What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: using dichlor & mps?  (Read 2340 times)

hair

• artesian gives lust, jealousy gives regret
using dichlor & mps?
« on: September 14, 2005, 05:24:31 pm »
hi, i went to the pool place down the road,  the lady there had some mps non chlorine shock for 50% off.  i told her my routine. i add about 1 tsp. dichlor after use, and 7-10x that amount once a week.  she told me to use mps once a week to clear up the chloramines?  is she right, and if she is how much do i use?  i also use the nature 2 stick.

Hot Tub Forum

using dichlor & mps?
« on: September 14, 2005, 05:24:31 pm »

Soakin

Re: using dichlor & mps?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 05:35:16 pm »
Your weekly shock dose of dichlor is clearing up the chloramines.  MPS will also do that.  There are pros and cons to both and they have been discussed here in the past.  Do a search back a few months if you want more info or go over to rhtubs.com.  Doc has info in several different spots that discuss their relative merits, and the Vermonter post in the FAQ's outlines the reasons behind his preference for the program you are currently using.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 05:45:49 pm »
hi, i went to the pool place down the road,  the lady there had some mps non chlorine shock for 50% off.  i told her my routine. i add about 1 tsp. dichlor after use, and 7-10x that amount once a week.  she told me to use mps once a week to clear up the chloramines?  is she right, and if she is how much do i use?  i also use the nature 2 stick.

I assume she was suggesting using the MPS instead of the 7-10x of dichlor once per week.

Do you use ozone as well?

Did this lady know you were using Nature 2 as well?

MPS or dichlor can be used to remove the chloramines. How much depends on:
Volume of spa water
PPM of Chloramines (Total chlorine - Free Chlorine)

The bottle should you give you a ounce or gram / litre or galloon ratio for oxidizing.
Homeworks Financing Representative

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 05:47:57 pm »
I have been following your routine for about a week with good results.  Are you sure you want to switch?  Check out my post on this:

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1125679437
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 05:48:16 pm by marks »

hair

• artesian gives lust, jealousy gives regret
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 06:01:59 pm »
no , just wondering cause now i have 8 lbs. of mps that i bought for 6.50.  can i use dichlor and mps after using the spa?  say 1 tsp. dichlor and 1 or 2 tsp. mps.? or more?

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 10:04:32 am »
As has already been explained to you the once weekly hit with 7x dichlor takes care of the chloramines.  The reasons MPS might be used instead are situation dependent.  For example, your total chlorine reading is already high (say 5 ppm or more) and you need to shock.  At the same time, you want to use the tub on the same day you shock.  MPS would be a better choice in this circumstance.  

The use of MPS will increase total dissolved solids more than the use of dichlor for shock.  While I think it is fine to use MPS for shock as per above, dichlor is preferable for most situations.

As has been suggested already go to Doc's website (rhtubs.com) and check out the Vermonter's detailed information on dichlor.  I am totally convinced that his approach is superior to any other I am aware of.

Regards,

Bill

Regards,

Bill  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 01:56:14 pm »
Use the mps for your weekly shock.  From what I have read, it does a more complete job of oxidizing than a high dose of dichlor.  I actually use a cocktail of dichlor and mps to shock.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 02:24:27 pm »
If you live in a colder climate, MPS might save you some $ on heating your tub.

MPS effectively oxidizes in 15-20 minutes. A healthy dichlor shock (not a small treatment after using) will take 3-4 times longer to oxidize.

Therefore MPS will allow you less time with the cover off without damaging your cover. You will on the other hand use more TA+ or pH+ since MPS is much more acidic than dichlor.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 02:24:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42