS before each use and 3 tbs. of DiChlor once a week.  Just opened the Spa after over a week of no use (RAIN, RAIN, RAIN) and the water is perfect.

I go 3 days of non-use and I get cloudy water ... use 2 teaspoons of dichlor after use and shock with a MPS/dichlor once a week and still no good ... I must have unruley water!

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 11:22:27 am »
Hey Vinny,
I'm trying to remember, do you have an ozonator on your Artesian? Also, if I remember correct, you have a Island Series, without the 24 hour circ pump? If so, what is your filtration cycle, how many hours a day? I usually only recommend Nature 2, when used in conjunction with an ozonator. Also, atleast 6-8 hours a day filtration or 2 four hour cycles 12 hours apart. Rmember, ozone has a shelf life of only a few hours. Every hour the ozonator is off, it looses half of its life. The Nature 2 sits in the filter and needs water flow, to be effective and release the minerals into the spa. Artesian is also introducing as we speak, optionally a new filter, made with the same concept as the Sundance filter, never clean it and throw it away in 6 months. Again, this will be optional and it will fit into your 2005 Grand Cayman. As for shocking with with Nature 2, I like using MPS after each use and 3 tablespoons of Dichlor weekly. If not used during a 3 day period, I do shock again with MPS, whether the spa is used or not. Dave.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 12:08:13 pm »
I have the Cayman with 24 hour circ pump and I run the ozone 8 hours a day. I have the ozone going on at 12:30 AM & PM  and this gives me ozone coverage after I use the tub (AM).

My dealer gave me a N2 cartridge and I didn't use it until this last (2 other) water change. I wanted to see IF it would work for the winter, I don't know how costly water is by you but for me I get it for about $2 - $3 per 1000 gallons, cheap enough for SUMMER water changes but certainly don't want to change water in the Winter. I had foaming issues from my other water changes and I dumped the water a month out, I still do but am trying to deal with it and it's not as bad. I'm the only one using the tub consistantly and figure the foaming is from either body oils or my son went in the tub with a freshly washed bathing suit 2 weeks ago and the detergents have been eaten up yet.

I have 2 concerns with using MPS before use and dichlor weekly: 1 - nothing is killing the bacteria being introduced as you use the tub and 2 - the TDS has to go through the roof. I am using Spa Perfect again and  I am putting the dichlor in the morning after I use the tub to give the enzymes a chance to work.

I bought an extra set of filters with the tub and I should be good for a few years changing them out every 2 - 3 weeks.

Pisces

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 12:35:37 pm »
Hi Vinny,

Try running the ozone 24 hrs/day and see what happens.  I find this by far the most effective method if you have the option of a 24 hr circ. pump.

Pisces  

NJDave

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 01:42:59 pm »
Hi Vinny,
You seem to be doing everything right. And with 24 hour filtration, you are not lacking there. Pisces made a good point about increasing your ozone cycles. Are both of your filters blue or do you have one red and one blue? Are you installing the nature2 into the filter or in the filter tank?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 03:46:59 pm »
Hi Vinny,
You seem to be doing everything right. And with 24 hour filtration, you are not lacking there. Pisces made a good point about increasing your ozone cycles. Are both of your filters blue or do you have one red and one blue? Are you installing the nature2 into the filter or in the filter tank?

I have 2 blue and 2 red, I use 1 each every filter change and alternate between blue and red in the 2 spots. I use the N2 in the circ pump filter, I cut the stick to fit inside, I'm now thinking as I write this that maybe ??? the flow is restricted to the circ pump but the water does clear up when I put dichlor in it.

I guess I'll increass the ozone time by 2 hours a day and see. I'm not convinced that running 24 hour ozone is the answer since I'm sure most of the ozone is getting off gassed at the water's surface. Maybe I'll take the N2 out next time I change the filters!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 03:49:21 pm by Vinny »

Interplayfun

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 03:47:48 pm »
I've been using Nature2 + Ozone on my Artersian Diamond for about 6 weeks now.  I use MPS 3 tablespoons once a week for shock + enzyme . . . and Diclor 1/2 - 1 teaspoon after each use.  Had some foaming problems last week for the first time and after reading some past threads did the following:
* Shock with 2 tablespoons Diclor
* Add 1 oz. of clarifier
* Run all pumps for 10 minutes
* Remove the filters -- circ pump filter is microban -- and throughly rinse them

After all this still had foam . . . so ... turned all the jets on, used a squeegy to skim up the foam and remove in manually from the tub.  This took about 15 minutes to remove most of the foam.  Then shocked again with 1 tablespoon Diclor.  Result . . . no more foam.  Since then, water has been fine with no foam and clear water. It's been 8 days . . . so looks like manual removal worked best.

NJDave

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 09:29:41 pm »
Vinny,
The red filter is a microban filter. The reason why I asked if you have a red is, I have found the red filter to cause restriction in flow and have either removed them from my customers spas or had customers switch the red with the blue. The red filter tends to clog up quicker than standard blue filters, coupled with the low flow of a circ pump, could affect your filtration. And if you are installing the nature2 into the red filter, it will restrict even more. We had experienced some flow issues with them, then removed the red filters and everything changed.My most recent deliveries, did not have a red filter. I think the red filters are done.Vinny, consider removing the red filter from the circulation pump line and switch it with the filter that feeds the big pumps. Try it for a week and see how it goes. Dave.

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 03:28:20 pm »
I believe that ozone life is 22- 25 minutes.  Even though it only contacts water for a few seconds anyway.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 08:01:49 pm »
Vinny,
The red filter is a microban filter. The reason why I asked if you have a red is, I have found the red filter to cause restriction in flow and have either removed them from my customers spas or had customers switch the red with the blue. The red filter tends to clog up quicker than standard blue filters, coupled with the low flow of a circ pump, could affect your filtration. And if you are installing the nature2 into the red filter, it will restrict even more. We had experienced some flow issues with them, then removed the red filters and everything changed.My most recent deliveries, did not have a red filter. I think the red filters are done.Vinny, consider removing the red filter from the circulation pump line and switch it with the filter that feeds the big pumps. Try it for a week and see how it goes. Dave.

When I got the tub and saw the 2 blue micoban filters I wasn't too happy. I try to alternate them on every filter change and I think the red is on the circ pump now. I think for the remainder of this water's life I'm getting rid of the N2. Maybe the N2 IS causing flow problems and I'm not convinced it's doing anything!

I'll forget about the blue filter on the circ pump in the future and when the time comes to buy new filters I'll get the standard red filter.

I'm glad Artesian has come to their senses about the microban.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 08:01:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42