What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wet test results.  Advice still needed!  (Read 2888 times)

jdheffer

Wet test results.  Advice still needed!
« on: October 17, 2005, 12:02:21 am »
My wife and I wet tested the following tubs this week:  HotSprings Grandee, Marquis Destiny/Epic/Euphoria, D1 Nautilus/Californian, Jacuzzi 385.

My wife is 5'1" at 97 pounds and I am 6'1" at 175 pounds.  Unfortunately we did not have a clear cut favorite.  

We did eliminate the Jacuzzi 385 and Marquis Euphoria.  We loved the foot jets on the Jacuzzi 385, but the rest of the tub just didn't fit.  The Marquis Euphoria seating was not upright enough for us.

The HotSprings Grandee was the old version, so we didn't get a real accurate test.  I didn't like this version, it lacked the power, but we still want to test the new Grandee before ruling it out.  The dealer would not setup the new Grandee until they sold the old version on the showroom floor.  Another dealer 50 miles away has the new version setup, we may just give them a chance at a sale.

For the most part we really liked both of the D1's.  The Nautilus is a little lacking with their foot jets.  The new Californian is nice.  It has foot jets in the lounger, but not anywhere else except for the Typhoon jet.  The Typhoon jet is just okay.  The decision with D1 would be lounger or no-lounger.

We liked both of the Marquis' as well.  The Destiny seemed to be more functional for 6 people since it has 6 seats that operate in the 'overall' position.  The Destiny is definitely lacking in foot jets and my wife needed a booster seat for two of the seats.  The Epic was nice, it fit both of us very well, but it only has 5 functional seats when set in the 'overall' position.  I'm still up in the air with Tri-zone.  I understand the concept, but I am still unsure if I like it.   I think the Marquis tubs are great tubs though, I'm just not sure about the Tri-zone.  

My wife really doesn't want to re-test these tubs, she says she would be happy with any of them.  I'm a little more picking when spending this kind of cash.

So I need to decide if I should make a decision based on money alone or re-wet test?  All three of these dealers have been around for 15-20 years and have good reputations.

I have NOT tried to negotiate any prices yet since there wasn't 1 or 2 that really stood out.  My problem with the prices so far is that Marquis seemed to be fixed with their price since I mentioned to them that they were the most expensive.  I knew Hotsprings would be pricey, but I didn't expect this from Marquis.

Here are the initial prices that I received on these tubs.  Like I said, I didn't even ask for a better price or if they would throw anything in.  Please let me know what you think about these prices.  Are the Marquis' really selling for this much?

Thanks a bunch for any help with this!!!

Hotsprings Grandee - $9,000 (includes delivery, setup, cover, starter chemicals & breaker)  EXTRAs - (lift $300, Ozone $450, Steps $115) Total = $9,865.  

D1 Californian - $8,500 (includes delivery, setup, cover, starter chemicals, steps, ozone, lift)

D1 Nautilus - $8,000 (includes delivery, setup, cover, starter chemicals, steps, ozone, lift)

Marquis Epic - $10,295 (includes delivery, setup, cover, starter chemicals, ozone) EXTRAs - (Lift $200, Steps $100)  Total = $10,595

Marquis Destiny- $9,597 (includes delivery, setup, cover, starter chemicals, ozone) EXTRAs - (Lift $200, Steps $100)  Total = $9,897

Hot Tub Forum

Wet test results.  Advice still needed!
« on: October 17, 2005, 12:02:21 am »

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
Re: Wet test results.  Advice still needed!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 12:33:12 am »
In MO, the prices you are quoting essentially match MO prices EXCEPT the Marquis Epic which seems to be running about $1300 high (compared to St. Louis prices unless Marquis has had a major price increase in the last two months).  I had a $8900 phone quote for the Epic to which I would have had to add steps and cover lifter like you, but they told on the phone we could "work that out".  I just never made it to them.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 12:38:23 am »
I was wondering is 6 in the spa going to be a regular thing for you and if so, how are the foot wells on all the spas for that , If I am not mistaken the foot well on the Epic is probably substantially the largest am I am wrong in thinking that. This is based on knowing the Epic and comparing it to other spas.

jdheffer

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 09:13:13 am »
I was wondering is 6 in the spa going to be a regular thing for you and if so, how are the foot wells on all the spas for that , If I am not mistaken the foot well on the Epic is probably substantially the largest am I am wrong in thinking that. This is based on knowing the Epic and comparing it to other spas.

The foot well in the Nautilus is large as is the Grandee.  The lounger tubs should not be too bad.  Six will not be the norm, but when there is six, any of these will work good enough for socializing.

Anybody else have any input on these prices?  Since I haven't haggled, I assume I can do better on most of them.  I am wrong in thinking this?

TCat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 03:36:00 pm »
I'm in Virginia and I have recently gotten these prices:  A Grandee that includes Ozone, lifter, dlivery, 220 box, chemicals and cover for 9399.oo.    The price I wrote down for the Destiny is8357.oo, but I don't recall exactly what was included with that.  I haven't wet tested anything yet.  How similar was the Destiny to the Euphoria?  I'm anxious to try them, but can't get my husband out to go with me.  It sounds like we have similar situations--I'm 5 ft, and my husband is 5' 11".  I really liked the Grandee when I looked, but that's the most expensive one of all we're considering right now.

jdheffer

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 10:32:47 pm »
 How similar was the Destiny to the Euphoria?  

They were very similar except the Destiny had more upright seating which was more comfortable for us.  The Euphoria kinda leaned back.  I did like the Tri-zone better on the Euphoria, it had a little more flexible than the Destiny.  If I remember correctly, it controlled two seats on each side.

I'm very interested to find out how much the Epic is in your area.  Please let me know when you find out........thanks!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 08:17:07 pm »
I got a price for am Epic in Wilmington Delaware today.
Including delivery, cover lifter and starter chemicals,
$9200.00.  Another dealer (in Pa,) quoted me $12,000 this afternoon for the same?? I can't understand that big difference. The dealers are probably 50 miles apart!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

jdheffer

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 09:45:38 pm »
I got a price for am Epic in Wilmington Delaware today.
Including delivery, cover lifter and starter chemicals,
$9200.00.  Another dealer (in Pa,) quoted me $12,000 this afternoon for the same?? I can't understand that big difference. The dealers are probably 50 miles apart!

That's crazy to have that big of difference.  The price I was quoted was $10,600 including delivery, lift, starter chemicals and steps.

pruned_hands

• Hot Springs Grandee Lover
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 10:21:15 pm »
I am awaiting delivery on a grandee  in Michigan and paid $8500 plus tax for tub, 220 box, delivery 60 miles away, setup including wiring pigtail to tub, and chemicals.  They also thru in  deluxe lift for $200 (allegedly $100 off).  It'll get here in two weeks and I swear my back has never been more sore!

I just finished wiring cable out to my deck so I am ready.  Good luck in your choices!  Choose the grandee...it is one gorgeous tub!

pruned hands

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 10:21:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42