What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Where does the neutral go?  (Read 15555 times)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Where does the neutral go?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 04:23:16 pm »
I'd check with the local authority in your area on the bonding thing.  I was told I had to bond my water spigot because it was grounded metal close enough to the spa water, it was either 5' or 6', can't remember.

Don't worry about the controversey thing.  Isn't bothering me any.  I enjoy a good electrical discussion.
By the time you're done with your project, you'll know more about wiring than you ever thought you would.
Breman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 04:23:16 pm »

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 07:48:27 pm »
Chas?  

Any input about my grounding and bonding response?

Also, I talked to a big electrical store, and they looked up and found that GE does not make a 60 amp GFCI for my panel.  Siemens (sp?) does, but they said that would not fit my panel.  I may have no choice but to pick up the 60 amp spa box that STL-REX wrote of, and re-do my set up outside.

Hubjeep

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 09:59:29 am »
Not to be argumentative, but my Square D 60 amp GFI breaker absolutely does not have a neutral terminal on it.  It is absolutely a GFI breaker, no question.
It has the 2 terminals for the hots, and the white pigtail, but nowhere to attach a neutral wire to it.  I thought it was strange too, and when I compared it to the identical brand/model 50 amp GFI, there definately was a neutral terminal on the 50.  It probably accounted for why my 60 amp breaker was about $15 cheaper than the same model/brand 50 amper.  

100% correct, I went through this YESTERDAY wiring my tub.

I initially fed the neutral from the tub through the neutral load side of the of the GFI (50A one in Lowes Square D “Spa Pack”) and ran it to the tub.  In this configuration the GFI would trip once power is supplied.

I called up a Vita Spa dealer who informed me the tub does not need a GFI supplied neutral, that actually a ground should run directly to the spa from the main panel main panel (one in the same since we have a common neutral bus bar).  

So one of the common bars in my spa pack has the incoming neutral, curley-Q neutral to the GFI, and the outgoing neutral.

-John

Hubjeep

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 10:10:24 am »
Not to be argumentative, but my Square D 60 amp GFI breaker absolutely does not have a neutral terminal on it.  It is absolutely a GFI breaker, no question.
It has the 2 terminals for the hots, and the white pigtail, but nowhere to attach a neutral wire to it.  I thought it was strange too, and when I compared it to the identical brand/model 50 amp GFI, there definately was a neutral terminal on the 50.  

Here are the directions I got with the 50, on the top of the page it shows the 60 too w/o the load neutral.

-John
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 10:11:41 am by Hubjeep »

leaky

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 01:50:27 pm »
STL-REX,

I just checked the Lowe's web page, and am getting no match for a 60 amp spa box.  50 amp comes up fine....

Do you have a description, part number, web address that I can use to try and locate this part?

Hubjeep

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2005, 02:24:31 pm »
STL-REX,

I just checked the Lowe's web page, and am getting no match for a 60 amp spa box...

Do you have a description, part number, web address that I can use to try and locate this part?

This one?
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=105741-76863-UG412RMW260P&lpage=none
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 02:25:01 pm by Hubjeep »

leaky

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2005, 02:52:02 pm »
HJ,

Thanks for the link, but when I click on it, it comes up as "This item no longer available".

leaky

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2005, 02:55:46 pm »
HJ,

Scratch that.  I switched my "shopping store" from Westminster to Huntington Beach, and it came up perfect.  Thanks for the help! :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2005, 02:55:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42