What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Base pad material Cement/Crushed stone?  (Read 6848 times)

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
Base pad material Cement/Crushed stone?
« on: October 13, 2005, 07:27:55 pm »
Hiho!
I'm just getting into this. I'm still looking at spas, but I've gotten my landscaping guy to spec out a design. His first plan includes putting the spa on 8" of tamped crushed stone. Most of the installations I have heard about were on a concrete pad or flagstone or wood. Any advice on whether crushed stone would work well?
Thanks,
BearBath

Hot Tub Forum

Base pad material Cement/Crushed stone?
« on: October 13, 2005, 07:27:55 pm »

richny

Re: Base pad material Cement/Crushed stone?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 07:41:42 pm »

I am in the process of putting in a concrete pad...to help ensure stability.  I was told to stay away from less stable materials like gravel, wood directly on the ground, etc...in case it settles.
I was originally setting up to do a 4" slab...but was told tonight from a local plumber/contractor that he would go 6" minimum. Everything I have read indicates 4" with re-bar should be sufficient. The hot tub I am getting is a 6 person, 450 gallon unit.  Now I am not sure...my soil is very compacted...lots of shale...almost no loam or sand...so I figured 4" of concrete should be enough...but now I am second-guessing myself....any comments?
Tks
Rich

TMJ

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 08:37:51 pm »
We used crushed, tamped, stone for our base of 4" concrete. We went with dealer/manufacturer suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 08:38:58 pm by TMJ »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 08:42:53 pm »
Four inches of concrete is the minimum recommended thickness.  It sure won't hurt to go thicker than that.
Nothing to worry about there.
Brewman

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 05:38:51 am »
Hmm. The plan I got did not include a cement pad on top of crushed stone. It is just putting the spa directly on the crushed stone. Would that be a problem?
Thanks!
BearBath

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 07:56:45 am »
If done properly it could work.  I've heard of those who've put spas on pea rock.  As long as the base of your spa is evenly supported and level.  Check that such a base won't invalidate your warranty.  Not sure of your approach to the spa, but be careful to not track gravel into the spa.
Put a shallow pan of water at the base of the steps if you have to, some of that crushed rock dust might stick to your feet.
Brewman

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 06:30:06 pm »
Thanks! That is great advice on the pan of water. Once I pick out the spa, I'll also look at the warranty. Also Good advice! :)

ramdom

• Hydropool 625er.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 12:17:06 am »
We're digging down to 6" with gravel then stone dust, tamped of course. Then we're laying level patio stones overtop for the actual base, then interlock or something for the 4' long pathway. We're kinda against doing concrete as it's so permanent and unsightly. If we leave and take the tub it will just appear as extension of our existing patio, so that's why too.

We gotta get on it as the tub arrived yesterday and we're nowhere near ready as we just moved as well. Ai!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 12:17:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42