What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New spa "saga"!  (Read 4038 times)

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
New spa "saga"!
« on: October 01, 2005, 11:56:43 pm »
I've been "lurking" here for a couple of months...listening, learning, researching.  Tons of great info!!  Time now to share my story with the rest of you in case I can help anyone with a similar situation.  My new spa is an '05 Maxxus (about a month old) - an absolutely awesome product in my opinion!!  A problem with the spa was noted shortly after delivery (did not affect my ability to use spa).  Due to a confidentiality agreement, I cannot elaborate; I will say that the manufacturer passed this warranty test with flying colours!!  I am extremely pleased with the resolution of the issue, and would not hesitate to HIGHLY recommend Sundance products.  My next issue has been water treatment.  The second day I had the tub, a neighbor's kid was over...a day later the mother called to warn us about a rash that their doctor linked to hot tub use.  I was (unfortunately!) certain that our tub was not the cause, as I had researched chemical use carefully, and the water was so new, etc.  A short time (1 week?) later I was finding that I was very itchy...I started to wonder about pseudomonas aeruginosa.  I shocked the tub with about 6 times the daily dichlor dose, drained the tub, refilled with fresh water, shocked it again, and kept the chlorine high for a period of time.  Still the itchy skin persisted; I was hoping that it was related to dichlor, but since my wife works in a public health virology lab, I had her ask if someone in the water test division could run a sample.  2 days later and confirmation of my worst fear...pseudomonas aeruginosa-a-plenty!!  I have since found out that the shock required once it "sets up residence" in the spa is WAY higher than what I used last water change: about 2 cups, not 3 - 4 tablespoons!!!  I am in the process of this massive superchlorination dose...tomorrow I'll drain, clean cover, soak filter in an even higher concentration of dichlor, "scrub tub" etc.   I expect to get my new spa in a week or two, and you can bet your a-- that I'll be shocking a first fill HARD and draining it right away.  This is because I believe that the infection came from the test water at the factory.  I have read that this can be a common problem, and looking back, I remember soaking up pretty ugly water from the bottom during setup...that must also have been in the piping!  Anyway, soon the crane will arrive, I'll take apart my newly completed deck and pergola, install new tub, shock it, refill it,put everything back together, sit down in my new tub (which I bought to help reduce stress :-/) with a cold beer, and (hopefully!!) look back at this experience as a good lesson and "character builder" !!

P.S.  sorry for the long first post...had lots to get out of my system!

Hot Tub Forum

New spa "saga"!
« on: October 01, 2005, 11:56:43 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: New spa "saga"!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 12:28:49 am »
Wow, that's very interesting.  I had no idea that dirty water could be in the system from the factory.  Is that possible dealers?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 12:42:30 am »
I think most makers all water test their tubs....they try to remove all the water but there is a small residual so yes they can happen. That is why it is so important to do a proper start up, including shocking and a strong sanitizer.

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 12:58:25 am »
Just to clarify...dealer did perform a careful startup which included a shock of dichlor.  This pseudomonas aeruginosa rascal forms a "slime layer" which is resistant to a normal shock dose.  I believe this must have already taken place before delivery, and therefore the normal startup doseage was inadequate in this situation.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 08:17:58 am »
I did shock my tub with 1 cup of dichlor before use. Let it sit for 24 hours without heating and ran the pumps for over an hour, drained and refilled.

I was concerned about the water that the manufacturer uses and figured 24 hours wasn't a big deal after waiting a long time.

But others haven't done the super disinfection and they didn't have any problems!

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 10:18:25 am »
gotta hate that when a parent of another child calls.

we've had people buy or get spas from a friend, had no proper training, and wham, a kids birthday party and all the kids get rashes.

they certainly seek out the professionals once that happens.

In your case, it's unusual, but can happen. Your right, you'll probably never have this happen again, and you will look back and smile.

Once a month upon shocking with dichlor, take the super-chlorinated water from the spa and wipe the topsides of spa above the water line and underside of spa cover.

I got the rash once on the underside of my arms and back of my legs. not form the spa water, but from the top of the spa
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 10:37:03 am »
So I guess it's not a bad thing that my dealer runs every tub he sells 48 hours before delivering it to the customer.  This would verify there are no issues before delivery and get a sanitizing run in also.

cappykat

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 07:28:18 pm »
Thanks ssbraun...I printed out this post and I plan to reference it when our tub arrives.
2005 Marquis Epic

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 08:53:58 am »
Back in June when the dealer set up the spa, he filled it twice. The 1st time he supershocked it just because it had been sitting at his warehouse waiting for us and there was residual water from the factory.
We drained it and filled it again that day. No real problems with the water now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing.  

I got the impression our dealer always fills it twice, supershocking the 1st time.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 09:30:11 am »
Blame the kid.
07 Caldera Geneva

bob5820

• Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 05:09:13 pm »
... I got the impression our dealer always fills it twice, supershocking the 1st time.

Phil

How long did you let the 1st fill, the super shocked one, sit before draining it, and refilling. How much Dichlor did he use to super shock.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 05:09:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42